WNW Albatros DVa OAW, Hans Von Gössel's flying skull!

karimb

On 2/24/2019 at 1:04 AM, aircare84 said:

Great progress Karim.

Will be another masterpiece when you're finished.

Same scheme as my first Albatros.

Larry

Thanks Larry!

i have always had a soft spot for this specific scheme...

Hey gang...

trying to catch up with posting the progress here...out of Tokyo!

Since this posted update i had closed up the fuselage and added the last finishing touches to the interior of the albatros. I completely linked up Bo's 3D printed fuel tank and weathered it with oils and pigments. I broke the top cap on the left while getting it removed from the printed 'stub' and had to come up with a replacement, which is not as fine or refined as the 3d printed part but will do the job. My replacement part is a bit on the chunky side and is missing the screw heads on the circumference. I added the spark advance linkage by using stretched sprue and once installed it does look like it's linked to the lever with the fuselage halves closed. i used thin ca as a filler and primed the whole fuselage with MRP white lacquer. This later got polished with successive micromesh pads and it now looks like a whitewash winter vehicle which i find super cool to be honest. I painted the engine bearers and covered those in Uschi ronnie bar rich decals. The ribbing were painted and the first and last rib got a go with the MRP needle point scriber to represent the nails holding the plywood layers together. They wont really be seen much so i preferred this way rather than going the HGW freenail decal option. After the photos below, i have removed the louvers and covers which will be replaced with much thinner pe louvers and hatches courtesy of the HGW pe set. The fuselage since has gotten its basecoat of paint and clear and is awaiting the start of application of woodgraining.... this will be our next update when i get around to it since i am going to squeeze 36 hours flying back home to see my daughter right after i am back from Tokyo. Updates will slow down for the next ten days so bear with me. Ill try to get some work done which is easier with the woodgraining by having the possibility of leaving the kit to dry between flights!

stay safe and happy modeling!

Karim

PS: ah yes, i also thinned the front area of the fuselage to make it look much thinner as per the original. I am hoping the difference will show once the spinner and prop are in place!

IMG_3901-X2.jpg

IMG_3894-X2.jpg

IMG_3889-X2.jpg

IMG_3883-X2.jpg

IMG_3875-X2.jpg

IMG_3863-X2.jpg

IMG_3870-X2.jpg

IMG_3886-X2.jpg

This is how the master does it. What an amazing build. The most impressive part about it is the progress in spite of a very busy schedule of work and life. You show us how it is done. Best of luck with everything.

Tnarg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 4:12 PM, Ryan said:

Looking great Karim, I'm right behind you.

Ryan

Hey Ryan!

Thanks buddy for the comment. How are things going on your albatros build? no updates since the 20th? im so looking forward to your progress on that one !

On 2/26/2019 at 7:28 PM, Tnarg said:

This is how the master does it. What an amazing build. The most impressive part about it is the progress in spite of a very busy schedule of work and life. You show us how it is done. Best of luck with everything.

Tnarg

Tnarg,

thanks for the kindness and the comment. Yes the schedule has really been super busy lately but i am trying to put in a couple of hours every now and then when i am back between flight. the nice thing about the albatros and wingnut wings's kits in general is that you can build the subject in subassemblies, so i build something, get it painted and do some initial weathering, then when i have the time and possibility i get the subassemblies together and do some blending weathering to get everything to look the same...

I am glad you are enjoying the build!