WNW Albatros DVa OAW, Hans Von Gössel's flying skull!

karimb

Hello everyone!

i would like to apologize for not having had the time to be here as often as i would have liked... i have been extremely busy of late in my professional and personal life and the time at the bench has taken second place... I am modeling on the side but it has taken a sort of a downturn the last couple of months with more and more flying and less and less time spent at the bench during shorter stays at the apartment. Between the post of the Aviattic Marienfelde, and this post i had started work on a Zukei Mura TA152 H-0 which turned into a nightmare with me having to rebuild the whole profile of the wings, a ton of scratchbuilding and modifications and eventually when the steam ran out and the kit was almost completely assembled and relegated to the 'to be finished someday' section of the cabinet, i did what everyone under stress does. I went back to my little bubble, my comfort zone. I went back to the bench with an urge to build wood and fabric flying stringbags. Great War aircraft. To me the beautiful flying machines of that era give me the opportunity to go wild replicating wood, canvas and letting my artistic side run wild while trying to be accurate and push the envelope at the same time.

I fell back on the albatros, of which i have 14 iterations of the kit in my stash (my all time favorite aircraft of ww1, with so many beautiful schemes i don't think having 3 dozen of those in the stash would be enough!) onto which i will be throwing a bit of aftermarket, and eventually as need arises, will dip into the aftermarket storage box for ww1 i keep on the side.

I am planning on finishing the kit as Hans Von Gössel's beautiful wooden albatros with the skull on the sides and the top wing, i will be also throwing in Bo Monroe's 3D printed radiator, fuel tank and gun synchro mount, HGW's textile harnesses, Uschi's woodgrain decals, Richard's Aviattic fabric lozenges for the wings and the rudder, HGW etch (Maybe!), Master brass LMG jackets, and scratchbuilding as the inspiration hits...

This project will be slow as i am dealing with other major developments in 2019 (ALM Studios amongst others) but i am hoping updates will be regular and we all have a good time on this build thread.

As always your comments and participation are always something i look forward to.

At the time of writing this i have already finished woodgraining half a fuselage and am starting working on the little bits here and there so more photos soon of the measly progress i have achieved...

Thanks for looking in!

Karim

IMG_3802-X2.jpg

IMG_3804-X2.jpg

IMG_3806-X2.jpg

IMG_3810-X2.jpg

IMG_3813-X2.jpg

5 minutes ago, karimb said:

...of which i have 14 iterations of the kit in my stash...

Really looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this one Karim! I thought I was crazy having 13 in my stash lol.  Excellent choice for markings, I too would like build this one but the sharp demarcation on the spinner scares me. I am excited to see how you tackle this one.

Edited by Jolly Roger

I thought I had been sick lately, but upon seeing this post I realized I had just been suffering from withdrawal symptoms from not seeing enough of your work on the site lately.  I feel much better now, particularly as it is WNW Albatros you will be working on.  :clap2:

Bill

22 hours ago, Jolly Roger said:

Really looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this one Karim! I thought I was crazy having 13 in my stash lol.  Excellent choice for markings, I too would like build this one but the sharp demarcation on the spinner scares me. I am excited to see how you tackle this one.

Hey my friend its good to have you drop in on the build...

no no you havent lost your mind with 13 in the stash... i was just looking at a photo of a row of Jasta 5 albatroses lined up, DVs and DIIIs and it made me wonder if i had enough stuff in the stash let alone all the wooden versions from different Jastas!

The spinner is nothing to be worried about regarding the sharp demarcation line in red. Easiest is to sit a circular template rule of the correct diameter on the spinner and airbrush away... we'll see how this goes when we get to it, i might go the regular masking tape route

15 hours ago, Fvdm said:

A plane from the great war is always nice  and this is a real nice colorscheme. Have fun building this beauty. 

Thanks FVDM... yup the aircraft of the great war are always very interesting! hope to have you along for the build!

13 hours ago, wmoran said:

I thought I had been sick lately, but upon seeing this post I realized I had just been suffering from withdrawal symptoms from not seeing enough of your work on the site lately.  I feel much better now, particularly as it is WNW Albatros you will be working on.  :clap2:

Bill

Bill, you are very kind... 

I am glad to have you along and i hope tonight's update will be to your liking ;)

I really miss being amongst you guys here actively taking part in the conversations and discussions, its just i get back from flights and i and i am so tired from the flights i barely drag myself to the bench...