Hobbyboss B-24: no turret fix in sight

nmayhew

A few years back one of the sify kit maker put out the Lost In Space robot.  His “head” came as a clear plastic clamshell design with a huge nasty seam right through the middle of it. Like the nose turrets.  A few years later they announced a true glass blown “head” to replace the nasty seamed part.  It took about a year for it to come out, but it was damned well worth it.  And it was only $10.  I think it was Monsters In Motion.  Maybe someone with pull in the hobby could reach out to them for a similar product?  Just smooth class would be fine, since you could use aluminum tape to replicate the sheet metal and framework.  

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

A few years back one of the sify kit maker put out the Lost In Space robot.  His “head” came as a clear plastic clamshell design with a huge nasty seam right through the middle of it. Like the nose turrets.  A few years later they announced a true glass blown “head” to replace the nasty seamed part.  It took about a year for it to come out, but it was damned well worth it.  And it was only $10.  I think it was Monsters In Motion.  Maybe someone with pull in the hobby could reach out to them for a similar product?  Just smooth class would be fine, since you could use aluminum tape to replicate the sheet metal and framework.  

I belive you are talking about the Moebius Models Robot B9 kit.

5 hours ago, Markjames1968 said:

Problem these days is that most in the hobby are just kit assemblers and painters and not  modelmakers , the clear parts are an easy fix with a little milliput  to take casts, polishing of said cast  and vac or plug molding, trimming and assembling said parts to whats left of the trimmed off part is tricky but good results can be had . Its not just modelmaking though, these days everyone wants an instant fix with no effort... patience for others to produce whats needed or effort yourself is the only answer,  bemoaning the fact that others havent done what you wont or cant but need is a strange show indeed..

While those model makers are at it, they might as well just scratch build an entire B-24.    Shouldn’t be a major problem.  

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I belive you are talking about the Moebius Models Robot B9 kit.

YES! I’ve got the kit.  Not sure if it was Moebius that had the globe produced or Monsters in Motion.  When I first opened it up, it was so light and thin I thought it was plastic.  

Your observation is generally correct but out of place in that specific case. "the clear parts are an easy fix"? Come on! Have you the kit and did you look at the parts? Plug molding such parts? You must be kidding! Did you look closely at the size and shapes of the parts? 

If this is so simple, why not producing tons of them and selling them to the "assemblers" ? I am not one assembler. I made very complex resin master parts and do not hesitate to scratchbuild anything but can do the difference between the use of classical modelling techniques and solving a very challenging problem than requires more than normal tooling. I would really appreciate the people who underestimate the issue to have a closer look at that rather than considering that people who are hoping for a solution are just "assemblers"! In any case that discussion is becoming pointless. There is an obvious issue with the turrets and there is an opportunity for an aftermarket actor. Is this going to result in a product stays to be demonstrated. The DIY practical solution I considered was as far as I know never mentioned: replacing only sections of the turrets. This option asks for a far simpler production of replacement parts but a far more complex conversion and assembly as you would have to saw the sections to replace out of the clear parts and create with thin plastic strips a structure to support the new sections. This is not for the faint at heart either! So, no, there is no "easy" solution, alas! 

yes happy to be called an assembler; but also someone who values his time, and knows what he likes to do and what he doesn’t

The ‘how about some modelling skills?’ and ‘everyone’s  just an assembler these days’ don’t really add to discussion.

to each his own

Edited by nmayhew

Agreed that labeling any type of builder as lesser than another is not just wrong,  but IMHO detracts from the enjoyment of the hobby for all. Sure, there are guys who love ultra accuracy; that is one of the largest parts of enjoyment for them. Just like those who like to keep it simple and do OOB builds, that is what they enjoy. 

I think part of the fun in the hobby is finding the parts of it you like and keeping your modeling style in tune with that. I think it keeps the MoJo high, and the fun aspect up. 

Im hoping we get a turret set soon, as I like a lot, are holding out to build the kit (having even purchased one yet as I haven't found any in stock at a good price) until a solution to that issue can be found. The wing doesnt bother me as much as I thought it might, and wheels are coming too, so Im hoping we see a resin or IM clear set for this bird. 

About a month ago, I contacted Profimodeller and inquired if they were going to bring out any upgrade parts for the HK B-24, specifically, the turrets and engines.  They replied yes, they were considering it.  Nothing from them since then, but all of you might want to send them a message stating you interest to give them some further encouragement.  We just might be pleasantly surprised.

As for scratchbuilding, that's fine for those of you who have the skills.  Unfortunately, I don't.  My attempts at scratchbuilding usually end up looking like a pre-schooler's craft project. 

14 minutes ago, Propwash said:

Nothing from them since then, but all of you might want to send them a message stating you interest to give them some further encouragement.  We just might be pleasantly surprised.

Probably a great idea!  Does anyone have the best link/email for Profimodeller to do that?

2 hours ago, Propwash said:

As for scratchbuilding, that's fine for those of you who have the skills.  Unfortunately, I don't.  My attempts at scratchbuilding usually end up looking like a pre-schooler's craft project. 

My attempts at building in general turn out like that.