RF-8G Trumpeter & Fisher Model

EricF

Thanks for your support and positive comment.

Finally...phew ... I have reached my objective in remodeling the shape of the forward fuselage.

I have been working for four days on it but in the end it worth the energy and patience used to it.

I sprayed 5 times primer with the sanding work coming with. The most difficult had been to reproduce the flat surface starting from the camera bay to the nose.

The shape of the air  intake looks better now.

Honnestly this build is far to be an easy one but the is the cost for an unique aircraft model.

I keep working hard on it because I'm waiting for the Kinetic Mirage 2000 that probably would be my next project after this RF-8.

190627075657595451.jpg

19062707570064732.jpg

190627075701912097.jpg

190627075702357462.jpg

I return to my work bench preparing the next update, stay tuned.

Cheers

Eric

Edited by EricF

Eric, those shape fixes look great.

In fairness to Paul, he did the best he could with the info he had. Bill Spidle and I managed to get him the Vought factory drawings, but how much he used them, and where he was in the patternmaking when he got them, i don't know.

Regards your earlier comment about the Aires nose wheel well: If i use the Fisher nose wheel well, will the Aires cockpit tub give me fit problems? i got one on the way from the late great "Superheat"'s kit stash.

-d-

David, I agree with you and I mesure how it had been difficult for Paul to make the master. I discover every day that reproducing to scale all the different volumes and their intersections is by far a difficult task, especially for the flat surfaces on each side of the fuselage.

Nevertheless,  I am really involved in this build in regards to Paul's great job in this kit.

Concerning the nose wheel well, I have discovered that Fisher's one has better dimensions than the Aires. Aires wheel well is a bit larger to fit the Trumpeter kit. Since I dimesionned my Stations 3 and 4 windows according to it, they look too small now on my model. Honestly I discovered this issue yesterday when I made the stiffener plate :-)))

Anyway, it is too late now. The perfection does not exist and it is only a hobby. ;-) 

So, I recommend to use the Fisher wheel well instead of the Aires and it will be easier to install. 

It is the same for the air intake which looks too big on the Trumpeter kit. Again according to me, Fisher intake looks good compared to the real thing.

Thanks for your sharing and comments David.

Eric

Eric i will proceed with the Fisher wheel well. Especially since i have it painted, LOL.

My biggest concern right now is the cross section at the belly. The forward belly was flat as a pancake, but the resin parts have sort of a tenuous mating surface and i feel that if i don't somehow clamp the lower surface to something perfectly flat while gluing, the end result will resemble a Revell Germany kit box..

Know what i mean??

-d-

13 minutes ago, David Hansen said:

Eric i will proceed with the Fisher wheel well. Especially since i have it painted, LOL.

My biggest concern right now is the cross section at the belly. The forward belly was flat as a pancake, but the resin parts have sort of a tenuous mating surface and i feel that if i don't somehow clamp the lower surface to something perfectly flat while gluing, the end result will resemble a Revell Germany kit box..

Know what i mean??

-d-

Yep!

Mine had been initially tortured by dipping it in boiling water to take benefit of shape memory of the resin. Next, I repeated the process several times until recovering the flat belly in forcing on it. The resin is very flexible and depth enough that avoids any risk of brake. Then after, I sanded down the belly on a sheet of sand paper on a flat surface. 

It worth working patiently on this kit because this airplane is really fabulous.

Eric

18 hours ago, David Hansen said:

Eric, those shape fixes look great.

In fairness to Paul, he did the best he could with the info he had. Bill Spidle and I managed to get him the Vought factory drawings, but how much he used them, and where he was in the patternmaking when he got them, i don't know.

Regards your earlier comment about the Aires nose wheel well: If i use the Fisher nose wheel well, will the Aires cockpit tub give me fit problems? i got one on the way from the late great "Superheat"'s kit stash.

-d-

There is a funny phenomenon, Paul and I have discussed several times, that no matter how accurate a kit is someone will see flaws in the shape.  In fact, Paul specifically mentioned to me that sometimes you have to meet expectations of shape, rather than true representation.  

With that said, David your and Bill's work ended up in my hands.  The factory drawings were plotted in CAD at 1:1 scale and using noted dimensions and x, y, and z coordinates the factory drawing were "corrected" to reduce distortion from copying and draftmans' errors.  3D surfaces were constructed from those cross sections and profiles, and then scaled to fit the rear section of the Trumpeter Kit.  The 3d model was then CNC cut to provide masters for Paul to do his magic and convert the solid part provided to the kit.

Eric,

Do not read this as criticism of your build.  To the contrary, you are building to suit your vision and the results are very good so far.  I'm looking forward to kits completion and see what else you have in store.

Cheers,

Timmy!

48147345666_00d32cd50c_b.jpg

5 hours ago, Timmy! said:

There is a funny phenomenon, Paul and I have discussed several times, that no matter how accurate a kit is someone will see flaws in the shape.  In fact, Paul specifically mentioned to me that sometimes you have to meet expectations of shape, rather than true representation.  

With that said, David your and Bill's work ended up in my hands.  The factory drawings were plotted in CAD at 1:1 scale and using noted dimensions and x, y, and z coordinates the factory drawing were "corrected" to reduce distortion from copying and draftmans' errors.  3D surfaces were constructed from those cross sections and profiles, and then scaled to fit the rear section of the Trumpeter Kit.  The 3d model was then CNC cut to provide masters for Paul to do his magic and convert the solid part provided to the kit.

Eric,

Do not read this as criticism of your build.  To the contrary, you are building to suit your vision and the results are very good so far.  I'm looking forward to kits completion and see what else you have in store.

Cheers,

Timmy!

48147345666_00d32cd50c_b.jpg

Very interresting input Timmy about the genesis of this kit!

Thanks for sharing.

You are absolutely right when you say building a kit to suit our modeler vision. I have an exemple: the Mig 21 MF from Trumpeter which wrong in shapes around everywhere. In the end with an extended nose and a good finish we obtain a beautiful result. I think specially about the romanian one I built several month ago.

Sometimes we think that we are right in correcting something and months later we discover that we did a missinterpretation of a picture.

I agree with your point of view.

Do not hesitate to bring your feedback if you see that I am wrong somewhere.

Greetings from France

Eric

Hi everyone,

I have work on the fin. I made the trailing edge as thin as possible, I modified the position of the rudder actuator. The CME are made from the one furnished in the Fisher kit. 

190709093740554365.jpg

19070909374180681.jpg

Just for comparison, we have the non corrected fin of the F-8E on the left

190709093743152183.jpg

190709093743912451.jpg

Bye

Eric