Hobbyboss B-24: no turret fix in sight

nmayhew

Hi folks,

if everything is going right we will get another aftermarket option as somebody is working on full resin turrets with dimension corrections. The set is still at the prototype and technical feasibility step, so we will need to be patient if we do not want to take the vacform route. However, at least this is good news for people looking for another alternative. Hopefully, we will get some news in the future.

Hope this helps

Thierry

On 2/14/2019 at 3:42 PM, Markjames1968 said:

Problem these days is that most in the hobby are just kit assemblers and painters and not  modelmakers , the clear parts are an easy fix with a little milliput  to take casts, polishing of said cast  and vac or plug molding, trimming and assembling said parts to whats left of the trimmed off part is tricky but good results can be had . Its not just modelmaking though, these days everyone wants an instant fix with no effort... patience for others to produce whats needed or effort yourself is the only answer,  bemoaning the fact that others havent done what you wont or cant but need is a strange show indeed..

Nevermind...

Edited by coogrfan
My response to this was waaaaay too salty.

55 minutes ago, coogrfan said:

n/m

Some things are too much of a hassle.  That said, I'm doing quite a bit of DiY detailing and modifying.   So I think your attempt to pigeon hole modelers is just a tad manichean.

Cheers,

Tim W

Edited by TimW

On 2/14/2019 at 3:42 PM, Markjames1968 said:

Problem these days is that most in the hobby are just kit assemblers and painters and not  modelmakers , the clear parts are an easy fix with a little milliput  to take casts, polishing of said cast  and vac or plug molding, trimming and assembling said parts to whats left of the trimmed off part is tricky but good results can be had . Its not just modelmaking though, these days everyone wants an instant fix with no effort... patience for others to produce whats needed or effort yourself is the only answer,  bemoaning the fact that others havent done what you wont or cant but need is a strange show indeed..

Not sure I get that line of thinking really. Is every model maker capable,  just not willing to have a go at what you describe?  No, of course not. Every modeler has his reasons for doing or not doing something model making wise. Making assumptions about others and why they do or dont do something is a slippery slope.

I am one of those "bemoaning" the turrets. Not every modeler can be stuffed into one single definition of what and how they model. Not knowing any other individuals situation and reasoning for NOT doing these things can lead to a lot of assumptions.................  

Can I make them myself?  Yes. I have vac experience, as well as milliput and master making experience.  Im not an expert, but I do have the knowledge.

Do I have the equipment?  No. I made my own vac machine a year or more ago for another project, but it has since been torn apart to use the parts elsewhere.

Do I have the desire?    HARD NO.    After pulling my own vacs I have ZERO interest  in messing around trying to pull my own vac clear parts. Other parts of the turrets, easier but not the clear parts.

Do I have the time?  HARD NO.  Between work and life I get a scant amount of bench time, and Ill be damned if Im going to spend it  doing something I hate. I have way too many other models in my stash, and other things to do to spend it doing something that is not only unnecessary, but not fun in any way shape or form for me.

You must be an expert at pulling clear vac parts, or can accept less than perfect parts..............either that or Hubert and I must have been doing something wrong. Between the two of us, we pulled more than 20 copies, and the discard rate was about 10 - 1 as far as bad to good pulls went. I got there in the end but pulling acceptably clear vac parts is not an easy proposition for most.

Id say you might want to give a thought or two to others reasoning for not messing with this kind of thing. It may have absolutely nothing to do with lack of effort or laziness. 

Sincerely,

A painter / assembler

What are your all thoughts on a PB4Y-2 Privateer conversion for the Hobbyboss kit? I'm up to my elbows in 1/48 Privateer conversion that I will be releasing this coming weekend. So while I have all the parts, plans and drawings out, I'm thinking maybe taking a serious whack at doing this project.

I have always had a thing for the PB4Y-2.  Too bad the only example in plastic is the OOP Matchbox kit.  I think it might be a tad too much considering the cost of the HB kit and then the cost of the conversion kit.  Lots of cutting and splicing, might be a good idea, but not a good seller.  I would think that Trumpeter or Hobby Boss would come out with one in 1/48 at least.

See what kind of feedback you get and what kind of commitment you can get from the modelers.  As much as I like the idea, I doubt I would pop for one.