New from Model Monkey: 1/32 Beaufighter cockpits, dihedral tailplanes and 1/24 Mustang upgrades

Model_Monkey

On 9/30/2019 at 7:09 PM, Model_Monkey said:

Thanks, fellas!

Regarding fitting the 3D wells to a Trumpeter kit, I do not know if the model is a good fit for Trumpeter. 

The model's design was first drawn in 3D to match overall dimensions shown in NAA drawings.  The model then required some dimensional adjustments to fit the Airfix kit's wing and wheel well openings.  If the Trumpeter kit's wing is dimensionally different than the Airfix kit's wing, the 3D model's adjustments may make the model a poor fit for Trumpeter.  Conversely, if the Trumpeter kit's wing is a good dimensional match for Airfix, this 3D model may be a good fit for Trumpeter, too.

Thanks again!

Well, I might guinea pig it out for you as I have both kits so I will be getting at least one, though my intent is a Frankenstein single model out of the mix. However, I am in the middle of moving my main residence to AZ so everything is in flux and I won't see either kit for about 7 months. *sigh* Might order towards the end of the month, though. Also, I will be PM'ing you about a possible other project. So look for that in the next couple weeks (on the road right now).

• 4 weeks later...

The 1/24 scale P-51D Mustang (Mustang Mk.IV) wheel wells design for the classic Airfix kit is now about 95% complete.

Here are some renderings of the design so far that shows detailing [edit: see actual product photos and renderings in following posts]. Some of what you see here will change. The coloration is suggested.  Real Mustang coloration varied.  Paint yours any way you like.  The ribs will be thinned and given a flange around the edge.

I hope to have several models available for sale at Telford.  Thanks to Toms Modelworks / White Ensign Models who will be hosting Model Monkey products at their table.  Drop by and say hello to owner Richard Harden.

The wheel wells turned out to be a much bigger research and design project than expected.  Thanks for your patience, especially to those waiting for Beaufighter observer's stations and torpedoes!

Edited by Model_Monkey
Updated.

10 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

The 1/24 scale P-51D Mustang (Mustang Mk.IV) wheel wells design for the classic Airfix kit is now about 95% complete.

The wheel wells turned out to be a much bigger research and design project than expected. 

Wow!!!

It is very complex and crowded in there. I wondered how far you would decide to go in detailing the wheel wells. 

But what you show in the renderings is astonishing, far beyond what I expected! It's beautiful, and accurate, and will save hours and hours of time...and most of us could not reproduce that level of detail by scratch-building anyway. Looking forward to getting a couple when they're ready.

Thank you so much.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

A wheel wells insert for the classic 1/24 scale Airfix P-51D, P-51K and Mustang Mk.IV kits has been added to the catalog.  Thanks for your patience!

The model features a separate coolant piping section, hydraulic accumulator, fuel tank selector valve, and inner doors actuator pistons.  Sprue removal from the fuel tank selector valve is difficult (piping is fragile).  A spare will be sent with the model.

This model is sized specifically for Airfix and is not likely to fit Trumpeter kits.

file.php?id=122310&mode=view

file.php?id=122311&mode=view

file.php?id=122312&mode=view

file.php?id=122313&mode=view

file.php?id=122314&mode=view

file.php?id=122315&mode=view

file.php?id=122316&mode=view

file.php?id=122317&mode=view

Painting suggestion:

file.php?id=122318&mode=view

file.php?id=122319&mode=view

Edited by Model_Monkey

Oh my! That is an astonishing amount of detail worked into that correction! Speaking only for myself, but there is no way I could have reproduced that. Thank you so much!

Might you consider doing the inner doors eventually? I know you're busy working on many projects, but it would be nice to match the wheel wells with a decent looking set of doors mounted right beside it.

Here is what you get in the kit compared with ones I scratch-built (and they're not entirely accurate either):

ryFL7vJl.jpg

Just a thought.

Thanks again, will be ordering shortly.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Thanks so much, everyone!

I'll add inner doors to the project queue.  It will be a while before I get to them. 

Present design projects include:

• 1/32 scale Beaufighter radar operator/observer's station
  • 1/32 scale Beaufighter early style dihedral tailplanes (late style are available now)
  • 1/32 scale Beaufighter and Swordfish 18-inch Mk.15 torpedo
  • 1/28 scale "Spandau" machineguns for the classic 1/28 scale Revell Fokker Dr.I Triplane and D.VII
  • 1/350 scale forward funnels for King George V class battleships (aft funnels are available now)  

The reason several projects get worked on together is that work proceeds as available references permit.  As soon as I find an authoritative reference for a feature, I design it in 3D for the model then move on to the next feature supported by references, which usually is a feature for a different model.  Finding sufficient references for the Beau observer's station has been very difficult so that project has taken much, much longer than expected.  Apparently, the RAF was keen to keep what was in that area a secret.  Hope to have the station done shortly.  

Some good news, the design for a 1/32 scale and 1/48 scale "Blockbuster"/"Cookie" 8000 lb. high capacity bomb for Avro Lancasters is complete and the models are available.  Here's the 3-piece 1/32 scale "cookie":

file.php?id=121914&mode=view

file.php?id=121915&mode=view

For ship modelers, a bridge for the battleship USS Missouri BB-63 as it appeared during the ship's Atlantic shakedown cruise in 1944 and another for 1945 (Japanese surrender ceremony appearance) are complete.  And, an island for the Essex class aircraft carrier USS Yorktown CV-10 as it appeared from 1955-1960 is done.  Here's the island in 1/530 scale for classic Revell kits:

file.php?id=122247&mode=view

Future projects include:

• cockpit for the classic Hasegawa 1/32 scale F6F-3/5 Hellcat (research is complete) - really excited to get started on this one
  • cockpit for the classic Hasegawa 1/32 scale Boeing F4B-4
  • motors for 1/28 scale Revell World War I fighters
  • cockpits for classic Revell/Monogram 1/48 scale bombers (B-17, B-24, B-25, B-26, B-29, PBY, etc.)
  • island for USS Yorktown CVS-10, 1968-1970 (Vietnam War-era / "Tora Tora Tora" filming - she played Akagi in the film)

Possible future projects, depending on market interest, may include:

• cockpit for the classic Hasegawa 1/32 scale F-86 Sabre (research is complete)
  • shuttle bay for the classic AMT USS Enterprise NCC-1701 / NCC-1701-A

Here's how the 1/28 scale Spandau machinegun design is coming along.  Some of what you see here will change. 

file.php?id=119361&mode=view

file.php?id=119362&mode=view

file.php?id=119363&mode=view

Edited by Model_Monkey

2 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:
  • 1/32 scale Beaufighter radar operator/observer's station
  • 1/32 scale Beaufighter early style dihedral tailplanes (late style are available now)

• cockpit for the classic Hasegawa 1/32 scale F6F-3/5 Hellcat (research is complete) - really excited to get started on this one
  • cockpit for the classic Hasegawa 1/32 scale Boeing F4B-4

Count me in for multiples of all the above, and add the 1/24 P-51D cowl, K-14 and wheel wells to that list as well.  ;)

Thanks for all you do for us!

D

Thanks so much, everyone!  So many orders have come in so quickly that it was necessary to order another printer.  It won't arrive until sometime between Christmas and New Years.  Order fulfillment may be a bit slow until the new printer is operational but we are printing 24/7.  Your patience and patronage are hugely appreciated!

In the mean time, several Model Monkey products are available at Telford.  Stop by the Toms Modelworks table to see some for yourself.  The selection includes aircraft, ship and armor-related products, like this 1/35 scale Maybach HL230 P30 motor for Tiger and Panther tanks. 

file.php?id=121923&mode=view

file.php?id=121924&mode=view

file.php?id=121925&mode=view

file.php?id=121926&mode=view

file.php?id=121927&mode=view

Edited by Model_Monkey

Dear friends,

We have been overwhelmed by the unexpectedly huge demand for newly released 1/24 scale P-51 Mustang wheel wells, so many that we have had to temporarily stop accepting new orders while we fill existing orders.

We greatly appreciate your continued patronage.  We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and disappointment.

In order to further expand our production capacity, we have ordered another state-of-the-art 3D printer but it will not be shipped to us until late December.

Customers can continue to log in to Model-Monkey.com and add products to carts but checkout is disabled.

As soon as we are caught up with orders, we will reactivate the Model-Monkey.com checkout feature and post a notification here.

Thank you all for your support, patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Steve Larsen