BIG 1/18 Fw190a-8

Gisbod

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Ahhhhhh I remember those days!   I used to love, LOVE going to the local hobby shop with my dad and getting to look at all the stuff. It was legit some of the happiest times of my life.  Some of the happiest memories were of getting to occasionally take home one of the giant 1/24th kits with retractable landing gear, like the venerable MPC kits like the Harrier, Spitfire Fw-190 and P-51. 

Good times. 

Same for me Brian,

My happiest memories are getting a model kit on a Saturday morning and all finished by tea time! A big Airfix beast at Christmas was heaven!

1 hour ago, BlackCanopy said:

I think these molds were originally done for some factory assembled & painted toy, which would not only explain the screw points, but also the rather poor fidelity and sparse detail of the cockpit and wheel well. The shape of the completed FW seems to be surprisingly accurate, though! And you really make things come to life with your painting, Guy! Can't wait to see the finished "canvas".

(It's a shame Peter (airscale) does only natural metal birds—and there are no natural metal and/or civilian Focke Wulfs that I know of—for this kit could've been a worthy victim for his dark arts ;-))

Cheers

Joerg

Ah, that explains the logic then. I’m always a sucker for a NMF but this one is going to be a good old fashioned Luftwaffe camouflage job. It’s the reason I wanted the kit. I haven’t done one for ages and it’s overdue.

Anyway, onwards and upwards...

I’ve pre-shaded the beast in a very pleasant afternoon of airbrushing! I like this bit :) hopefully it will subtly show through and be worth the effort.

3-A33-B2-F6-44-FB-418-B-BF59-B92678-A554

5-B23117-B-936-F-4-F4-B-A55-F-FAAE51-C39

82-B4898-C-B000-44-A0-A933-47-E3-DDEC7-F

Apologies for the lighting but the only place I can get pictures of her is on my large kitchen island.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

Painting. I’ve got the basic colours down now. I’m using MRP paints. I love these. They spray like silk and they have a degree of transparency. Some might call that a failing, but if you’ve pre shaded they allow you to finely control the finish. They just need a few coats, but they touch dry very quickly so it’s all done in one painting session. The only drawback being it takes more paint and, on this hunk of plastic, I used the WHOLE bottle of RLM 76 (light blue) :blink: literally every drop from new. I’ll have to order another one now having only bought one last week.

I started the process with the standard procedure of silver (Alclad aluminium) at the wing root to be followed by hairspray, then chipping but then realised I’m not using acrylics :wacko:. I went for just leaving the root areas bare and using acrylic just for that area, you can just see the slight colour mismatch but looks like weathering! I brushed on AK chipping medium. Although I’m beginning to think that standard hairspray works better (think I may go back to that on future builds. It chipped ok, but not as well as I’d hoped). Everything was sprayed freehand - a little rough but I think that probably matches the aircraft.

As my painting mask set was totally useless, I’ve ordered a new set from Maketar Masks. Alek there was super helpful and they are knocking up a 1/18th version of their Fw190 set ST21. This happens to match one of the versions supplied in the kit, so I’m going for that one as I can use the kit decals for the small staffel/ personal insignia. It’s the Hans Dortenmann Red ‘1’ version. So I’m now waiting on those coming through then many processes of weathering to come - although I’m planning on keeping this subtle.

Stay tuned.

Guy

836-FA5-E4-BF44-4-C00-9893-687-DA48-E83-

4983337-C-ED5-C-4-A37-A9-EF-099-AA65676-

860-D2204-1873-47-A5-BBA7-859-EB70120-AB

417754-FC-3-B1-B-4558-AB2-E-B4-EB0-C4-C5

4-A35-D105-F3-FD-4479-B673-1-AC6327481-B

Excellent work Guy! The paint work you did looks utterly splendid.

FWIW for future builds, MRP technically is an acrylic, just acrylic paint particles suspended in a lacquer medium (not unlike Tamiyas rattle cans).

I 100% agree about how they shoot Nd perform too!

They do work really well with AKIs chipping fluid or hairspray too.

19 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

FWIW for future builds, MRP technically is an acrylic, just acrylic paint particles suspended in a lacquer medium (not unlike Tamiyas rattle cans).

I 100% agree about how they shoot Nd perform too!

They do work really well with AKIs chipping fluid or hairspray too.

Ahh didn’t realise that Brian.. thank you.

16 hours ago, NukerDan said:

Nice job on the mottling!

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Thunnus said:

The paint job came out great, especially the mottles, which can be tricky to get right.  I agree with hairspray working better than the AK chipping products.  That has been my personal experience as well.

Glad to hear confirmation of that and thanks for looking in Thunnus I’ve been looking through your builds and lots of inspiration there! Your Latest 190 is excellent! 

Guy

Thanks Ray... :)

Round two of painting/ weathering. There will be further stages, so some of the following will be toned down somewhat but I’m quite pleased with the base now for future weathering. I’m planning on it being fairly subtle - I don’t want it to look over weathered, but obviously it will be a little dirty. I think getting the balance right is a really hard thing to do. There’s nothing worse than feeling you’ve over egged the pudding. Only time will tell!

I’ve highlighted the panel lines with the standard (thinned & low pressure) dark brown and started the exhaust staining with brown & black in the recesses.

Fairly subjective at this stage as to whether you like it or not I guess, but as I said, I’m happy so far.

I had a minor disaster when I got that feeling that I’d messed up - there was a little overspray on the cockpit coaming (the hood slides on so it’s easy to just pull it back to check). I was worried that some paint had got onto the insides of the front windscreen - It had. So the screen had to come off and was sanded and polished. Phew, no harm done, but I was glad I realised when I did. It’s glued back on now and I don’t think it’s noticeable so fingers crossed.

EC8-E88-B6-F053-4-CE1-AD7-D-8-E4-DC46-EB

BF33487-D-7-BBC-4-DE2-AFFA-DAAA8-E9-DC29

7-AF9-CFA5-D91-B-457-E-A0-BE-D13140-BAC3

A2874-C2-A-83-FA-48-F3-8918-575-C4-EDFC9

A33-F9-CCF-CD67-4-D00-85-A8-B00-A4-B606-

I wasn’t entirely happy with the wing root weathering/ chipping/ wear, so I had another session with it and I reckon that it now looks a lot better than before?

F25-E4935-7753-4-A1-C-A151-E757-CCE46300

Thanks again,

Guy

Thank you :)

I felt some of the highlighting/ shaded lines looked a bit harsh, so while I’m waiting on the masks arriving I’ve tried to tone down the effect and blend it together a little. I over sprayed some areas and worked on others with oils. It may be subtle differences but I think it looks a lot better... hopefully it will tie together even more with a filter, panel lines wash and under a layer of clear.

Its really inspired me to get back to Luftwaffe builds.. I’d be interested if anyone would care to state their opinions of the the very best Luftwaffe kits out there? I’ve been looking at the kit of the Zoukei Mura Ta152-0? Looks great? Although I can’t seem to find any outlet in the UK? Anyone know where these kits can be bought from? Nothing on eBay...

I know the market is awash with 109s etc but I still think we’re lacking a latest Tamiya standard kit.

Thanks again,

Guy

92-D435-F0-8-BA6-4-D19-9-B00-C50875-A676

Edited by Gisbod

Great build and paint work.

I believe that the Dragon 1/32nd 110 is a very good kit that just has terrible instructions. That said I cannot speak from experience.

...or the Airfix 1/24th Stuka which I believe is accurate with lots of rivets!