Another LHS closing...sign of the times

R Palimaka

49 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

and I think the only thing that may save them, is if tax is levied on internet purchases via the state you live in for the US. Not sure how it would work for the rest of the world tax vs shipping wise. 

The UK government is already thinking about this which means the likes of Amazon and Evilbay will finally have to pay the right amount of tax in the country they earn the money from. Gets my vote all day long. It's a total con when a highstreet shop pays more in tax than a multi-national company.

17 minutes ago, AlanG said:

The UK government is already thinking about this which means the likes of Amazon and Evilbay will finally have to pay the right amount of tax in the country they earn the money from. Gets my vote all day long. It's a total con when a highstreet shop pays more in tax than a multi-national company.

I wholeheartedly agree. Although no one including myself likes to pay more, Ill put in my share of internet tax, so that the brick and mortar shops can complete.  It really isnt fair that huge corps get breaks like that when the little guys who are just getting by have to pay more. 

Over many years  five or six shops closed in my town.There's only one left.

I put it down to the internet and conventions.I visit eight or ten conventions a year,where I find most of the kits at cheaper prizes.

Unless I badly need that one kit I haven't found at a convention.Then I order it at the shop.

So,I'm to blame too.:(

Edited by Erwin

I live in a city of 400,000 people and we have 4 shops that cover everything from trains, kits and R/C but no aftermarket. I support 3 of them for paint, glue and kits, only buy aftermarket from Hannant's . We also have a big IPMS club here 50 members (me included) who also support the local shops.

Don

I still have a LHS Model Cave in Ypsilanti,that is about 35 minutes away.  I usually plan a few errands in the Ann Arbor area so as to make the drive more cost effective.  The couple that owns the shop are very receptive to suggestions.  There a many car model builders in the area and they wanted lacquer based paints.  They now stock the "Gunze lacquer" based paints.  Prices are pretty good.

Rick

12 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

... if tax is levied on internet purchases via the state you live in for the US. Not sure how it would work for the rest of the world tax vs shipping wise. 

If they do tax internet purchases, that plus outrageous shipping costs could drive people

back to the LHS. Be a more level playing field.

Used to enjoy four LHS in Northbay California area (one a well stocked Hobbytown) two would hold monthly meetings (one IPMS), then when I moved north of Seattle 13 yrs. ago there were 6 LHS here (one Hobbbytown), none of them with monthly meetings. There is a Seattle IPMS chapter, but either too far, or on a day I can't attend. I went to the closing of four of the 6 over the years for mega markdowns, and Hobby Lobby showed up a few yrs. ago, but with only two chain shops to go to now, one LHS quite far away, times changed a while ago here. 

BTW, on visits to my old Calif. kickin' grounds, only ONE shop still open, and it is mainly RC or slotcars.

Finally, I am in an online taxed State, so get taxed on purchases now.  

6 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

If they do tax internet purchases, that plus outrageous shipping costs could drive people

back to the LHS. Be a more level playing field.

Try living in the north east of Scotland where people think that everything above Perth is the Highlands & Islands therefore not mainland UK and thus charge you stupid amounts more for postage. I think i'm going to start charging people extra to send things down south because obviously i have to travel to the mainland to post my items (i don't but hey ho). I'm English through and through. But sometimes i get so £$^$%& annoyed at English companies and their mis-conceptions

7 hours ago, AlanG said:

Try living in the north east of Scotland where people think that everything above Perth is the Highlands & Islands therefore not mainland UK and thus charge you stupid amounts more for postage. I think i'm going to start charging people extra to send things down south because obviously i have to travel to the mainland to post my items (i don't but hey ho). I'm English through and through. But sometimes i get so £$^$%& annoyed at English companies and their mis-conceptions

Gotta findya one of those chums to have your goods sent to "down south" so once in awhile you do a parcel run!   Cheers

I'm from a county called Lincolnshire and i go 'home' once a year so i was after something bigger then i could possibly wait until then. But you know what us modellers are like. We want it now....no infact yesterday! Even if it is going to sit in the stash for years lol

16 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

I still have a LHS Model Cave in Ypsilanti

I go to the one in Ypsi when i go up to visit my dad, they have a fair to good selection

There name is Nankin Hobby on Washtenaw ave, If you ever make it over to Tecumseh, J Bar Hobbies is also a great place.

Edited by SCRATCH BUILDER

Taxing internet purchases will no more benefit LHS's than raising the fuel tax will decrease oil consumption or  raising the tobacco tax will force people to quit smoking/dipping/chewing.  People buy where they do (on-line, brick 'n mortar, or combination) because of preference and economic (spend time vs. money) advantage.  The Hobby industry is no longer "niche", it's down to the "square-root of niche", with fewer people spending more money on increasingly more expensive items.  If LHS's want to compete, they'll have to compete on-line as well (e.g., King's Hobby in Austin TX sells as March22 on ebay), just like the Big Box retailers have been forced to do. On the up-side, I've noticed that my local Hobby Lobby has been stocking more and better model supplies, which saves me the time/gas/aggravation of driving to/through Austin to visit King's.