Iranian F-4D 3-6712, 71st TFS, '' DONE''.......

Daniel Leduc

Hi Dan

Great recovery and good luck with the repaint. I am looking forward to the finished model. I used Xtra-Color enamel on my Iranian F-4. The older formula was so good and had such a fine pigment  I could airbrush the pattern free-hand with a realistic feather. Xtra-Color has since reformulated their enamels and I am not getting close to the same result. ( Some of the paint I obtained in the late eighties still work fine). I do not know why manufacturers have to mess with a good product.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, Out2gtcha said:

I know the feeling!    Ive just gotten done with some painting of my own, and it even went exactly like I wanted and Im still not happy with it. It just goes to show that even the best laid plans and all.

Looking forward to the repaint. 

On 3/12/2019 at 3:04 AM, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Dan

Great recovery and good luck with the repaint. I am looking forward to the finished model. I used Xtra-Color enamel on my Iranian F-4. The older formula was so good and had such a fine pigment  I could airbrush the pattern free-hand with a realistic feather. Xtra-Color has since reformulated their enamels and I am not getting close to the same result. ( Some of the paint I obtained in the late eighties still work fine). I do not know why manufacturers have to mess with a good product.

Thanks guys for your encouragemen, I know, that's part of the game....B)

So right back on the saddle, here's part 2.... overall with Tamiya XF-69

F3fKvR3l.jpg

Under surface with Gunze H311, went very well.

P0koXrHl.jpg

Gonna let it rest for a day or two, window sealing and walkway.. before putting Enamel paint on.

nGZZPFkl.jpg

That will give me time to finallize my colors choice.

Thanks for watching and have fun,

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my little week-end update,

So far the first color came out good, more closer to sand than some sort of skin tone ...

q7XcGcEl.jpg

And the sausage party began..... :beer:

MQhCSPml.jpg

While fixing overspray, I cracked my wing rooth so had to start over my painting on that part.  :BANGHEAD2:

s9sG65rl.jpg

do the engraving on the tank, 12 min. overall.... :whistle:

VHCbxXIl.jpg

3 coat of clear, X20 diluted with Mr.Color 3 to 1,  end up with a very shiny surface.

liz7qV2l.jpg

Used Gunze H311 for my under surface to simulate FS36622, shoot thin coat at a low 10 PSI, mixed 50/50.

really like it.

UzIQOX2l.jpg

A very different set of colors than the last Phantom I did and kind a like it.

Most probably gonna end up finishing my Tamiya Tomcat, stalled for almost 5 year on the doom shelf....:hmmm:

Yeah. I'll go get some more...

h3rWsvCl.jpg

Thanks for watching and have fun.

Dan.

Edited by Daniel Leduc

On 3/26/2019 at 9:07 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Looks grand! I like the repaint much better as well. Fancy-dancy on the little re-scribe jig!  Is that your own design?

Thanks Brian,

Yeah and a very usefull one but the concept is not mine, just a more simple version of one I picked up on another site some ten years ago or so.

Dan.

Here's my little teaser....

Techmod decal went very well and I was filling the stencil gap using Speed Hunter Early Phantom sheet,

but along the way I realise that the sheet was made mainly for SEA camo with both, black and wite,

unfortunitly, I was more in need of black stencils instead of white with this project....

FSlCgFMl.jpg

I decided to go with Warbird Decals sheet from Hannants to fill up the missing one or maybe I'll have to take them all out

if the size doesn't match or look too weird,.. that's sad cause SH stencil are so nice and very fine writting.

4MUzbXJl.jpg

So until I receive my goodies from Hannants, I've got plenty to do....:piliot:

04Z1v8gl.jpg

Hope you like it and thanks for watching.

Dan.

• 7 months later...

I'm back, and planning to finish this one before Christmas...... :whistle:

After 7 months, trying to remember where I letf it, Oh boy..... and not mentionning along the way I changed my mind for the load

with some nice Videoaviation BL755.... Oh yeah. :wicked:

uhzoTVml.jpg?1

Plus, decided to switch Tamiya TER for some Trumpy I took from a Corsair kit, less chubby and better detail on the brace...

Hope you like and have fun, tanks for watching.

Dan.

Edited by Daniel Leduc

Great job on the Iranian Phantom! I've seen IIAF Phantom's in person. Flew into Iran from 1975-1979...last trip just days before the embassy fell. Hauled IIAA Cobra gunships/ Huey's and Phantom and Tomcat parts and a few loads of F-5E's inside the C-5. Waiting for the finished product!! 

Cheers...Ron

Great looking F-4D, and with the ALR-69 RWR "herpes mod" too — there were two corresponding teacake antennae on the dragchute door.  Agree re: Trumpeter bomb racks. They are more realistic than the overweight Tamiya ones.

Looks really good in that Iranian desert scheme with BL755s. The AVQ-9 Paveway "Zot box" was readily removable (WSOs had to unclip it and stow it before being able to eject), so it wouldn't have been fitted unless specifically needed that day.

Tony