New from Model Monkey: 1/32 Beaufighter cockpits, dihedral tailplanes and 1/24 Mustang upgrades

Model_Monkey

15 hours ago, D Bellis said:

Lookin' good! :)

Are you planning on doing the so-called "early" dihedral tailplanes (with the offset hinge line) as well? 

D

Great question.  I'm happy to try if there is demand for them.

Despite the simple appearance of tailplanes, the geometry of the curvatures across them is actually quite complex.  The design is giving my CAD software a real challenge.  But so far, so good.

3 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

I'm happy to try if there is demand for them.

Honestly, it's a bit of a tossup for which style a modeler might want to use. The Brits developed the 'late' dihedral tailplanes for the Mk.X and subsequently retrofitted them to earlier airframes. The Aussies (prolific users of the Beau, BTW) used the early style starting with their imported Mk.VIs all the way through their own Mk.21 production. So, Beaus in the ETO or CBI theaters could have either early or late dihedral tailplanes, while those serving with the Aussies would be early style only. (I could be wrong, and would love to see photographic evidence of an Aussie Beau with late style dihedral tailplanes if such a thing did in fact exist). 

If you do decide to design both styles, I'll be buying both styles. ;)

D

Not quite correct D

Early RAAF beau fighters had the flat tailplanes but the Mk21s certainly had the late style dihedral tailplanes. A search through the Australian War Memorials photo collection will reveal many photos of Beaufighters with the late style tailplanes.  No Mk21 Beaus had the early flat style tailplane

Bruce

1 hour ago, pacificmustang said:

Not quite correct D

Early RAAF beau fighters had the flat tailplanes but the Mk21s certainly had the late style dihedral tailplanes. A search through the Australian War Memorials photo collection will reveal many photos of Beaufighters with the late style tailplanes.  No Mk21 Beaus had the early flat style tailplane

Bruce

There were two types of dihedral tailplanes. Not "early" as in the flat type, "early" as in the first iteration of dihedral tailplanes which retained the flat tailplanes' offset hinge line. The 'late' type dihedral tailplanes had a different, straighter hinge line that provided more elevator area, and were not used by the Aussies. 

See Below.

HTH,

D

Edited by D Bellis

Eleven pages of awesome Beaufighter Monkey Maddness. How cool is that I say?  I certainly am making my way to a purchase but I’m cheap.  I want to save on shipping costs to Singapore.  

Nice images from brother D on the dihedral tail planes..  Brent also has a really good idea.  The problem I have is the choice in variants.  The Aussie foliage green birds looks awesome.  I like the Black Friday birds as well.  

Well done MM.  

Troy

14 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

The problem I have is the choice in variants.  The Aussie foliage green birds looks awesome. I like the Black Friday birds as well.  

You'll only have to choose between 'early' dihedral tailplanes for an Aussie Mk.21, or 'late' tailplanes for a Black Friday TF.X.

Best bet is to just buy both tailplane types (when they're ready) and sort it out later. :D ;) 

D