BIG 1/18 Fw190a-8

Gisbod

Yes, the lack of detail is, I think, fair enough at the price of the kit. If it would have been Tamiya standards then it would be a £180+ kit.

I've made a start on the cockpit. Couple of things look wrong. The instrument panel is in two parts and the gap between the two is way too large. So large in fact that you can’t even see the lower panel once in place. I’ve brought the lower section forward about a cm and looks it good now I reckon. The second obvious error is the rudder pedal placement - the pilots legs would need to be 6’ long to reach them, so I’ve brought those forward too. The Joystick is very primitive but I’ve jazzed it up a bit with generic detail.

This is the kit as intended:

7-C462-A35-9-A47-44-B4-8-A12-8-C99-C0979

The panel brought forward - just placed in the photo..

18-B75-BCE-B884-4570-AC38-8-EB9-C33-A770

AA876268-FB17-48-AC-8023-9-D88-C61-D5-F5

D346-B805-AA82-410-E-8-E60-4-C709-BD0-B9

BF875-BC9-C560-424-E-A072-F1824-FBB3-AAA

The kit seat is overly thick, so I’ve thinned the edges to give the impression it’s less portly.

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

Beavering away on the cockpit. As I mentioned before, the seat isn’t perfect, too thick and the cushion looks like it’s off a sofa, but without starting again from scratch, I couldn’t see too much I could do with it (other than thinning away the edges). So I’ve gone ahead and painted it hoping I can disguise its failings to some extent. I’m holding off on belts as I’m hoping to get some upscaled harnesses from HGW, but I don’t know if this is going to be possible yet. I have got some buckles though from a Tamiya 1/20th car set which could potentially look the part. If I fail getting the harnesses then I’ll just have to make them up - hopefully from a scale fabric? Any pointers on what to use there would be most welcome! 

1-AFCAAD7-815-E-4-DC4-B60-F-D0-E3-A426-B

B54-A771-E-329-B-4-CAC-AAEF-AD2-E37-D86-

Cheers!

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

Oh and there is fabric material the car guys use as belts on Ebay.

With your talent you could scratch some in lead foil or I have even used tea bag materiel to simulate belts.

Ryan

Thanks chaps :P

Cockpit update:

Spruced up as best I can, Luftwaffe cockpit decals from airscale to add some bling. The 1/24th instrument dials in PE seem to fit perfectly, the only one that didn’t was the Artificial Horizon and I used the kit decal for that. The dials subsequently had a blob of epoxy for the glass faces. Various, levers and knobs added from bits and bobs - brass rod/ random PE/ plastic card. The Gunsight to be added later. The kit one would be basic in 1/72nd scale... :blush:

Looks good enough for my low standards! :)

231-F0-BEA-B63-E-4-BFC-A546-6-EC20401668

In this one you can just see where the rudder pedals are meant to be (far left lower corner of photo), must have been flown by a circus performer on stilts! These little things bug me as it would make no difference to the designer or manufacturer where they go, so why not do it right in the first place?

6-CF8-CA1-C-B147-4-B8-A-AE53-E0-EB06-A83

429-E54-A1-C7-FA-49-FE-9-A3-A-2157-B5686

62-F0-B464-88-DF-43-AD-B985-51-F8-FC0-C1

4145-CB09-234-A-4765-9-B22-80-C45-FFA36-

9-FD38877-3-A26-4182-AE68-33-B35-A6-DC93

Please excuse the macro photography lurgies.. it looks fine in the flesh... honest!

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

bloody hell you did a good job on that!

I saw the panel in the earlier pictures and thought it was beyond redemption, but you have totally transformed it!

The older Luftwaffe instrument set we made had some bigger versions of some of the dials in it, I had no idea they work for 1/18 - given I have just retired them as we have just relaunched a remastered set, I might well repackage them as 1/18!

astounding job and super happy you used our stuff so brilliantly :)

Peter