Hobbyboss B-24: no turret fix in sight

nmayhew

I do still feel that the best plan of attack, even in this scale, is what Hasegawa did with their 1/72 Liberator kits. Make the base piece in resin, and vacform or clear resin (or, dare I ask, injection mold) the upper portion. Seemed easy enough for them to do it, so why not in our scale? Would definitely leave room for all those accurate innards. 

47116245392_4c5e717c1b_m.jpgCapture1 by Dennis SAuter, on Flickr

46254121885_807b04fc7e_m.jpgCapture by Dennis SAuter, on Flickr

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I know this is not a "fix" per se but would removal of the alignment pins on the inside of the turrets and polishing them out make the kit turrets more presentable?  As some have pointed out, the seam is not as noticeable as the alignment pins.

5 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

I know this is not a "fix" per se but would removal of the alignment pins on the inside of the turrets and polishing them out make the kit turrets more presentable?  As some have pointed out, the seam is not as noticeable as the alignment pins.

Most definitely it would. I think this would be the most logical fix using the kit parts themselves. However, you're still stuck with the rather inaccurate turret interior, so you may have to scratch build those bits (or not) to suit your personal preference. If no aftermarket turrets materialize, this will likely be my plan of attack.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Keep your hopes up that Eduard will attempt something. They did a beautiful 1/48 deck gun for the 1/48 Trumpeter U-Boat. Not many of those sold either. 

Overall the turrets are a sad state of affairs. And they are pretty prominent. More time and consideration should have been placed on their design. 

I am am waiting for the D model. Polesti attack hopefully.   Will still have rear turret issues possibly but the front will have the greenhouse nose. Hopefully they can make it in one piece. 

Paul C 

59 minutes ago, Paul2660 said:

Keep your hopes up that Eduard will attempt something. They did a beautiful 1/48 deck gun for the 1/48 Trumpeter U-Boat. Not many of those sold either. 

Overall the turrets are a sad state of affairs. And they are pretty prominent. More time and consideration should have been placed on their design. 

I am am waiting for the D model. Polesti attack hopefully.   Will still have rear turret issues possibly but the front will have the greenhouse nose. Hopefully they can make it in one piece. 

Paul C 

I may be wrong but I don’t think Eduard has ever worked in clear resin before.  The one guy who has a proven track record with this stuff is Hypersonic.    

I’m not following all the issues w this kit, is the rear turret as screwed up as the forward one?

in a perfect world, Hobbyboss would re-tool this part and offer free replacements.  Wouldn’t fix everything but it’s better than the status quo.   

Honestly, I think we’re all overthinking it. The real one has fore and aft seams and is split in three pieces.

I’d make a mold and cast one, or carve the basic shape, and then smash mold some pieces to trim following the same seams as the real deal.

Food for thought. I don’t have the kit, but when I get it, that’s how I plan on tackling it.

HTH

Peter

Just received a copy of the Haynes publication B-24 Liberator 1939 onwards (all Marks) Owner's Workshop Manual.   Excellent reference for modelers!  Lots of technical info, illustrations, and a whole chapter on defensive armaments, including the turrets.  There are two exploded views of turret components, which will be invaluable for anyone attempting to scratch build a turret and useful for anyone just wanting to add some detail.  I highly recommend this book.  Price runs around $20 for the soft bound issue, depending on where you buy it.  Incidentally, I got the impression that this book must be selling well because I couldn't find a hardbound copy anywhere for a reasonable price and had to settle for the softbound one.

7 hours ago, RonGUSA said:

I tried that, but it didn't really work. The alignment pins can be removed and polished out, but the alignment holes (the part that the pin goes into) leaves a nasty hole in the clear visible part of the turret. No way to fix that. :oops::BANGHEAD2:

You could theoretically sand the inside surface until the depression of the hole is taken out of play.

Crude example as I do not have any polishing stuff just Micromesh but you get the picture...

IMG-4513.jpg

IMG-4515.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

15 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

I do still feel that the best plan of attack, even in this scale, is what Hasegawa did with their 1/72 Liberator kits. Make the base piece in resin, and vacform or clear resin (or, dare I ask, injection mold) the upper portion. Seemed easy enough for them to do it, so why not in our scale?

Indeed but there is a size difference between the two scales and the largest and deepest is the vacform part, the more complicated it is to get a correct result. To me, it is easier to vacform each individual window and add it on a resin frame. The price is the more complicated assembly but the final result would be a true scale copy that would be roomy enough to add the required internal parts. 

4xn9zCk.jpg

Heres my simple fix. Cut the shaded area out , plunge mold new part , fix together. I ordered another rear turret from trumpeter as War Goddess has the same turret in the tail and nose.  I have to say i think its a real shame that this kit is not getting the credit it deserves. Yes it has a couple of issue but so does the HK Lancaster  , and thats getting wows and wees everywhere This Liberator kit is slightly bigger , has more interior detail and is a THIRD of the price. A 1/32 Bomber for just over £120!!!!!!!!    Im taking the approach above with my turret. If it works great if not then nothing lost really.

I need to do some sanding , and trimming yet , this is all just roughed out.

Edited by gunpowder