Hobbyboss B-24: no turret fix in sight

nmayhew

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Neat to see it in action!  Like most turrets, looks like it took a small gent to get in there.   I was hoping to see him blast off some rounds!  :lol:

You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvlQxJI1rRE

or like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-xbjX-v0c

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Yea, but blasting .50 cal ammo all over a flight line is usually frowned upon.  :frantic:

Lol.  I suppose it is in certain quarters.  

You can see the results of antics like that if you google the recent accidental cannon discharge that took out a couple of parked F-16’s.   

Good Day everyone

I am one of those many that read a lot here and very rarely post but learn a lot form all the insight and comments. I have not purchased the HB B24 YET! But it is calling my name as the LHS has one J in stock. I have been building models for 50+ years and I look for scale correctness in the overall shape in the kits I buy. Although the turrets are a concern I am looking at it as a chance to scratch build them, and make the subject the correct version of the model I am doing. ( Zodiac "Leo" first version 42-52768) At this time there are no decals for the nose art but that can be hand painted. 

So From my side the Hobby Boss B-24 is well worth and cost and effort even with the issues, just where am I going to put it once it's done!

On 2/21/2019 at 5:56 PM, Thunnus said:

Has anyone every tried using the clear UV-activated (Bondic) epoxy on clear parts?  It's super clear... maybe you can fill the alignment pin hole with it to reduce visibility?

I've used a similar product at work and thought about modeling applications. Maybe? Worth trying.

36 minutes ago, adameliclem said:

I've used a similar product at work and thought about modeling applications. Maybe? Worth trying.

There's only one way to be sure.

But two words - refractive index. Not all clear materials have equal properties.

I'm surprised (as a non-B-24 buyer) that clear vac-form parts seem to be overlooked.

I've seen much more deeply drawn parts on toy packaging.

2 hours ago, Chek said:

I'm surprised (as a non-B-24 buyer) that clear vac-form parts seem to be overlooked.

I've seen much more deeply drawn parts on toy packaging.

Because most people seem to not want to  put in any work and try doing it themselves.

2 hours ago, John1 said:

Yeah, most folks are just untalented or flat out lazy. 

The folks at  HB who made the mistake or 

most folks who have or are thinking of purchasing the kit?

Artists have talent. Model makers have techniques. The kit isn’t a blank canvas it’s molded plastic!

In this case clear plastic. So if there are techniques to remedy the problem, great. For the those ‘lazy’ people who don’t have the technical know-how, equipment or time the only option is to pay someone else.

For me it’s cut out the clear parts of the turret, scratch build the inside and buy a vacform/clear resin canopy or leave it open (whichever is the lesser of 2 evils)

Thanks HB for the B24, but a bit more attention to detail would have gone a long way.

Edited by Pup7309