Revell F/A-18E spine and other thoughts

Dave Williams

Having seen the built Revell kit several times already, I can tell you they have neither corrected the spine nor the canopy. The Trumpeter kits has lots of flaws, lacks detail and is rather annoying to build, but it is much better proportioned than the Revell kit and it even seems to be easier to build. Someone on Facebook is building the Revell kit and it looks like an utter nightmare to assemble. 

The forward cockpit tub and firewall is formed from the upper front portion of the NLG well assembly (parts 100-101) — see stages 26-27 of the instructions. 

Eduard will furnish the inevitable rudder pedals and trompe l'oeil instrumentation. 

The complexity of the assembly process actually appeals, like some kind of puzzle. I'm more of a whittler and fettler than a decorator.

The OOB scheme looks pretty nice, so just waiting for bronze LG legs.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
part number correction

On 2/22/2019 at 4:07 AM, Starfighter said:

Having seen the built Revell kit several times already, I can tell you they have neither corrected the spine nor the canopy. The Trumpeter kits has lots of flaws, lacks detail and is rather annoying to build, but it is much better proportioned than the Revell kit and it even seems to be easier to build. Someone on Facebook is building the Revell kit and it looks like an utter nightmare to assemble. 

I am working on the Revell 1/32 Me-262 2 seater right now.  This is a 2016 new tool kit, yet it has blown my mind as a time machine back to the 1970s.  The molding quality is atrocious.  

The Revell name represents really low quality kits at really low prices.

It's up to the modeler to decide what he is looking for from a model kit.

Either buy this Revell F-18 and deal with it, or pass it by!  Not that difficult in the final analysis.

Sounds like a hit n miss operation?

I built their new release Spitfire and liked it so much I bought a second one, thinking the new kits were all a hit I got the Bf 109 G10 and gave up on it when it got too fiddly, (both kits need brass landing gear) 

up in the air over this F-18 now...( no actual pun intended)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, timvkampen said:

....so, how about Tamiya then?

How about Tamiya what?  They haven’t done a 1/32 Super Bug, and it’s extremely unlikely they ever will.  We’ll probably be lucky to get any more 1/32 kits from them at all.

I’d like to keep this thread focused on 1/32 Super Hornet kits that actually exist.  No diversions to other kits Revell or Trumpeter have done, or to other manufacturers.  Thanks.

Anyone got the box dimensions to list? 

Not a case of trying to sneak one through the door but more a case of how much I might need a plastic lidded crate to house a started kit. 

Tony 

45 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

Anyone heard a release date for the US?

Greg

There is no active US distributor for Revell, that I’m aware of.  Some have claimed that they’ve heard that there is one, but until there is proof of that, I’m skeptical.  

Not going to get a date until someone steps up and officially announces they will be distributing Revell kits in the US, and they announce that kits will be arriving by a certain date or timeframe.  Until that happens, I’m assuming that the only way to get the kits is from overseas sources.

Edited by Dave Williams