Hobbyboss B-24: no turret fix in sight

nmayhew

2 minutes ago, 109ace said:

You select on the ebay listing the quanity you want. By selling individually the buyer can tailor their order to their needs. I don;t have to carry a Emerson/Consolidated paired set, and a dual Consolidated set.  I produce to order. Selling individually is a benifit to the buyer. There would be no price difference between paired sets and two sales. Who knows? Maybe Hobby Boss plans a "D" model where one only needes a single Consolidated turret. Maybe somebody will produce a D conversion?

I gotcha--thanks, I'll be watching!

I have a feeling the Emerson turret is hosed up way worse then just the frosted plastic. I think the damn thing is grossly undersized in comparison with the Consolidate A6 unit. Correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the Emerson supposed to be taller then the Consolidated? The Emerson that sits in front of the plane and sits proud of the area in front of the windscreen? Picture provided of the Consolidated on the left and Emerson on the right. Thoughts? The Emerson in the 1/48 Monogram is taller then the Consolidated.

41-28754-4-KU-1680-1024x678.jpg

53861014-2078607728889018-34434478014495

Edited by 109ace

7 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

You realize that the Aerocraft brass gear are just the inserts to replace the kit plastic inserts, correct?  The kit has plastic struts that surround the inserts to make the full MLG leg.

What i was referring to was the lower section of the leg which is not internal but external and blends with the plastic main leg. In the first review it looked somewhat undersize in the blend with the upper leg section. So the lower leg looked telescoped where the lower brass meets plastic.

In another it almost looked identical radius at the join so was wondering if the shrikage was widespread or was it simulating the shock strut? In another it looked similar in diameter at the lower plastic to brass meet point..

I think I have the two turrets correctly proportioned. Consolidated on left, and Emerson on right and in first cast resin. I will fill in the seam between the new top and the turret bottom. Then make a new mold. from there I will cut, chop, and grind the upper and lower dies, then make molds. I hope to have the Emerson done tomorrow. Then on to the Consolidated. That should not be too difficult to get into production. This weekend is looking better for release.

53859536-2079744328775358-60460174052205

Speedy progress.

Will you be just replicating the kit shapes or making them to a specification that you believe to be accurate?

I’m not trying to be smart, just a genuine question since others have expressed doubts about the accuracy of the kit shapes.

Next question: will you be including panel line / rivet and other surface detail, or will they be cast as ‘smooth’ forms and we have to add the detail ourselves?

Orhers may have different opinions, but I would prefer not to have to add this myself.

Kind regards

Nick

5 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Speedy progress.

Will you be just replicating the kit shapes or making them to a specification that you believe to be accurate?

I’m not trying to be smart, just a genuine question since others have expressed doubts about the accuracy of the kit shapes.

Next question: will you be including panel line / rivet and other surface detail, or will they be cast as ‘smooth’ forms and we have to add the detail ourselves?

Orhers may have different opinions, but I would prefer not to have to add this myself.

Kind regards

Nick

I'm not making changes to the Consolidated turret. I am reworking the completely bogus Emerson turret to look as close to the original as possible. Will it be perfect? Doubt it. Not even the Tamiya 1/48 Wildcat pleased everybody. But for $15 a piece, most will get a dinner and a show, and go home happy. I will keep all of the non clear details. The wind covers over the machine guns are wrong sized, That's the only real change to the Emerson you'll see.I am not doing any interior work. My mission is to eliminate the stupid seams, incorrect size of the Emerson, and make these two sets affordable. 

Hannants is showing several upcoming sets for this kit:

ED32944 B-24D/B-24J Cockpit Set

ED32945 B-24D/B-24J Seatbelts

EDJX230 B-24J Window Masks

Here's to hoping their cockpit set is better than their recent disappointing set for the Lancaster. Looks like they are set for release at the end of April.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

The first pressing of the replacement Emerson Turret for the Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24 Liberator is a success. Next up I will continue work on the Consolidated turret. I am working on the Consolidated unit and will have it ready tomorrow 3/16 and available for sale om Sunday 3/17. They are being sold individually for $15 each. 

b-241.jpgb-242.jpg

b-243.jpgB-244.jpg

The vac top for the Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24 Liberator Consolidated turret is real close to where I am happy with it. I need to polish the resin die a little more. Outside of that, I'm really happy with the fit to the bottom. I have to grind out the inside of the bottom to allow fitment of the kit interior.

b-245.jpg