1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Red 1"

Thunnus

Thanks for great comments guys!  I appreciate it!

11 hours ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

Hi John

How did you get paint chipping on the wing root and sliding canopy area?

Salty process or something else ?

Hi Tolga,

I used the hairspray method for the chipping on the wing roots and on the rear of the canopy.  Tamiya AS-12 Silver is the metal finish.  Hairspray on top of that.  After the camo color is applied (Mr Hobby Aqueous),  rub the area with a wet paint brush with stiff bristles to make the chipping appear.  I've had better results with real hairspray vs dedicated modeling products such as MIG Scratches Effect or Heavy Chipping fluids.

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg

2 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks for great comments guys!  I appreciate it!

Hi Tolga,

I used the hairspray method for the chipping on the wing roots and on the rear of the canopy.  Tamiya AS-12 Silver is the metal finish.  Hairspray on top of that.  After the camo color is applied (Mr Hobby Aqueous),  rub the area with a wet paint brush with stiff bristles to make the chipping appear.  I've had better results with real hairspray vs dedicated modeling products such as MIG Scratches Effect or Heavy Chipping fluids.

The hair spray method even works with enamels to some extent. You just have to scrub a little more and use a mild detergent like window cleaner. 

BTW, this build is simply fantastic!! 

Edited by BiggTim

30 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

The hair spray method even works with enamels to some extent. You just have to scrub a little more and use a mild detergent like window cleaner. 

BTW, this build is simply fantastic!! 

Good to know!  I've had some variability in the results based on how many coats of acrylic paint are applied over the hairspray.  I've been successful with a light pre-shade layer plus one camo coat but have had difficulties with two full coats above the hairspray.  In those cases, maybe an ammonia-based cleaner like Windex might help?

16 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

I would give that model a 9.75/10 at a model contest, only because no model is perfect and I haven't found the 0.25 deduction yet!  Your painting equals your photography, which are both fantastic.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks so much Chuck!  That's too kind.  I see lots of flaws as many of us are probably our own worst critics.  For my in-progress shots, I use a little point-n-shoot but for the finished pics, I bust out my big DSLR.  Based on what I see here (more specifically, your excellent in-progress photography), I purchased a portable light box to boost my in-progress photography up a level.  Hopefully that results in better in-progress shots.

54 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Good to know!  I've had some variability in the results based on how many coats of acrylic paint are applied over the hairspray.  I've been successful with a light pre-shade layer plus one camo coat but have had difficulties with two full coats above the hairspray.  In those cases, maybe an ammonia-based cleaner like Windex might help?

It might. I used Windex and hairspray with enamels on my Hellcat build some years back. You can see the results in the link in my signature if you want to look.

19 minutes ago, F-4Phanwell said:

Hi John

Again and as always your paint and weathering job is totally fantastic, oustanding, stunning, awesome, you are the master of colours, beside Ralph Riese but he dont posting here anymore, so you are the king now.

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments, Werner!  I have lots to learn and am constantly inspired by all of the great modelers here!