1/32 F-4K/M. Conversion Set for Tamiya F-4J

ghatherly

HI, research for the moment, but I have a serious question:

Are there 50 of you that would buy the following conversion set at the price point listed.  The set would not include decals and require parts from a Tamiya f-4J kit

F-4K/M Conversion set made along the lines of the Wild Hare Set, but updated with a complete cockpit and other parts updates.  Price for a 50 unit production would be $465.00

A $200 non- refundable deposit would be required, balance due on notification

Delivery within 12 -18 months.  As development would be done as part of my build.

Edited by ghatherly

No, too much $, especially at the Brexit conversion rate which is going to be slightly worse at the end of March. We really need to know what's happening with the Hong Kong Models edition.

The Fleet Air Arm version was the F-4K-for-kilo. The RAF got a few for 43 sqn, then Treble One, which they designated the FG.1.

Tony 

While I personally don’t think the HKM kit will ever be released, I wouldn’t do it.  Not saying this just because I’m sitting on an unbuilt Wild Hare kit (which I’d like see someone make better exhausts for), but I’m not sure it would be a good idea for business reasons.

Even if HKM had never announced their kit, I think you’d be very hard pressed to get 50 people from this site interested enough to put up $200 in non-refundable funds for something sight unseen and with an indeterminate release date.  12-18 months may be a goal, but we all know that in real life stuff can happen, and if the timeline pushes out, people will start to gear antsy and the hate and discontent will start coming out.

I agree with all of you.   The proposal is similar to what other companies have done.   The best bet  still is to build one from scratch.  Even what Tony and Chek propose on the other thread is a $200 kit of which would require scratch bold skills to use.

What I may do is make molds of what I  make for my build and see where it leads as to price and ease of construction.  

3 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

F-4L?  Never heard of it.

How does K/M sound?  At least you were paying attention

If nothing else is clear is that everyone has a different idea of what needs to be done.   For this reason alone no one would dare do a kit.   Too expensive if a kit  is offered most modelers can build and too expensive for all but a very few.  Those few already have the Wild Hare kit and most paid a bit to get it.  I see that outside of HK releasing a kit or building a CE, that scratch building is the only way to ad one of these to you self.  I would venture to say that even scratch building will have costs well above what you think they will be.   Having an F-4K/M is not a cheap model no matter how you get it done.

25 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

F-4L?  Never heard of it.

There was an F-4L paper proposal designed to operate off the 27-Charlie carriers (on the basis the updated F-8s were on the way out sooner than the ships) with the extra push and longer NLG of the K with the option of two Phoenix missiles. 

In the end, the USN managed to scrape enough F-8s together and update them for service in the early-mid 1970s.

Realistically, if there's a pressing need for a "British" Phantom there always were the RAF Wattisham F-4J(UK) jets from No.74 Sqn Tigers  — or, a slight diversion into 1/48, building the Revellogawas dressed up with Hypersonic, Aires and Alleycat parts, and wearing a host of emerging Xtradecals. I'm taking the latter pathway this year as we don't yet have the pledged Kitty Hawk 1/32 Jaguars, either.

Tony 

OK, is there a web page that shows exactly what is different between the Brit Phantom vs. say a J model?  Maybe a scratch build article? Article on the CE kit showing all parts and pieces?   I'm in for an IM kit, but reading bits and pieces about making the fuse wider, etc sounds a little intimidating. 

27 minutes ago, DonH said:

Too pricey for me, sorry.

See my other thread about the possibility of 3D printing.

This was being discussed on page 38-onwards of the HKM F-4K/M thread. 

I think resin is useful for some non load bearing items and decorative bits, but multi-media with emphasis on 3D printed polystyrene is the solution here, for inlets, nozzles and fuselage flanks, the latter to be glued over the Tamiya J79 fuselage using regular liquid glue.

The technology is here now, provided somebody can design the parts.

How much the CAD costs I don't know: is it done for love, the going rate of a tattooist, a hefty levy in Guineas invoiced in quill & ink by a professional, or a true artist / producer willing to take a percentage on sales? (I did the latter all the time when authoring books.)

Agree any such cockpit should be DIY, but the NLG really deserves bronze. The CE edition looks decidely anaemic.

Tony 

52 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

OK, is there a web page that shows exactly what is different between the Brit Phantom vs. say a J model?  Maybe a scratch build article? Article on the CE kit showing all parts and pieces?   I'm in for an IM kit, but reading bits and pieces about making the fuse wider, etc sounds a little intimidating. 

Tommy Thomason's blog is likely about as authoritative as there is with a fairly comprehensive run down here.

There's also a build currently in progress over on LSM here.

I posted this to show how different each persons opinion is of a conversion.  The 3D printed and multi media version you propose are not cheap, and may be more be costly than what I estimate for all resin.    With each person wanting something different, and the varying opinions of what is right and what is not, no one is going to touch such a project as it would be suicide for whatever was produced.  It would be too expensive, wrong shape, hard to build, etc.    I guess what is needed is a complete plastic kit for $50.  What maybe the cause of no F-4K/M yet from HK or anyone else is the protective customer base????  Just food for thought.