Revell F/A-18E spine and other thoughts

Dave Williams

11 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Torn weather to sell my Trumpeter one with aftermarket to go with this one OOB.

Hmmmmm.

I wouldn’t sell my Trumpeter kits at least until I saw what aftermarket came out for the Revell kit, including any fixes for the spine and strengthened landing gear, knew how the Revell kit built up, and knew how the soft plastic was going to hold up.

On 7 March 2019 at 1:12 AM, Mark M said:

err quite big

IMG_20190217_114431-M.jpg

Thanks. Yes, unless that's a tiny chair that's buy-to-build (too big to stash or have hanging around half built) sized. 

Also waiting for bronze or brass legs, for the kit that is, before deciding whether or not to buy.

I think the spine can be fixed by back-filling and sanding, ditto. 

The diamond vents will probably be done as part of an Eduard exterior set. Unfortunately that might mean heading towards one of those monster Eduard packs (the ones that often come with useless RBF tags in metal rather than fabric) to get some sidewall stuff and the rudder pedals. 

Tony

Edited by Tony T
still learning that predictive text and autospell need to be turned off

No build thread, but a friend of mine WAS building it. The fit and engineering is so bad he gave up on it about 1/2 of the way through. And he's not a quitter, so shelving it tells me a lot. Lotsa issues attaching the wheel bay section, main fuselage, cockpit fuselage, and LERX. A rumor is floating around on the interwebs that RoG is not producing any additional kits (after the initial batch sells out) and sending it back to the drawing boards for rework to solve the myriad fit issues. I don't necessarily believe that, but, that's the rumor. 

Thanks, that really inspires me to start this :unsure: the hornet has always been my Nemisis kit, ive binned 2 x 1/48 versions as i just couldnt get them right

as i plan to do mine in flight ( due to the soft landing gear) i may be able to circumvent the wheel bay issues

im an admin on Revellations forum and have direct links to RoG and weve not heard / been told of any issues, infact we asked for a review sample of the 'F' and last i heard it had been agreed ( but no time frame for it given) If i do hear anything ill post it up

Revell seems an oddity.   They put out excellently researched and done kits (for the most part) like the P-51D, then they put out kits like this that seem off shape wise in majorly seen areas with overly complex assembly steps that would seem to generally boggle a builder. I realize every manu has different teams working on things, but sometimes I wonder how the process comes to fruition, and how kits come out so differently (Trumpeter also comes to mind).

On 3/12/2019 at 3:43 AM, Starfighter said:

Why? Because of all the "excellent" reviews the Revell kit is getting? 

I haven't devoted much time to it yet, just skimming over posts.