New from Model Monkey: 1/32 Beaufighter cockpits, dihedral tailplanes and 1/24 Mustang upgrades

Model_Monkey

5 minutes ago, ajw1977 said:

Looks awesome, I was happy just with the observers station, but carrying it through to the front spar and including the ammo boxes is really cool! Thankyou for continuing the work on these! I have an early cockpit but I really want a mk21 so I guess I’ll order that with the rear section! 

No worries, PM sent.

A bit more work done: oxygen bottles, tool locker (top box), cartridge stowage (bottom box), and the rack that holds them.

Some of what you see here will change.

yVWVaBc.jpg

uroBDoJ.jpg

gXLiVkB.jpg

I9S9cq2.jpg

Below is the observer's station married to the cockpit.  The observer's station floor will be widened later to match the contours of the Revell kit's fuselage halves.  As you can see, the cockpit and observer's station together make a very large model, about 25.25 cm (~10 inches) long.  Because of its large size and the extraordinary time it will take to 3D print, I regret to report that the model will be relatively expensive.

Still much design work to do.

1kJcGkP.jpg

2 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

yVWVaBc.jpg

uroBDoJ.jpg

gXLiVkB.jpg

I9S9cq2.jpgBecause of its large size and the extraordinary time it will take to 3D print, I regret to report that the model will be relatively expensive.

1kJcGkP.jpg

This is so cool-

as far as the cost goes; I’ve had the Revell Beau in my stash for 20+ years, waiting for these parts. I am certainly not the only modeler in this situation.

Sure, if someone had released a high-grade Beau in 32nd scale, I’d have built it already!

But here comes Model Monkey to the rescue! I have no doubt your parts will be less expensive than a high-grade Beau kit that doesn’t even exist- And I also have no doubt that guys like me will pony-up the money for well executed parts. All good!

cheers

Pete

Here is some preliminary work done on the Hispano-Suiza HS.404 20 mm cannon.  This is the drum-fed model suitable for early Beaufighters.  A belt-fed cannon for late-model Beaufighters will also be designed.  Four of these are fit below the observer's station, parts of which will be visible through floor cutouts.

Much work yet to do.  Some of what you see here will change.

euMgld0.jpg

AcmLGZs.jpg

Edited by Model_Monkey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much, Martin!  Very much appreciate the complimentary comments and photos!

Design work for the 1/32 scale Beaufighter Observer's Station continues.  A rough test print of the basic floor, seat stand and oxygen bottle rack shows that the model will fit the Revell kit very well.  The two double-width ribs fore and aft of the observer's seat are included to aid in alignment and positioning. 

The next-to-bottom photo shows how the station fits with the cockpit and intra-spar equipment bay (already for sale in two configurations).  The models fit better than shown in the photo; gravity was working against me when taking the picture so the models are laying slightly higher than they will be when glued into the fuselage halves. 

The bottom rendering shows the cannon control box presently in design.  It is the boxy structure on the floor forward of the seat stand, between the rear-most cannon alignment adjustment controls.  The model includes the raised lettering, safety switches and electrical cabling shown clearly in the rendering which didn't photograph well on the model.

The cockpit and observer's station models shown in these photos are rough prints, only intended for test fit purposes.  The models sold will be a bit cleaner.  The test print observer's station model does not include the 20 mm cannons, ammo bins or observer's seat, all of which will be included in the actual models sold.  The observer's seat stand shown here is the latter type, reinforced stand.  A model with the early type stand will be made available, too.

More work to be done.

UiOsACD.jpg

sEgwhJC.jpg

yso0nyQ.jpg

kXQ64TB.jpg

DNc8O6q.jpg