RAAF F-35 FINISHED.

ericg

6 hours ago, DonH said:

Nice work on the bung!

To my eye, it is a bit too far down the pipe. Should it be level with the faint line I can see running around the exhaust pipe?

I guess it depends on how far the ground crew push it into the hole. I haven’t glued it in place yet, it was just inserted there for the picture but yes, I have made it to fit where that faint line is. Cheers Don.

1 hour ago, alaninaustria said:

Damn Eric, you’re doing it again!! Some masterclass work happening here!! You should have been a surgeon mate - those corrections are top notch!! 

Now, I won’t be rattlin your chain about bungin’up exhausts... but that sculpting work is outstanding!! You should be casting those and selling them!!

Cheers

Alan

I may accidentally drop this in a silicone bath Alan, will see what happens.

Some more work on the FOD cover. Due to the complexity of the mask that I will make for spraying the 3 SQN logo, I wanted to have a few covers ready to practice in case I stuff it up. The cover is quite simple and lent itself well to being copied using a simple Pinkysil mould. No degassing or pressurisation here. Just make up a box around the part, mix your 2 part silicone in equal parts by weight and slowly pour it over the part. As can be seen, there are a few bubbles that have risen to the surface of the mould but as long as they are there and not around the part, then there won’t be any problems.

IMG_6546-X3.jpg

The first cast in resin inserted into the exhaust. I have made a few copies for later use. The handles will go on once I have painted the logo.

IMG_6567-X3.jpg

I am reasonably happy! Everything looks a lot better in resin.

IMG_6561-X3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys.

More on the exhaust bung later. 

The kit features some interesting engineering from Italeri, pretty standard stuff from them considering their previous Mirage kits. Rather than consign the kit shelf of doom as being ‘unbuildable’, I like to use these things to challenge myself to come up with interesting ways to fix them.

The bottom of the wing features some geometric shapes, I guess these are covering the hard points. Italeri placed the large one right next to the join, making the wig join hard to fix. If the kit was more precise, it would be too much of a problem but it is a little poor in this area and needs some work even if the shape wasnt there in there in the first  place. There is also a small shape that should be inboard of the larger shape which has been missed. Here is the bottom of the wing with the larger shape removed, and the join has been filled and smoothed. I have marked with a pencil where the old shape was.

IMG_6786-X3.jpg

Here is a screenshot of a high res photo of the area concerned (thanks Mark) imported to Sillhouette studio with the shapes that I wanted to cut traced in red.

Capture4-XL.jpg

Capture5-XL.jpg

Some .2mm plastic card was used In my cutter to form the new shapes. I didn’t cut all the way through, rather snapping these shapes out.

IMG_6787-X3.jpg

Applied to the model with Tamiya extra fine.

IMG_6789-X3.jpg

Primed.

IMG_6790-X3.jpg

I'm impressed to see that the cameo also cuts platic sheet. I always tought it would only cut masking film. May i ask what the thickest sheet is to cut on the cameo?

Nice Eric

What cut setting did you use on the Sillhouette cutter. The last time I tried to cut plastic card I used setting 5 but it did not cut through the card. I now cut  simple shapes in normal masking vinyl, then stick that on the plastic card and cut with a scissor or blade around the shape.

Cheers

Nick 

Edited by Cheetah11
spelling

2 hours ago, Fvdm said:

I'm impressed to see that the cameo also cuts platic sheet. I always tought it would only cut masking film. May i ask what the thickest sheet is to cut on the cameo?

I am not sure sorry. I am using .25mm card here.

1 hour ago, Cheetah11 said:

Nice Eric

What cut setting did you use on the Sillhouette cutter. The last time I tried to cut plastic card I used setting 5 but it did not cut through the card. I now cut  simple shapes in normal masking vinyl, then stick that on the plastic card and cut with a scissor or blade around the shape.

Cheers

Nick 

Hi Nick,

using blade ratchet setting 5 with a force of 15. It cut through enough to be able to easily snap the parts out of the sheet with only a small clean up with a sanding stick.

1 hour ago, DonH said:

Your bung looks great and will be a superb addition when painted up.

Is there another diamond shape missing just aft of the wing roundel?

Thanks.

I spotted that. It is only on the port wing and I am looking for a pic to cross check what it is.

20 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Nice work Eric - you’ve got a great solution for almost everything! Classic Aussie!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks mate. Coming up with solutions is my favourite part of the hobby and it keeps me interested.

I have completed preliminary design work of the logo on the exhaust FOD cover. Using studio software I traced each component of the logo individually based upon colour and then modified each part to suit the way that I felt the machine would cut it best.

Here is the enlarged design with all the elements together.

Capture3-XL.jpg

I then shrank the design to size the diameter of the outer circle to 17mm. Each part was separated again and placed into its own mask area ready to try and paint this. The design is pushing the machine to its limits, and these elements will need some tweaking to ensure that it sprays well. Hopefully it works! My idea will be to spray the yellow and cream of the circle and shield, black outline of the design, yellow cross with its dark yellow outline, outer yellow 3, blue wings and inner 3, yellow outline of the eagle wings and head and and then finally the white Southern Cross stars.

Capture2-XL.jpg

Having recently used my Silhouette to make myself a Gruppe 1 JG 27 badge that surprisingly came out amazingly well, I can say with 100% certainty, that the little Silhouette cutters have completely changed modeling for me. 

I love being able to draw up most any design and cut it out save a 3D type. 

Well done! 

Close examination of photos revealed a small change was required on the underside of the fuselage. Italeri had the same layout of panels on both sides of the fuselage whereas the photo of the RAAF aircraft showed a very different story.

Here is the panel in question, a double up of what it looks like on the other side.

IMG_6784-X3.jpg

The excellent photo of the underside reveals a different configuration in front of the APU exhaust, with raised detail and shapes. 

1-X3.jpg

I removed all of the raised detail and filled the panel lines. notice that I also continued a panel line through to the rear corner of the wheel well by scribing it along the raised panel that Italeri have in place.

IMG_6797-X3.jpg

Using Studio, I traced the new panels required from the photo above and manipulated them to fit.

Capture7-L.jpg

I cut these from oramask to check for fit and did this a couple of times until I was happy.

IMG_6808-X3.jpg

Once happy, I cut these on plastic card.

IMG_6810-X3.jpg

I had marked the position of each part when I had the Oramask parts in place. This enabled me to glue the plastic card parts in place with Tamiya Extra fine.

IMG_6812-X3.jpg

Primed.

IMG_6839-X2.jpg