20th Aussieversary Hornet

seiran01

With the f15 on hold for a few more weeks pending release of new resin intakes, I’m pulling out the Hornet to build alongside my mosquito. 

Academy -C kit, with Sierra Hotel intakes, Leading Edge decals & ASRAAMs, possibly an eduard PE set for the cockpit also. 

I did a paint and decal test on the elevators back in November and the gear wells are painted white already, but otherwise it’s unstarted.

if you haven’t seen the Sierra Hotel intakes, they or the D-Mold intakes are a must if you want accuracy and a good looking intake. The diameter of the academy intake ducts at the front is much too small, about 2/3 the size it should be, and both these resin sets intakes correct what would be a very pinched look in the ducts.

mQNNyBr.jpg

Givverrrrr! yawhoo another F/A 18 colorbird in the group!

I missed out on the resin intakes on my build, I tried Sierra Hotel a couple of times but I  didn't get any response, then tried Rhino models, no joy, then Dmold, who's webstore was closed but contact by email got a couple of sets inbound. Too late for this Hornet but, there's a few more in my stash that will benefit from the purchase. 

Good to see you've started on it! 

Lazy 3-day weekend with not too much to show for it, but I did glue the wings together and onto the upper fuselage today. Also dunked the intakes in the airframe gray I'm using to get a sharp demarcation on the inside. External cleanup still to come before attaching to the fuselage but the engine fans have been glued in place and the dry-fit result looks great to me. 

1ShWdgGh.jpg?1

SUPcka2h.jpg

Thanks guys,

Anthony, they were dipped in a jar of paint to a depth I set with a masking tape strip on the outside. Folks here who do this often use latex house paint to hide intake seams, one guy I know used Vallejo primers and enjoyed the outcome. No need for that with the seamless resin so I used the mix of lacquers I had already put together for the airframe grey... let me say the latex/Vallejo options would likely have been easier!

6 hours ago, seiran01 said:

I’m seeing phantom question marks in the morning before I have coffee, LOL I thought Anthony was asking how I did them. Time to go chug my go juice. :coolio:

LOL.....thanks for explaining it again for me anyway.  Now, drink up and report back when you are a bit sharper :P

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates on this one! The rear fuselage has now been closed up with the resin intakes firmly in place. As evidenced by the multiple clamps, this whole assembly has been fighting me every step of the way.

This is the third Academy f-18 I've build, and I've never had issues with the top, bottom, and sides lining up like I have with this one. All three have used the same set of intakes so I have to imagine that anything with those is ruled out. Oh well, just a speed bump... onwards!

I'm considering repainting blue areas with blue angel blue, the MRP oxford blue seems too dark when I look more closely at photos. Anyone have thoughts on the current blue being too dark or about right?

PsdQKKTh.jpg

8lCPMtvh.jpg

The Avionix resin -A/B tails are gorgeous! Just a bit of prep work still needed before shooting a proper coat of primer on them. One tail has been sprayed with leftover airframe gray to see how the details would show up.

LrBoDs5h.jpg?2

I remember following ClumsyDude when he did his. He used Gunze Oxford Blue. It looks pretty close and brighter than yours does. I kinda agree, it's a little dark although that could be because it's not glossed up yet too so take that opinion with a grain of salt. Here's the link to ClumsyDudes build for reference...