What’s the best undercoat and sealer for decals?

Pup7309

• 4 weeks later...

I use Future all the time to avoid fogging my clear parts up. It works well for that, and lets me use super thin CA too...............but Ive never had luck using it as a clear coat when there are so many other options out there that for me work a LOT better. 

MRPs two part clear is good but pricey. Their single part clear also works very well, and can be used over most anything and dries very fast. I also love Model Masters Ultra gloss clear, which is a lacquer based product similar to the carrier in MRP.

Whatever I used to lay down a base clear for decals, is what I use to go back over the top of the decals. I also try to stick to the same type of dull coat as the gloss coat I used to keep the potential for possible chemical reactions down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on your choice of paint, type, I guess. I'm an old school enamel guy for the most part, so I use Model Master Gloss clear lacquer for the base (either airbrush or rattle can), then go over them with the same, but Matte finish. Sometimes I will lightly wet sand to feather them in and then re-coat. The comes all the weathering after that.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I now only use Mr. Color clear in the bottle.

It comes in gloss, semi-gloss, and flat, and I tend to mix my own formulas up depending on what I'm doing.

I do all my painting in acrylic or lacquer, so there are no problems there.

The moment I switched over, I got a lot better results relative to acrylic clears, and will never go back to them.