New from Model Monkey: 1/32 Beaufighter cockpits, dihedral tailplanes and 1/24 Mustang upgrades

Model_Monkey

These do look fantastic! Any Beau experts know which tailplanes (early vs. late) are appropriate for the USAAF Mk VIF aircraft? looks like the Mk VIF could have either; and I haven't found a definitive  reference photo to answer the question-

My guess is early....

TIA

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

4 hours ago, D Bellis said:

Doh! :o Looking forward to see how you work around the thin elevator TE issue.

D

Just takes a bit of work.  The printer needs a smidgen more material to work with.  I should be able to make the adjustment in a day or so and have new elevators printed shortly.  This is a good example why test prints are expensive but necessary.  It's all a part of the game.  Once these are a "go", I'll create some early dihedral tailplanes for those that want them. 

Next will be the NF Mk.I radar operator's station.  That is a very big project and will take some time, perhaps 3-4 weeks.  Then comes a station for the Mk.X.  Research continues to determine the kit associated with the Mk.VIII radar for the Beaufighter Mk.X radar operator's station.  Dimensions for each Mk.VIII component have so far proved elusive.  During the search, I did find Elvis (alive), the Loch Ness Monster, boxes full of Florida ballots, Jimmy Hoffa's body, an envelope labeled "grassy knoll" containing a shell casing, a single Bigfoot, and a unicorn.  I'll reveal all of those to the public once I get the book deal signed.

Still plan to design a torpedo (or two) and take a stab at a Sperry autopilot bulge.

Somewhere in all that, I'll make the final tweaks to the 1/24 scale P-51 Mustang upper cowling for the classic Airfix kit.  The 3D design was created from scans of original North American Aviation blueprints.  The shape and size of the rest of the Airfix kit's forward fuselage is pleasantly very close to that shown in NAA drawings.

Edited by Model_Monkey
Typo.

2 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

During the search, I did find Elvis (alive), the Loch Ness Monster, boxes full of Florida ballots, Jimmy Hoffa's body, an envelope labeled "grassy knoll" containing a shell casing, a single Bigfoot, and a unicorn.  I'll reveal all of those to the public once I get the book deal signed.

What, no Roswell alien spacecraft parts?!?

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

11 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

During the search, I did find Elvis (alive), the Loch Ness Monster, boxes full of Florida ballots, Jimmy Hoffa's body, an envelope labeled "grassy knoll" containing a shell casing, a single Bigfoot, and a unicorn.  I'll reveal all of those to the public once I get the book deal signed.

:rofl:

11 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

Still plan to design a torpedo (or two) and take a stab at a Sperry autopilot bulge.

Somewhere in all that, I'll make the final tweaks to the 1/24 scale P-51 Mustang upper cowling for the classic Airfix kit

Awesome. Somehow, you're hitting the exact stuff that's been at the top of my 'wish someone made' list for decades. Thanks! 

D

11 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

...which tailplanes (early vs. late) are appropriate for the USAAF Mk VIF aircraft?

Barring photographic evidence of a specific airplane, the 'early' type are a safe bet. The 'late' tailplanes were introduced during Mk.X production, and later retrofitted to existing RAF airframes. Since USAAF Beaufighters came from RAF stocks, photos of the airplane you wish to build would be extremely helpful in determining which you'll need. 

HTH,

D

10 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

What, no Roswell alien spacecraft parts?!?

So that's what that metallic foil was!  I thought it was just parts from a weather balloon.  Live and learn.

Edit:  during my continuing research efforts, I have not yet found out why a nickle is bigger than a dime, why one drives in a parkway and parks in a  driveway, nor why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets (comms perhaps?).  If anything comes to light I will be sure and pass it along. 

Edited by Model_Monkey

Good news: test print of tailplanes version 2.0 is scheduled for late today.  They will print overnight. 

In the meantime, here are a couple photos of the stabilizers fit to the Revell fuselage.  They are accurately set to 12.5 degrees and have a noticeably greater span than Beau Mk.I flat tailplanes.  They are not "bent" Mk.I tailplanes.  The Revell kit's fuselage-to-stabilizer joint is a bit thicker than scale just at the leading edge.   A few swipes with a sanding stick will tame the Revell parts to match the accurately cambered 3D-printed parts.  In researching the tailplanes and cockpit, it became apparent that Revell got many of the Beaufighter's overall shapes and features right when producing this kit so many years ago.

When painting and weathering your tailplanes, note that the leading edge of the outer stabilizer panel on the real stabilizers was made of wood*.  The rest of the stabilizer was metal.  The stabilizer outer panel joint is replicated here by a subtly recessed panel line visible in the photos below, as are a small number of accurately raised rivets at the aft end of the flat panel near the rudder hinge line.  Except for recessed panel lines, the rest of the stabilizer is smooth.

file.php?id=117276&mode=view

file.php?id=117277&mode=view

*  A good photo of the exposed wooden leading edge can be found in "The Bristol Beaufighter: A Detailed Guide to Bristol's Hard-hitting Twin" by Richard A. Franks, Valiant Publishing, page 51

Edited by Model_Monkey
Typo.