Hobbyboss B-24: no turret fix in sight

nmayhew

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

Thank you.

The requirement for sharpness of detail in 1/32 are greater than 1/48 - obviously the parts are just bigger and there is less room to hide.

Most vac parts on finished models still look vac, and I am not sure my modelling skills can stop a vac canopy looking well, ‘vac’ ...in 1/32 all these issues are magnified.

But...

...if no-one Stateside sends you the parts, let me know - the kit is dog sh*t without a fix for the turrets so I don’t really have anything to loose!

The domes one the real deals were vacuformed. jess sayin'

I have asked Jay at Mastercasters and he said whilst he had considered it, Ali at Aerocraft models had told him he was going to make them so Jay is not starting anything...

Ali is this true?

Eduard have not responded to any questions btw so have nothing to add on that front...

2 hours ago, 109ace said:

I will have two different turret sets out this week. One providing the Emerson/Consolidated combination, and the others providing two Consolidated turrets. Prices to be announced. 

Great timing!   I'll certainly be needing a couple of turrets.

Cheers,

Tim W.

I have just had confirmation from Eduard they will not be making replacement turrets:

”Hello Nick, we aren't going to make the turrets because there are clear parts. It's very complicated to mold  them from clear resin without any bubbles and other defects. However, we'll release other accessories, such as pre-painted PE parts for cockpit, steel seatbelts, wheels bay, etc. Kind regards, Alena Čechová, Marketing Assistant”

So, it looks like another aftermarket manufacturer is stepping back because of the technical challenges. Damn it.

Finally, I am wondering if printing the upper part with a Formlabs2 could not be a solution. This will ask for a lot of polishing but it is far easier to do it with a thicker part than with a vacformed one. With regard to the latter, it is theoretically possible to get totally clear parts but this is not that easy. One thing that is worrying me is the high level of difficulty to get large clear vacform parts with a rather flat top without any blemishes, defaults or microbubbles. Wait and see.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

So, it looks like another aftermarket manufacturer is stepping back because of the technical challenges. Damn it.

Finally, I am wondering if printing the upper part with a Formlabs2 could not be a solution. This will ask for a lot of polishing but it is far easier to do it with a thicker part than with a vacformed one. With regard to the latter, it is theoretically possible to get totally clear parts but this is not that easy. One thing that is worrying me is the high level of difficulty to get large clear vacform parts with a rather flat top without any blemishes, defaults or microbubbles. Wait and see.

Thank you Eduard for being the voice of reason.

I am currently making the dies for both turrets. They will be resin lowers, with vacuformed clear, seamless domes. The kit turret entrance doors and interiors will be used to complete these. They will be selling for $15 each turret, For sales considerations, they will not be sold in pairs.  Watch for release this weekend. They will sell through my Ebay store.

2 minutes ago, Darren Howie said:

The SAC landing gear is out anyone have one?

The brass one released looked in a review far undersize compared to the main gear leg yet another review they looked ok.

Interestee to see if anyone has the SAC set yet?

You realize that the Aerocraft brass gear are just the inserts to replace the kit plastic inserts, correct?  The kit has plastic struts that surround the inserts to make the full MLG leg.

7 minutes ago, Darren Howie said:

The SAC landing gear is out anyone have one?

The brass one released looked in a review far undersize compared to the main gear leg yet another review they looked ok.

Interestee to see if anyone has the SAC set yet?

I wouldn't waste your hard earned cash on the SAC gear.

The SAC B-24 gear are made of the same soft pot metal the rest of their line is, with the minor exception of their other line which are slightly better. I believe the B-24 gear are the former.

As to the Aeroclub brass gear, the reason they look too narrow in some reviews and good in others, is that they are brass inserts only, designed to be a drop fit replacement for the plastic OOB inserts that fit into the OOB shell that is the outer plastic part of the gear.

2 hours ago, 109ace said:

Thank you Eduard for being the voice of reason.

I am currently making the dies for both turrets. They will be resin lowers, with vacuformed clear, seamless domes. The kit turret entrance doors and interiors will be used to complete these. They will be selling for $15 each turret, For sales considerations, they will not be sold in pairs.  Watch for release this weekend. They will sell through my Ebay store.

So if I need two A6 turrets, how do I get them?   My aircraft basically had the same turret fore and aft, so...

Cheers,

Tim W.  

1 hour ago, TimW said:

So if I need two A6 turrets, how do I get them?   My aircraft basically had the same turret fore and aft, so...

Cheers,

Tim W.  

You select on the ebay listing the quanity you want. By selling individually the buyer can tailor their order to their needs. I don;t have to carry a Emerson/Consolidated paired set, and a dual Consolidated set.  I produce to order. Selling individually is a benifit to the buyer. There would be no price difference between paired sets and two sales. Who knows? Maybe Hobby Boss plans a "D" model where one only needes a single Consolidated turret. Maybe somebody will produce a D conversion?