WNW Albatros DVa OAW, Hans Von Gössel's flying skull!

karimb

First off, sorry about your shoulder, Karim! Will keep my fingers crossed surgery goes great, and therapy makes great strides. Just don't get discouraged and keep at it. I had a stroke mid December, and persistent therapy has me walking without assistance and have most my movement back in my left arm and strength coming back. So therapy works!

Anyway, back to the model! It looks awesome! That prop looks great; I can't believe that is your first attempt! I must try it sometime. I have a notebook filled with veneer samples I picked up somewhere so have my material. The paneling and weathering are super realistic and the extra detailing really adds to the landing gear, and to the rest of the model!

Will be impatiently waiting for your update in about a month!

4 hours ago, karimb said:

Larry sorry about the delay. I took a photo of the sheets for you but still even after rummaging through the bench trash bin trying to find the paper label of the set i couldn't. What i would suggest is you send an email to Alex Glass the owner of Uschi along with the photo attached and i am sure he will help you out. Another option, although more time consuming would be to wait for me to get back to Doha and have a look through the 50+ sets i have from Uschi until i find the same one. I am pretty sure its one of the knotless version. Photo attached below!

I hope that helps

Karim

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-29%20at%2010.37.

Karim,

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, hope you recovery goes well.

The last updates look amazing!

Thanks for taking the time to check on that.

I will email Alex, as they do not have 'The Barnfind'  wood decals available on their site.

Looks a bit different than the 'Knotless' ones I have.

Larry

Edited by aircare84

Just fabulous work, Karim! The Albatros looks amazing, even in its unfinished state.

I (literally) feel for you about your shoulder issues, too. I've been battling chronic bursitis and adhesive capsulitis in my right shoulder for nearly 3 years now, caused by spending up to 16 hours per day at a computer (and some poor workout form in my 20s hasn't helped, either). Eventually I had to switch to using the mouse with my left hand, and now I'm developing similar issues with my left shoulder. I did about 7 months of intensive physiotherapy to relieve most of the adhesive capsulitis, but it's still a problem, and is the cause of my ongoing painful impingement issues. I've just now bought an Apple trackpad to use instead of the mouse, which I can place right in front of me in a much more suitable position, and it's proving to be tremendously helpful in minimising the negative effects on my shoulder versus using a mouse. I wish you well in your recovery, mate!

Kev

On 3/31/2019 at 9:06 PM, karimb said:

Sir you are a gentleman. Thank you for taking the time to take the photos, the measurements, and post them here. This is what makes this site so great!

I will be posting a photo of the parts as soon as i get a chance to have them at hand probably on Wednesday!

Thanks for stopping by!

My pleasure entirely. I look forward to see what you come up with? A new resin part to anchor the ball turnbuckles perhaps? I had wondered about asking Gaspatch if they would do one since they have started doing the turnbuckles in resin.

I also look forward to the changes you might make to the wing root. WNW are by far the best in my opinion now, but the kit Albatros's lower wing attachment has clearly been simplified for ease of assembly. Very interesting to compare the arrangement on a D.II or D.III with a D.V.

The other very obvious simplification WNW have made I notice is to butt the aluminium cowls against the wooden fuselage edges. That is not correct, the cowl - obviously - is very thin and overlaps the much thicker wooden fuselage, and so sits over it, giving the effect of an edge ontop of the wood, quite different from the kit. In fact if you look at period photos the WNW cowl has been made smaller than the original. -In contemporary pics the edges descend  deeper around the cabane attachments, etc etc. - It is a detail that seems important to me because it is then possible to lift and give a battered look to the edge of the cowl making the difference in material obvious.

Edited by 19squadron

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2019 at 1:29 AM, wmoran said:

Incredible looking Albatros Karim.  

I hope your surgery and recovery go smoothly.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the kind words!

On 4/1/2019 at 3:27 AM, LSP_Ray said:

First off, sorry about your shoulder, Karim! Will keep my fingers crossed surgery goes great, and therapy makes great strides. Just don't get discouraged and keep at it. I had a stroke mid December, and persistent therapy has me walking without assistance and have most my movement back in my left arm and strength coming back. So therapy works!

Anyway, back to the model! It looks awesome! That prop looks great; I can't believe that is your first attempt! I must try it sometime. I have a notebook filled with veneer samples I picked up somewhere so have my material. The paneling and weathering are super realistic and the extra detailing really adds to the landing gear, and to the rest of the model!

Will be impatiently waiting for your update in about a month!

Hey Ray,

Thanks for the kind words. Therapy has been quite difficult but it has helped improve my shoulder to the point where i have resumed normal range of movement now but with lingering pain at the edge of the movement range. I got tired from a month constant therapy so the lady gave me the green light for a week off while i did my own exercises but for some reason i think i have used the shoulder a bit harsher than i should have and i started getting pain again this last week. I think it has to do with me spending long stretches at the bench. ill explain in tonight's post. 

Regarding carving your own prop i would say go for it. I was actually surprised at how smooth the whole process went, you just need patience and taking it bit by bit. I hope i don't go back on that statement when the time comes for me to carve my next one :lol:

On 4/1/2019 at 3:44 AM, aircare84 said:

Karim,

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, hope you recovery goes well.

The last updates look amazing!

Thanks for taking the time to check on that.

I will email Alex, as they do not have 'The Barnfind'  wood decals available on their site.

Looks a bit different than the 'Knotless' ones I have.

Larry

Larry thanks for the update. Did you hear back from Alex as now i am curious too to know what the product number is for the sheets

On 4/1/2019 at 4:24 AM, Out2gtcha said:

As others have said, very sorry to hear about your shoulder my friend. The Albi is looking spectacular. Sorry also about being grounded.....surgery is never fun either.

Brian, thanks for the sentiment. Things are going okay. And thanks for the comment on the albi!