Revell F/A-18E spine and other thoughts

Dave Williams

19 minutes ago, Cees Broere said:

Although very interesting to see these kind of posts regarding "accuracy", they are souldestroying (at least to me) and take the fun out of modelling.

But hey that is just my opinion.
Party on.
Cees

I sometimes feel the same way, but I've learned to ignore it and just build my stuff oob (mostly). You don't HAVE to fix these issues if you don't want to. I had to teach myself that and it helps. Build for yourself, build for fun, fix whatever you want. And those wo do want the most accurate F-18 or B-24 will be happy to have all the info they can get. Best get back OT now I think. ;)

There were issues with the spine and canopy shape, but they definitely corrected them. I'm really surprised by the cockpit. How does the company responsible for some of the most beautiful 32nd scale helicopter kits provide something like that in a new kit?

Not sure if I'll get the E, but will get the F for sure. Nice mini review Dave!

Thanks for the detailed review of the area that has received the most criticism: the spine. It looks more right than wrong, so I can only assume that those of us used to the lines of the classic Hornet just find the Super plain ugly — and were unconsciously identifying the spine as the culprit. Not quite as Jurassic Park as the MiG-29SMT, but these beefy necked machines are so ungainly. 

With the Blues getting their jets in a year or so I can see the model becoming more popular. However, the F is unquestionably the prettier sister and I know which version I'd prefer on the bench. 

The qualitative review was also very useful. Soft plastic does not bode well for the cantilever undercarriage, which will likely need to be replaced. I would go as far to say that I'd want to see some bronze dangly bits before buying the kit. SAC will undoubtedly put out some soft, ineffective, crap so this really needs G-Factor or Brassin brass-bronze treatment. 

Thanks again Dave.

Tony

Thanks for the review Dave, I agree about the spine, I think it is a lot better. For the cockpit I think I'll use some of the parts left over from the Academy kit to dress up the cockpit or maybe a late model F/A-18C cockpit as I have a couple of those sitting around.

Dave

Thanks for the comments.  I’ll do some pictures of the Trumpeter kit later.  I will say that I think the Trumpeter cockpit is much better than the Revell one.  Revell really dropped the ball on this, I think.  Maybe they assumed everyone was just going to buy an Eduard or resin cockpit set, but still it doesn’t seem right for what most people expect from a 2018/2019 new tool kit.

One more note on the spine.  I cleaned up the part for the “installed” shot.  The kit spine insert is a multipart mold with right and left slides in addition to the normal top and bottom mold halves.  You need to do a little light sanding to remove the faint mold lines where the sides meet the top (and also to clear up some surface irregularities), and doing that naturally rounds off the corners of the spine, which improves the look.

Right now, my biggest concern is the softness of the plastic.  I don’t have positive vibes about the gear holding up the the weight, especially with the multi-part breakdown of the MLG legs.  Also, wondering about whether the wings are going to sag too.

Edited by Dave Williams

A friend of mine is building this kit right now. Just wait until you get to the construction steps dealing with integrating the wheel bays, fuselage, LERX, and cockpit! I think my friend is gonna throw the thing against the wall pretty soon! I was seriously thinking of getting this kit, but now that build reviews are appearing, it's highly unlikely. Please keep posting your build experiences, as I'm very interested in the outcome. 

Pictures of the TRUMPETER spine.  Note the lack of the “bump” at the front of the spine, which is the end of the fairing at the rear of canopy.  Trumpeter made the rear of the canopy end on the movable part of the canopy, which is wrong.  Revell got it right.  As a note, I had started doing some work on the kit long ago, which is why it’s been primed and sanded.  Also, the Trumpeter kit doesn’t have cockpit sidewalls either.  I added some simple sheet plastic to make a sidewall.

L

L

L

L

22 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Some photos of the kit spine from different angles. 

L

L

Comparing with the pic from the F-A-18 Es on Prime Portal and  ARC's sites  reproduced here under fair use of images for illustration purposes only,  22.jpg

01.jpg,

09.jpg

F16