RP Models -1/10th Douglas Bader and Spitfire Cockpit

Brodiebear

This  is the 1/10th model of Douglas Bader sitting in a spitfire cockpit, released as a limited edition run by RP Models, I wont go into the full details as their is a lot of fantastic resin,but suffice to say even in dry fit without any trimming/ sanding it goes together like a dream, only small fit issue i have noticed is the googles, not matching up to the straps, but once sanded and cleaned the resin inside the googles may be a perfect fit, few photos of how it looks, its a chunky and not a light piece of resin.
I will build the cockpit first then the great man himself.

45848051624_eacded0015_o.jpg

I started cleaning up the major cockpit components, just the usual seam line here and there, opening up some of the holes. The hardest part was where the compass slots onto the instrument fascia, the slot is too small to get a file in so it’s a case of scrapping away the inside with a sharp blade. It is apparent that there is a bit of warpage on the main structural items, including the ‘keel’. Think it’s going to take some careful reshaping in boiling water. I did notice that if I was to glue the seat structure to the rear bulkhead and then glue this to the keel it should pull that part into alignment to attach the instrument panel bulkhead.

‘Douglas’ just required some scrapping and sanding of a few mould lines on his arms and back of his one leg, the googles required some time in cleaning out the back of the left lens, a bit of resin was lodged in here, again tricky to get rid of, but perseverance paid off, along with removing some of the resin on his helmet so the lens sat better. Will just need a smidgen of filler to join the googles to the strap.

got round to getting some paint on the SRBP (Synthetic Resin-Bonded Paper) last night, custom mix of tamiya earth, flat red, flat yellow and flat white, overlayed the brush strokes to try and create a pattern of sorts. A futile exercise really as once the pilot is seated it will never be seen again :tired::sad: But i enjoyed the couple of hours painting. :tongue-out3::smiling5:

46067124785_fa58a03b99_z.jpg

Been Honest i wasn't looking forward to the decals as even from the top model companies sometimes they break up, curl over, don't sit very well, so when i saw it was RP's first go at them i thought i was in for a long time. How wrong was I, they went on like a dream and just over 1 1/2hrs later all done.

46067124395_faf57eeca7_z.jpg

46256521344_5c6c4293dd_z.jpg

46951807182_4e96100273_z.jpg

Spent a good hour or so last night working on the Gun sight. Had to file out the back of the lens holder and side frames. Did start to score away the top 'glass' but one of the side supports started to come away, so have abandoned that idea. In hindsight I should have cut that piece away first and then sorted the side frames, not sure if they would have survived though as the 'resin webbing' is quite thick, someone needs to devise a 'hot wire' for resin Lol.

46158987925_7445993929_z.jpg

46158987775_8def8db0ea.jpg

Many thanks all, i am not the fastest builder / painter so bit sporadic with updates, but i will get there in the end. Got all my references ready for Baders Sidcot flying suit, life jacket, parachute, gloves and helmet with goggles, just to translate these images into actual painting of the figure. Got a few more bits of the Spitty cockpit to complete first; Compass, Throttle quadrant and the IFF panel.

Steve.

Edited by Brodiebear

3 hours ago, Brodiebear said:

Many thanks all, i am not the fastest builder / painter so bit sporadic with updates, but i will get there in the end

Dont worry about that Steve, there are plenty of slow builders on LSP including myself. 

Compass Painted up last night, cockpit green for the metal work, attached to back of IP, then a medium grey for the compass housing and gloss black for the compass dial. I acually painted the dial white and when dry over painted with the black, when that was dry i used one of my 'testing' needles (Diabetic Type 2), to scratch the black paint away to mark some sort of points on the compass. Then a blob of red for 'North' and sealed in with some vallejo water resin. The stick its on is a standard coffee stirrer (5mm wide);

33225727828_8fe6f103f7.jpg

I have the same kit and had a hard time finding information about his uniform.  In his biography "Reach for the Sky" there was a mention of him wearing his special black flight suit around the base.  I thought it would be interesting to model that but could not find any information on it.  So I went with what I hope is reasonably close.  I have most of the base colors on the body and will start to highlight, shade, and touch up this week.  It's been a slow build but absolutely love it!  It's my first figure so I thought I'd get practice on the body before doing the head.  

Any information you can share on his uniform would be appreciated!  Although it's too late for me...   I'll post a few pictures when I get a chance.

I'm looking forward to following this build!!!!  Good luck and enjoy!

5 minutes ago, Planeguy88 said:

How can I post pictures?  

You can't upload them directly to the forums; instead, you'll need to upload them to a third-party host (there are plenty dedicated to hosting images, such as ImageShack, Imgur, SmugMug, or even Flickr and Google Photos), and then link them to your post from there. It's pretty easy to do, but unfortunately, we've only done a single tutorial so far, and it's already out-of-date:

Kev