New from Model Monkey: 1/32 Beaufighter cockpits, dihedral tailplanes and 1/24 Mustang upgrades

Model_Monkey

Vector's engines look very good.  Pricing for 3D-printing would likely be similar.  Rather than split the market for them, I'll probably pass on designing Hercules engines.

The photo-sensitive gray resin I use performs beautifully but it is very costly.  With tax and shipping, it runs $178 USD per liter.  That, and the cost of the very pricey printer together with research and product development design costs, is why 3D-printed products are relatively expensive.  Hopefully, as the technology continues to mature, photo-sensitive resin and 3D printers will continue to come down in price.

5 minutes ago, Model_Monkey said:

Vector's engines look very good.  Pricing for 3D-printing would likely be similar.  Rather than split the market for them, I'll probably pass on designing Hercules engines.

Probably a good choice, as I think you are right, the Vector example is quite nice, and I really didnt expect anything less as far as what the PP would be on a 3D printed version.  Quality costs money for sure

I think round here, most guys are willing to pay for quality though, so I would think as soon as your pit and observers station sets come out Vector may sell a BUT load of 1/32nd Herc engines! 

I would think tailplanes and a torpedo would also go a long way to getting guys (like myself!) jazzed about the old Beau kit! 

1 minute ago, Model_Monkey said:

Excellent!  I hope the cockpit is a big help to many modelers and other vendors like Vector, too.  Nothing like a "win-win-win".

Im already SUPER exited about the possibility of finally getting a big Torp Beau rolling!    You may have already said, but you have a ball-park estimation on when the pit set may hit the market?

Just now, Out2gtcha said:

Im already SUPER exited about the possibility of finally getting a big Torp Beau rolling!    You may have already said, but you have a ball-park estimation on when the pit set may hit the market?

Within the next week, I think, pending any "life happens" events.  I had hoped to be done much sooner than that but researching certain features has taken longer than expected.  Research normally takes much longer than actual design, often complicated by references that sometimes do not agree as has happened with radio position, for example. 

Good news: the "test print" of the basic cockpit shape was completed a few days ago to check its fit in a Revell kit.  It's a tight but good fit. 

I'm designing some of the canopy sill instruments now, tweaking the instrument panel a bit, and completing the pilot's seat which should be done this weekend.  I think that 3D-printed throttles and similar control levers may be too thin in scale to survive the 3D-printing cleaning process, which can be a bit brutal on thin, long features.  I may have to omit throttles from the model.  I'll know more this weekend once I try to test print some.

A bit more good news: I pulled out my trusty copy of the excellent "Naval Weapons of World War Two" by John Campbell and found a fully dimensioned drawing of the British 18 inch Mk.XII torpedo.  According to Mr. Campbell, this was "the standard airborne torpedo for the first half of the war and was still in use later in aircraft and to a limited extent in MTBs."   

If there is demand, I can design an accurate 3D-printed torpedo for your 1/32 scale Beaufighter and Fairey Swordfish models.

Here is a photo of a Beaufighter armed with a Mk.XII torpedo.

file.php?id=116337&mode=view

The Beaufighter was also known to carry the US 21 inch Mk.13 torpedo. The US torpedo was much shorter than the British Mk.XII (13 feet 5 inches compared to 16 feet 3 inches) but much heavier.  If there is demand, I can design the US torpedo, too.  Here's the Mk.13:

file.php?id=116340&mode=view

6 hours ago, D Bellis said:

So, when will the Beaufighter interior set be available? Price point? 

D

A few more days of work is needed, a week at most, pending any "life happens" events.

Not sure of the price point yet.  Once we have a successful final design print in hand, I'll be able to calculate a price.  Please be advised that due to the research and design effort required,  its size, and the time necessary to print it, it is likely to be expensive.  I'll do my best to keep the price reasonable and attractive.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience and encouragement!

Regarding the new 1/32 scale Beaufighter cockpit, the model should be ready by the weekend.

The last bit of research is to confirm the radio location and radio rack configurations for typical Mk.I, Mk.VI and Mk.X aircraft. Otherwise, the last cockpit features have been designed. Here are left- and right-side canopy sill instruments. These features are to be fixed to the interior of the Revell kit's fuselage sides. They are depicted in the renderings below in their approximate positions in relation to the other cockpit parts.

The next project nearing completion is an upper cowling with accurate shape and profile for the classic Airfix 1/24 scale P-51D kit.  The upper cowling of the otherwise excellent Airfix kit is noticeably not as "full" on top, forward, as it ought to be.  The 3D design is based on high resolution scans of original North American Aviation blueprints.  Photos of the first test print are below.

file.php?id=116458&mode=view

file.php?id=116459&mode=view

file.php?id=116460&mode=view

And now for the 1/24 scale P-51D upper cowling for Airfix kits:

file.php?id=116415&mode=view

file.php?id=116416&mode=view

file.php?id=116417&mode=view

file.php?id=116418&mode=view

file.php?id=116419&mode=view

file.php?id=116420&mode=view

file.php?id=116422&mode=view

Edited by Model_Monkey
Clarity.

1 hour ago, Model_Monkey said:

Regarding the new 1/32 scale Beaufighter cockpit, the model should be ready by the weekend.

:thumbsup:  

Your upper cowl for the Airfix P-51D looks amazing. Any chance of doing a main wheel well insert for that kit as well (possibly with a substantial rear wall/spar to set the proper dihedral)? 

Thanks! 

44 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

:thumbsup:  

Your upper cowl for the Airfix P-51D looks amazing. Any chance of doing a main wheel well insert for that kit as well (possibly with a substantial rear wall/spar to set the proper dihedral)? 

Thanks! 

Thank you, D!

Yes!  Wheel well bays with spar for the Airfix kit are in the design queue.  :D

AARRGGGGHHHHH!!!! OH DEAR LORD!!!....I just had a heart attack!!!!!

I've been working on the Airfix 1/24 Mustang for over two years now, trying to deal with the wheel wells and the cowling among many other things. Of course this would come out when I'm almost done!!

However, between the laughing and the crying, I'm thrilled that you are doing this!! It means I will do another one as soon as your parts are released. I had fun, but I don't want to do that much work again!

Seriously, thank you! That is great news. I'll be interested to see if you are planning any other improvements for the Mustang. It is still is a far superior foundation for a 1/24 Mustang than the Trumpeter effort (that looks more like an egg-plane). If you need ideas for other areas that need replacement on the Airfix kit, I have a very long list...

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka