1/32 F-14D VF-213 - Finished!

Marcel111

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the Mig Ammo walkway paste for the first time. Must say I am really impressed, it's very easy to use and the results are more realistic than what I could achieve with the textured paint method I was previously using. One minor watch-out is not to layer it on too thickly around the masking tape, else you'll get an uneven tear when removing the tape.

K8YoeA.jpg

kCizAh.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Looking great Marcel!  Those walkways are nice and crisp.

As for your wing glove problems, I have felt this pain before, hence a new rule:  If it takes clamps with any kind of meaningful pressure to get the parts to fuse together, don’t do it!  The join always seems to separate later, especially after painting.  

Cheers,

Chuck

20 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Looking great Marcel!  Those walkways are nice and crisp.

As for your wing glove problems, I have felt this pain before, hence a new rule:  If it takes clamps with any kind of meaningful pressure to get the parts to fuse together, don’t do it!  The join always seems to separate later, especially after painting.  

Cheers,

Chuck

Yes, and you would think I would have learned my lesson from when the whole assembly came apart on me after I clamped everything together. In this case I felt like I had no other choice though. Oh well, the underside of this model will never be the greatest, I am focusing on getting the parts right that will be visible as the model stands.

Took some quick IPhone pics of the model before I headed into the mountains. The skunk stripe is on, which is actually very dark blue with a slightly lighter blue border... on the pics it looks about black, as does the real thing.

iAF06v.jpg

yStIAJ.jpg

This is how those vents turned out. I used the Scale Navy Stuff parts, which fit perfectly. However, those tore off of the nose section at some point and from there on in it was a huge amount of filling and sanding to get everything together again. I chose to use Archer rivets as fasteners because I did not want to risk pressing rivets into the brittle superglue/filler composite. Not entire accurate since those fasteners are actually flush but I will live with it. Also note GPS receiver.

d1JRp1.jpg

Snapshot of the front section, you can see the skunk stripe blues a little better here.

Notice the formation light stips, which I have airbrushed on. 

AmotUW.jpg

I had not noticed that the front one is solid while the rear one is cut into two halves, looks like I will need to correct this... which I am really not keen on doing since with this build it seems every step forward results in half a step back.

smaLoW.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

1 hour ago, Marcel111 said:

Took some quick IPhone pics of the model before I headed into the mountains. The skunk stripe is on, which is actually very dark blue with a slightly lighter blue border... on the pics it looks about black, as does the real thing.

iAF06v.jpg

yStIAJ.jpg

This is how those vents turned out. I used the Scale Navy Stuff parts, which fit perfectly. However, those tore off of the nose section at some point and from there on in it was a huge amount of filling and sanding to get everything together again. I chose to use Archer rivets as fasteners because I did not want to risk pressing rivets into the brittle superglue/filler composite. Not entire accurate since those fasteners are actually flush but I will live with it. Also note GPS receiver.

d1JRp1.jpg

Snapshot of the front section, you can see the skunk stripe blues a little better here.

AmotUW.jpg

I had not noticed that the front one is solid while the rear one is cut into two halves, looks like I will need to correct this... which I am really not keen on doing since with this build it seems every step forward results in half a step back.

smaLoW.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Beautiful work Marcel! 

Quick Google search on the slime lights, it doesn't appear that all D's had a solid front light? Or, is that image you posted your exact jet you're building? If so, disregard....

Brett, thanks for your comment... The initial pics I came up with all had the solid front slime light, but I have now found even pics of D's with the front light also split. So I will keep as is. I have no pics of 200 where I can as retain this for sure.

Thx Petr... not sure I understand your question...

Cheers,

Marcel

19 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

smaLoW.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

I bet if you you hunt around, you can find a pic of the front light being split.  Formation lights are notorious for being all over the map for both color and configuration.  I’d leave that nice looking light alone.

Also, in the small chance you weren’t doing this already, make sure you paint that tiny notch at the bottom front of the titanium gun shield gray.   90% of the Tomcat builds I’ve seen miss this small, but characteristic detail.

Cheers,

Chuck

I won’t go so far as to call the slime lights consumables, but they’re parts that can go bad, and are removed and replaced quite frequently.  Depending on what’s in the supply stock and what lot from what manufacturer, and you get what you get. I’d go with it, and not worry about it.

-Peter

• 1 month later...

Here are some some overall shots of where I am now. Still have many little flaws to fix and details to add, so the close-ups will come later.

ooIcLo.jpg

fZQXtq.jpg

I used Vallejo acrylic metal paints for the first time, on the leading edge. Love the result, I won't be using the toxic smelling alternatives much anymore.

I really need to coat the leading edge with flat, but it's so nice to see something shiny on this Cat that I am having a hard time dulling down that metal finish.

IvJkI4.jpg

Love the Fightertown decals.

ChLdA3.jpg

wgZzRF.jpg

For the carbon fiber shrouds, I used a mix of gunmetal and gloss black (one of the rare instances where I still use enamels, in this case Modelmaster). After the first coat I added more gloss black to the mix and sprayed through a screen placed on the surface of the model to give a very subtle hashed look. So subtle you hardly see it here, but then again it's pretty subtle on the real thing.

SwpKTK.jpg

The AAQ-25 is sourced from the Academy F-16 kit. The Trumpeter pod looks really wrong since the leading edge of the intake is curved in side-on perspective, it should be completely straight. Here is my pod, complete with paint stripping off the front, as often seen on the real thing:

IKf40g.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111