Sign in to follow this  
kkarlsen

Mojo gone missin...

Been there many times Kent, it's no big deal.

I go through cycles of even what to build...for example I was into armor for a solid two years...didn't even care about an airplane, but now the poles have reversed....

Iv'e said it before that the talent level is very high and it's almost a job to keep up, learn that new technique, buy that next book, and so on.

Over the years I've come to realize my techniques are my own, my models look I built them and I'm fine with that.

Sorry for this diversion but I think its all related.

Part of the problem also in this scale is the complexity of the kits, each step is almost a finished model. You can eat an elephant but only one piece at a time, I try not to be overwhelmed with the entire project at once, but it is difficult.

Ryan

Right there with you, my friend! I did more modeling and 3D printing stuff in January than the rest of the winter, and I burned myself out! I've been having a hard time finding the patience to work on things for more than an hour or so, if at all. I've been playing a few video games and other things this past week until it returns.

I totally empathize with the loss of modeling mojo. Last year, I took a six month break from all modeling activities.  I didn't plan it that way but I just lost the desire to do any modeling.  I spent most of my free time with my other hobbies, mostly fishing and since fishing was good, one weekend led to another and another. I kept tabs on modeling message boards during that time and eventually, the desire returned and I jumped back onto my unfinished projects (including the Trumpy 262 that I'm trying to wrap up now.).  If there is anything that I would add, it would be:  clear your plate of any unfinished project that you are not excited to work on.  Replace it with a brand new project.

I do what I like when I like to do it . No problems ^_^. There is however something to the idea of switching to something simpler. You can still use all your skills but with less pressure from large parts numbers and details. 

I often have same situation kent.

But always have connection with this site and looking at great builds.

I think not to build models some time is normal.

I am tired, busy and so on.

Cheers

Well I packed up my bench early in December, I don’t have a dedicated build space, I use a worktop in the kitchen, living alone I can leave it as a build area most of the time but occasionally need the space for other things. Haven’t felt like putting it back and building anything since. Well I was in New York City the other week and passing the Lego store I went in. Predictably I walked out with a set. A giant Star Wars set. Have been putting it together bit by bit the last few days and finished it today. Well that got the juices flowing and lo and behold I’ve decided that not only am I going to start a new build but it’s going to be the Corsair I was intent on selling until earlier today. Also, looking at it you’ve had a few really involved builds going on with many parts and lots of detail work to be completed, I think a little burn out after just one of those projects would be expected but you’ve gone from one to the next pretty quickly. 

Not only your work but your output is incredible Kent with no simple builds and all heavy mod stuff as well. Leave it for a while or just build something different strictly OOB and hopefully  the juices will flow again pretty soon!

Regards.Andy 

Someone  already mentioned cleaning the bench... so build something simple.

I took a break from my latest and more complex P-51 conversion build by building the new Special Hobby V-1 OOB.   No cockpit or clear parts to fret about.  This also meant grabbing the new airbrush and getting cozy with Luftwaffe mottling and other small dot-like paint things.  Already stripped off the paint once.  No big deal. It's a paint mule until I like it.  The second try will be a keeper.   It has been a fun change of pace.  Nice kit IMHO.

Rick

I seem to have an "issue" with staying focused on a particular project, so I just go with whatever seems desirable at the time. For the last few nights, I've been doing a lot of work to my Academy 1:25 Jagdpanther, which I hope to take to a show here in September.

19 hours ago, kkarlsen said:

Hi Guy's, sorry that I haven't been posting anything for a while now. 
I'm trying to recover from a severe case of lost Mojo...

bXd4lpf.jpg

I have so much I want to work on, but no drive to get on with it...

What do you Guy's do to get the 'spark' back? Any recommendations?

Cheers: Kent

Ha, my Bulldog, Penny, would do the exact same thing when I took her for a walk that went past the property line. How the hell does a dog understand the concept of property lines, I'll never know. But she did.

It ebbs and flows just like anything.  For me it left about the time I was a junior in high school, and dating and friends were more important than anything. It didn't return till about 2007.  For some it doesn't return at all. 

Give it time, and as was suggested clean your space and "reset" it.  Also as was eluded to, the desire will return when it returns. For me, it was doing something I had not done prior like a Sci-Fi kit.

My most recent "distraction", the Academy 1:25 Jagdpanther. Quite a bit different than working on aircraft models all the time. I tend to think that any break (no matter how long or short), from doing aircraft all the time, is good for me.

hYgqgs.jpg

I'll second what Ade Rolands posted - some of the new LEGO sets are pretty rewarding and can really get the creative juices flowing. I recently picked up a copy of their Saturn V and spent a very enjoyable week of evenings putting it together. Everything fits. No resin. No putty. No paint. No decals. And at the end of the week I had a very impressive 'model' for my office. And yes, it did act as a 'control/alt/delete' reboot for my modeling mojo.  :yahoo: 

The bottom line is do what's fun for you, and when what you're doing stops being fun, it's time to try something else. No shame. No harm. No foul.  :thumbsup:

Cheers!

John.

erjt0tT.jpg

JwVoSBL.jpg

ITSTkTP.jpg

GaWf8zF.jpg