WNW Albatros DVa OAW, Hans Von Gössel's flying skull!

karimb

On 7/3/2019 at 10:30 PM, monthebiff said:

Good to see you back on this one Karim.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy for stopping by and leaving a word. I am happy to be back!

On 7/3/2019 at 11:50 PM, TorbenD said:

Exquisite! Good to here you’re recovering well.

Torben

Torben thanks for the kind comments and for stopping by!

Close to 2500 posts...

How time runs when i think it feels like i joined LSP yesterday and then i realize it's been years. Exquisite builds on show and helpful members have always pushed me into trying harder to go a step and above in my own builds and i thank everyone for that...

Our tenth chapter of your regular programming. We are at the end stages of the build of the wonderful Wingnut Wing Albatros. In this update we cover the top wings with the Aviattic Lozenge decals and they behaved exactly as expected. I have then weathered the decals with a home made concoction of sand colored oils and darker brown oils to form a filter. Chipping was done with Prismacolor pencils on the Balkenkreuz and Ammo Mig products were used to weather areas like the aileron attachment points and the area around Bo Monro's 3D printed radiator. I used gaspatch turnbuckles on the aileron linkages and Bob's buckles for the rest of the rigging attachment points. The Radiator got additional attachment straps made of lead sheet and i used Meng styrene bolts for the attachment details. 

That pretty much puts us at a point where we will install the top wing and rig the Albatros and finish by adding up the remaining little details and some touch ups here and there!

Next update should be very soon and probably the ready for inspection will be put up at that point!

Karim

IMG_4336-X2.jpg

IMG_4337-X2.jpg

IMG_4338-X2.jpg

IMG_4339-X2.jpg

IMG_4340-X2.jpg

IMG_4343-X2.jpg

IMG_4346-X2.jpg

IMG_4350-X2.jpg

Edited by karimb

On 7/10/2019 at 9:51 AM, Gazzas said:

Karim,

As usual your weathering looks fantastic.  And the printed radiator makes for some nice detail.  You weather like no other!

Gaz

Gaz thank you for your kind words i am really happy you like how she is turning out. The radiator is really something to see once it is installed and everything is in place it is really something! you can actually see all the piping and what is underneath at certain angles...

On 7/10/2019 at 12:39 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Well done Karim.  Wow. This is amazing to see come to light.     Thanks for sharing this with us.  

Troy 

Troy, my pleasure!

i am glad to read you are enjoying the work in progress!

Hello gang...

For this update there will unfortunately be no photos as there is nothing really worth photographing in terms of step by step or work in progress type photos. The Albatros is finally finished and sitting in the middle of the shelf, reigning over every other single model i have built in the past ten years. The wings lined up exactly on the strut locations which is typical Wingnut wings, and the rigging went smoothly and was very enjoyable. I added the scratchbuilt flare rack on the left side and finished off by adding the photoetch latches to the lower wing panels. I also painted the bottom of the tail skid iron and finally installed the various subassemblies like the wheels, the home carved prop and other little parts. Touchups were made to the parts that either lost their luster or where paint had flaked off due to handling during the building phase.

I am in the process of preparing the text for the RFI section and posting her there...

The stars were really lined up for this one, so to say!

Thank you to everyone who has checked in during the build and encouraged me and pushed me to go beyond my skill limit! You have all a part in the end result !

Karim

• 2 years later...

For anyone who might stumble across this build in their travels, we now have this available:

hjDD0u.jpg

186-page eBook, artwork by Ronny Bar, historical notes by Greg VanWyngarden, Mercedes D.III walkaround by James Fahey, 15 Australian dollars. Bargain!

https://www.klp.com.au/product/building-the-wingnut-wings-albatros-d-va-in-1-32-scale/

Kev