RF-8G Trumpeter & Fisher Model

EricF

Another Crusader !

As annonced in the other thread, I am starting the RF-8G in parallel with the F-8E and the F-8E (FN)

I will use the Avionics F-8J set for the LOX tank and the MB Mk7, the Aires exhaust ( PW J-57 P20) and cockpit as well.

19022006385240268.jpg

19022006422175880.jpg

The fuselage had been cut and is already rescribed 

190220063850914880.jpg

Cheers

Eric

Edited by EricF

Hi !

I'm back today with some work on the wings 

At that step, the aim is at checking the dry fitting of the new dorsal spine with the kit wings

I strictly followed the instructions from Paul.

Here are the different steps on the following pics

Step 1

Removing of the regular Crusader dorsal spine by cutting alongside the black line 

190221060228699544.jpg

190221060231655097.jpg

Next pic is to show how the fuselage of the Recce version is different from the standard one 

The dorsal spine is much larger

19022106023167034.jpg

Step 2

Cutting the forward bulkhead from the underside wing part. A specific larger one is provided in the kit to receive a photo etched part

190221060236664644.jpg

Step 3

Some sanding on the edges of the wings and on spine is necessary to be able, to step by step, to plug the upper side on the underside of the wing. Nothing difficult and seriously Paul did a great job !!!

The gap we see on the left wing root is because of me. I had the hand a little bit heavy on the sand paper. I will fill it in later with a thin steerene part.

190221060235690610.jpg

Bye and thanks for watching 

Stay tuned 

Eric

I am still preparing all the main parts of the air frame.

The main challenge of this build will be on the junction between the Fisher Model and the Trumpeter half fuselages. Since each part having a landing gear, if the alignment is not perfect right now, the aircraft will have a twisted looking once on its legs and when we see the hight of the fin, it would be preferable to put attention on the preparation of the parts.

But take a look on the pics ..... no comment on the adjustment. Well done Mr Fisher :clap2:

To reach this, I just put the fuselage under hot water for the resins recovering its original shape. But honestly it was really minor distortion. Then I sanded each half fuselage on the sand paper sheet over a glass table.

To make sure to have a perfect symmetry, I will glue the fore and aft parts together first. I will recover two half fuselages like on a conventional kit afterwards.

190221101840305610.jpg

190221101841100737.jpg

Since now the four parts of fuselage had been adjusted on a plane surface, it is time for gluing them together.

I started first by attaching each fore part on its aft one. It is very fragile because they are attached on the only depth of plastic with cyano.

Next I attached the new two alf fuselage together with tape and a big clamp on the fin. The aim is at checking precisely the final alignment and the symetry before gluing stiffeners inside each alf fuselage.

Here below some pics for illustration.

19022206095114239.jpg

190222060953531758.jpg

190222060955395748.jpg

190222060956367441.jpg

The final result here below

190222060959396985.jpg

190222061000152326.jpg

And the Aires wheel well is almost drop and fit ! In fact I have to match the depth of resin the one of the plastic kit. But it is a good surprise right now 

190222061005110830.jpg

That's all for now 

Cheers

Eric 

It looks really good so far Eric. I have one started as well, but i got bogged down in the cockpit and since its being built for someone else, i have a Tamiya F-14A in the works for *me* that i want to get knocked out first. I haven't chopped the fuselage halves yet; following the instructions pretty much word for word.

When you test fit the cameras onto the tabs mounted onto the sides of the intake trunk, you'll notice the attachment is rather loose and floppy. Bonding some plastic strip onto the tabs to thicken em up (i think) will make the attachment more robust. The integrated nose/intake trunk is sort of a critical piece to "muscle" the left and right fuselage halves into position (it overcomes some slight distortions that are endemic to the resin casting process), and you also want to make sure the underside of the fuselage is perfectly flat, and not slightly bowed in like a Revell Germany kit box.

Just some observations based on what i encountered so far. Feel free to use or discard as you see fit.

-d-

On 2/23/2019 at 6:11 PM, David Hansen said:

It looks really good so far Eric. I have one started as well, but i got bogged down in the cockpit and since its being built for someone else, i have a Tamiya F-14A in the works for *me* that i want to get knocked out first. I haven't chopped the fuselage halves yet; following the instructions pretty much word for word.

When you test fit the cameras onto the tabs mounted onto the sides of the intake trunk, you'll notice the attachment is rather loose and floppy. Bonding some plastic strip onto the tabs to thicken em up (i think) will make the attachment more robust. The integrated nose/intake trunk is sort of a critical piece to "muscle" the left and right fuselage halves into position (it overcomes some slight distortions that are endemic to the resin casting process), and you also want to make sure the underside of the fuselage is perfectly flat, and not slightly bowed in like a Revell Germany kit box.

Just some observations based on what i encountered so far. Feel free to use or discard as you see fit.

-d-

Thanks David !

I will take into account your feed back 

I already have corrected some distortion by dipping the fuselage into boiling water.  The resin is very soft indeed and some manipulations with care are correcting the bowed effect of the inderside.

And as you could have noticed, I decided, for the reason you mentioned, to not  following the instructions by assembly the intake trunk like it is done in the Trumpeter kit.

I will see later  if I took the good way to proceed.

Cheers

Eric

On 2/23/2019 at 11:04 PM, Gene said:

Excellent build!!! Please don't leave anything out - I'll be following your footsteps on a similar build.  Thanks for posting.

Thanks Gene.

I will do my best to post updates every two days 

Eric

Tonight I assembled the wing in deployed configuration and it will be represented in up position 

The little issue regarding the shapes of the resin part is that it is flat and not reproducing the wing profile. We can see it on one of the pics.

I will correct it with putty.

Here are pictures showing the wing right after assembly.

190224113719619758.jpg

190224113720781306.jpg

190224113722714141.jpg

190224113723820993.jpg

Bye for now

Eric