1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Red 1"

Thunnus

10 hours ago, viper-dc said:

Very nice..

Thank you very much!

9 hours ago, AceofClubs said:

I love 109 but i love 109Dora too!, Grat work.

Can you tell please the setting of your camera (ISO, focal dept diafram aperture)? Many thanks

Ciao

Filippo 

Thank you, Filippo!  The in-progress shots are taken with a Canon S100 point-n-shoot camera and I'm not sure of the settings.  I usually shoot in Aperture Priority mode with the biggest aperture possible due to the limited light available on my desk top.

For the finished shots, I'm using a DSLR.  I shoot outside on a wooden bench in my courtyard and use only the ambient indirect sunlight to illuminate my model. So the settings will vary according to the time of day and weather conditions.  When I'm outside, I usually have plenty of light so I like to stop down the aperture so that I get as much of the model in focus as possible.  Looking at the EXIF data, many of my Red 1 pics were at ISO 800 and f/16, shooting in Aperture Priority mode.  All shots are handheld and no flash was used.

12 hours ago, ringleheim said:

This is stunning!  Gorgeous!  

How did the Aires cockpit detail kit workout?  Any fit issues you had to deal with?  

Any tips for doing those HGW fabric seatbelts? 

Thank you very much!  I've built three 1/32 D-9 kits and have used three different cockpit upgrades: MDC, Eagle Editions and Aires.  Of the three, I feel like the Eagle cockpit is the best representation but it also requires the most work.  Since this build was planned to be a closed canopy aircraft from the beginning, I chose the Aires cockpit as it looked to be a fairly simple addition.

Adding the cockpit tub to the fuselage was indeed very simple.  Only minor removals from the interior fuselage walls were required.  No thinning of the kit parts or resin parts was necessary.  I didn't even have to remove the wide pour stub on the bottom of the cockpit tub.  The only funky thing was the instrument panel.  It had some weird angles to it and sat very low.

IMG_3018.jpg

The kit instrument panel seemed to be a better fit.

IMG_3022.jpg

So I decided to use the kit panel as the backing for the photoetched  instrument faces.

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

The kit instrument panel was attached to the Aires cockpit tub using bits of Milliput.

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

I have a hard time getting photoetched seat belts to sit right so I prefer fabric belts like those offered by RB Productions and HGW.  I chose the HGW belts for this one.  A tip to save some money... if you are doing a Luftwaffe fighter, buy the HGW set for the Me 262B two seater.  Two sets of belts for about the same price as one!  Assembly is fairly straightforward although you have to account for the fact that the components are very small so there is some patience and delicate handling required.  Good tweezers are a must!  I follow the HGW instructions by crumpling the belts before assembly.  But be gentle with the crumpling as extreme handling can make the coloring of the belts flake off.

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Looks great John. 

I prefer fabric belts too. The only way I've ever had with PE belts is to anneal them first.

The only time I tried annealing resulted in a destroyed belt.  I think it was a pre-painted belt... maybe your not supposed to put fire to the painted ones?

5 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

What an absolutely beautiful build! Just amazing John! I love the finish and the subtle chipping and weathering! 

Cheers

Alan

Thank you Alan!  My third Hasegawa D-9 build!  I obviously like this plane/kit!

3 hours ago, Thunnus said:

The only time I tried annealing resulted in a destroyed belt.  I think it was a pre-painted belt... maybe your not supposed to put fire to the painted ones?

Probably not, but I have anyway, you just cant use a "torch" on them as I found a cigarette lighter works good. But yes, destroys the colored parts if there are any.

That's a great build, phantastic! JV44 is my favorite FW190 unit...maybe because the place I work at is at the nothern end of the former München Riem Airfield...now a big mall!

One comment though...I believe the prop blades were covered in glue and fabric before being painted. I have seen originals that clearly show wrinkles due to wood shrinkage over the last 7 decades...

cheers

Uwe

14 minutes ago, anj4de said:

That's a great build, phantastic! JV44 is my favorite FW190 unit...maybe because the place I work at is at the nothern end of the former München Riem Airfield...now a big mall!

One comment though...I believe the prop blades were covered in glue and fabric before being painted. I have seen originals that clearly show wrinkles due to wood shrinkage over the last 7 decades...

cheers

Uwe

Thank you Uwe!  Thanks for the historical reminder that this was an actual aircraft that operated from the area you now work!  The wood treatment on the prop blades was just a practice exercise that ultimately got covered up in the end.  As you can see from the finished prop, the chipping is very light and you cannot make out any wood grain at all.