RAAF F-35 FINISHED.

ericg

Hi Eric,

A very good start and nice corrections you already apply to the kit.

Are you also going to alter the shape of the APU (IPP) exhaust next to the new panels?

More info that might help to correct the model can be found  here:

https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/f35-32/f35-32-1.htm

and here:

https://www.ipms.nl/walkarounds/walkaround-jets/2037-walkaround-f35-jsf

I hope it is useful to you.

I decided to skip the corrections and just build it, otherwise I would never finish it. ;)

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Peter

• 7 months later...

Hi Peter,

I will check it out.

I painted the model using MRP camouflage grey, then used the MRP Have Glass flat clear which has very small reflective chips in it. I then clear glossed the model using SMS clear and applied the decals.

I used the Ronin graphics 3 SQN decal sheet for the tail eagles and the serial numbers but elected to use the kit stencil data and roundels as they were a bit larger and more lighter.

IMG_1104-X5.jpg

IMG_1107-X5.jpg

I made up some intake bungs, and the small bung that goes into the small intake above the right side engine intake. I made some resin copies of these. I will make these available for purchase once I rework the intake bungs a bit more.

IMG_1088-X4.jpg

A small rope will be added to the bung.

IMG_1093-X5.jpg

IMG_1109-X5.jpg

• 6 months later...

Long time since the last update. I put this kit aside to concentrate on getting both my OV-10A and F-100D finished.  Now that they were done, I have done some more work. I remastered the intake bungs and added a lot more depth to them, also designing a small paint mask to enable me to paint the 3 SQN logo on them. I am not usually a fan of intake/exhaust covers but in this case, with a relatively boring paint scheme, they are essential to make the model pop.

91264856_3134052689975735_24937638615266

IMG_3486-X5.jpg

The ejection seat was the next area that I wanted to change. The kit one is OK, but differed from the excellent walk around photos of a seat that my good mate Peter took. 

I removed the back rest and made a new one from plastic card that I shaped and installed along with some Tamiya two part putty to make the large fairing behind it. I stippled Mr Surfacer over all of the cushion surfaces to give them texture, and then ditched the kit photo etch belts, cutting off the buckles and combining them with thin aluminium strip. I dressed the shoulder straps, hanging them behind the head rest as per some reference photos that I found.

IMG_3379-X5.jpg

The painted seat. Still have a few small placards to do. The black strips of the pull handle were done with the thin strip decal stripe that separates schemes on most Wingnut Wings kits. I painted the cushions with a Tamiya NATO black.

IMG_3482-X5.jpg

How it looks now. Sorta want to get this off my bench!

IMG_3478-X5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I pushed on and finished the model after getting sick of moving it out of the way to work on other stuff! 

The big challenge in this build was getting the FOD covers and bungs right. I felt that these were required to make the model ‘pop’ with its fairly boring grey scheme. From the time that I saw pics of the 3sqn aircraft with these in, it had to be done. I made up a four part mask to paint the exhaust bung. I attached the Aires vinyl remove before flight tags and matted them with some flat clear.

There is a thin dark yellow line around the cross which I hand painted that has been blown out by the photo and can’t be seen,  it I am pretty happy happy with how these turned out.

IMG_3757-X5.jpg

some pics of the completed model

IMG_3778-X5.jpg

IMG_3779-X5.jpg

IMG_3777-X5.jpg

IMG_3773_heic-4K.jpg

In its new home in my ‘mostly Aussie’ cabinet.

IMG_3784-X5.jpg

Looks excellent Eric.  Didn't realize how big of a plane it was until I saw it in context in the case.  Your extra touches always set your builds apart.

Is the Bulldog going to make a return to the bench?

Matt 

1 minute ago, scvrobeson said:

Looks excellent Eric.  Didn't realize how big of a plane it was until I saw it in context in the case.  Your extra touches always set your builds apart.

Is the Bulldog going to make a return to the bench?

Matt 

Thanks Matt.

I spent a couple of hours on the Bulldog a couple of days ago and come up against some more disappointing issues with the kit that are going to take a lot of work to figure out.

Amazing finish Eric! It’s a shame that due to the current environment Model Expo is cancelled, it would’ve been finished just in time, hopefully you’ll showcase it next year. 
But what an awesome looking display case, the F/A-18F with the F-35 is a shelf I think any modeller would be proud of!

52 minutes ago, Squizzy said:

Amazing finish Eric! It’s a shame that due to the current environment Model Expo is cancelled, it would’ve been finished just in time, hopefully you’ll showcase it next year. 
But what an awesome looking display case, the F/A-18F with the F-35 is a shelf I think any modeller would be proud of!

I wasn’t planning on getting this one finished in time for expo as the F-100D was always going to be my entry in the large scale jets category. With space limited in what I can get as carry on luggage, I can only usually carry one big jet. I might have to drive next year though as I will have a big backlog.