Airfix 1/24 F6F Hellcat Cockpit

airscale

4 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Excellent presentation, Peter.

Buttons, crank, and T handles come with the kit?

And the red buttons also?  Which are what? 

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks all,

Yes Mark, this is just the kit, or the set:

..the T handles for the Gun controls in the centre console are in the kit, the big round pointed switches below them were removed from the kit part and added back, and the T handle to the left of the instrument panel is in the PE set

..the red buttons on the big panel under the R/H console are the kit moulding with a decal added - with Micro Sol added and left to settle, the decal conforms to the button shapes to a pleasing result

..there are also holes wherever there are throw switches, but these need to have the plastic kit parts drilled and added from sprue / wire

HTH

Peter

Guest Vincent
On 4/16/2019 at 11:47 PM, dodgem37 said:

panel55_zpsoka11bqi.jpg

Domed and recessed fasteners.  Above and beyond the standard.  More like stamped than photo-etch.  How was this made?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Just like any PE, nothing special

looks super impressive, but what about the glass for the dials?

does one have to source that oneself?

in 1/32 you can get away without it but in this scale it's necessary I would have thought

52 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

looks super impressive, but what about the glass for the dials?

does one have to source that oneself?

in 1/32 you can get away without it but in this scale it's necessary I would have thought

From the product page:

Includes a small sheet of optically clear replacement simulated instrument glass

1 hour ago, petrov27 said:

From the product page:

Includes a small sheet of optically clear replacement simulated instrument glass

Also noted in my review: "Included in the set is an approximately 6 cm x 10 cm single fret of 16 parts in stainless steel; an approximately 6 cm x 6 cm decal sheet, an approximately 5 cm x 7 cm clear piece of acetate, and a 13 cm x 18 cm card with full color instructions."

I’m still not clear - if you’ll pardon the pun - of what comes with these sets.

is it an acetate sheet one has to punch and die out oneself? (No interest)

or are they pre cut?

Or...?

You get the etch parts, decals with dials and whatnot that you stick down on a backing plate. A thin acetate sheet that you then place over the decals you just put down on the backing, its a square sheet so will need to be trimmed to the panel shape.( I however cheat and dont use the acetate sheet. I skip it and use a UV Glue for the dial faces after the panel face is added and dried in place and the whole thing has been completed and matt coated and is ready to add to the cockpit). You then add the final part, which is the instrument panel face. So basically you sandwich the layers to get the final product.

As Ade said, the thin clear acetate sheet is sandwiched between the backing sheet with the dial decals, and the photo-etch instrument panel. The result is thin and convincing, and the photo-etch dials line up absolutely perfectly with the openings. This is the Airscale P-51D in 1/24 scale as an example, from my Airfix Mustang build:

cAGLKbml.jpg

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1%2F24+toggle+switch&_sacat=0 

Hi all, I see this calls for adding switches.  As this is on 1/24 scale it is possible to get 1/24 scale after market switches made for race car models.  Top Studio out of japan makes some pretty nice toggles.  There are some other makers like KA models also that will help you fill in your toggle switches.  I have added a link to ebay listing some options.

Edited by cbk57