Getting rid of Future without Ammonia based stuff

DonH

So, I am embarrassed. I have completely messed up a canopy dipping it in Future. Don't know why. I have tried re-dipping and that didn't work, so the Future will have to come off. How to do this without Simple Green? 

I am going to try some thinners in a minute but don't hold out much hope. What do you suggest? Diluted bleach???

I know you indicated no Ammonia, but I usually can find glass cleaner with Ammonia in it at various places. 

Unfortunately unless someone knows of something that works as good, it's the only thing I know of that removes Future by just dunking.

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Denatured alcohol should also work, which for me generally means methylated spirits.

Kev

I didnt think about that, but Im guessing the 91% alcohol would take Future off for sure, but the 70% stuff Im not too sure of. The only thing I have found with the higher percentage alcohol is it tends to make clear parts even more brittle than they started out.

10 hours ago, themongoose said:

I used windex with ammonia and it worked perfectly. Sprayed it on, rubbed with my fingers, washed it off and dried it...ready to go again.

Same, I've found its by far the easiest way for me personally. 

5 hours ago, Bill_S said:

I use ammonia straight out of the bottle. Five seconds, and the future is gone. Ammonia is equally effective at stripping Tamiya acrylics, too.

Sure Bill but that stuff makes me dizzy !  OK , dizzy-er  :wacko:

Considering the cost and/or the smell, 91% alcohol is your best bet.

Thanks for your help everyone. I used some Mr Color Levelling Thinner for some small parts and it seemed to work. However, I want to try something different for some other parts. I will try to find windex but have never found any ammonia based cleaners here in Singapore. Maybe I need to look harder.

And so I looked harder and found some glass cleaner with ammonia in our cleaning cupboard. :doh:

Edited by DonH

• 2 weeks later...