TH-55 Osage Inbound

John1

How cool is that!  In 1:32 scale!   So bold and refreshing to see a new Helo in our scale.  

I just missed out flying the Osage in flight school in the late 80’s.  They went straight to the UH-1H as trainers when they phased out the TH- 55.   I loved pulling pitch in the iconic Huey from day 1 on the flight line in Ft. Rucker, AL.    

Bring it on.  

Troy

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

How cool is that!  In 1:32 scale!   So bold and refreshing to see a new Helo in our scale.  

I just missed out flying the Osage in flight school in the late 80’s.  They went straight to the UH-1H as trainers when they phased out the TH- 55.   I loved pulling pitch in the iconic Huey from day 1 on the flight line in Ft. Rucker, AL.    

Bring it on.  

Troy

I like the history of this helo, how many tens of thousands US Army Warrant Officers got their wings on this helo, prior to shipping out to Vietnam?

Of course it begets the question - we'll get something as semi-obscure as this but no one sees fit to release a UH-1D/H in 35th?   Crazy......

39 minutes ago, John1 said:

I like the history of this helo, how many tens of thousands US Army Warrant Officers got their wings on this helo, prior to shipping out to Vietnam?

Over 40,000 Vietnam-era pilots got their wings at Fort Wolters, near me here in Texas.  Many in this bird (along with the OH-23).

I am super excited about this kit!  Any idea on a release date?  Can’t say I’m familiar with AMP - how is their reputation?

-Derek 

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2019 at 8:18 PM, Juggernut said:

Ooooo... I just might be able to turn that guy into a 269C or C-1 with some work.  I can definitely turn it into a 269B without modifying much.  This ought to be a good kit.

Could this be my real brag? I have 1900 hours on the 269C and 269C1 types, as a pilot and pilot instructor (Civilian). Great littlle helicopters and most decidedly under-represented. just like the Mi-2 and Mi-8, of which i'd love to fly both...

The MikroMir  1/32nd Fokker D.VIII is a decent little kit, if not a bit "short run-ish" with some details being not as crisp as one would like, but overall not a bad looking kit in the box. I cant speak to how it builds, but Im hoping their TH-55 is a bit more crisp and fine.   However,  having an interest in helos like this, depending on what the reviews look like Im definitely planning on picking one of these little jewels up! 

20181124_220804_800.jpg&key=9a32bb008843

You're close but that's a 269C or C-1.  The ventral fin shape is a dead giveaway.:P

I used to work for Schweizer (aka Sikorsky Global Helicopters) and was on the  269D series helicopter production line.  The 269C's and C-1's were built right across the isle.  I also used to work as a tech-rep for SGH until they closed the plant in Horseheads, NY and moved it all to Coatesville, PA.  They still can't build the 269D's even though they've got standing orders for them...there's too much "tribal knowledge" that was involved in building the damned thing. 

I've even helped do an annual inspection on one of the earlier 269C's...it needed a lot of help but we got her back to the owner on time... He wasn't happy with the bill but that's what neglect and shoddy maintenance will get you.  We prototyped the airframe for the X-2 technology demonstrator and my DNA is in that too...sitting in the Udvar-Hazey NASM facility.

Those that have old 269 series helicopters are in for a shock (if they haven't had it already).  Sikorsky destroyed all the tooling used to make all the parts for those old TH-55's, 269A's, and B's.  What really sucks is that when those rotor blades (tail and main) time out, there's no new replacements available.  You'll either have to get used but serviceable blades or your 269 helicopter becomes an expensive  boat-anchor.  I haven't yet heard of anyone producing replacement blades for these egg-beaters.  I even think Sikorsky lowered the life-limit on the main rotor drive shaft....those may still be available for the old 269's but they're not interchangeable  with the 269C's and C-1's...

Edited by Juggernut
Added content