Vallejo RLM Confusion

AlanG

I have been looking at buying some more paints and i like spraying Vallejo as i can get a consistent finish with them (Tamiya is better though imho). Whilst looking at RLM 74 and 76 i noticed they have two numbers for each RLM.

RLM 74: 71.258 Grey Green

RLM 74: 71.054 Dark Grey Blue

RLM 76: 71.257 Light Blue

RLM 76: 71.046 Pale Grey Blue

My question is. Which ones are right?

19 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

The latter numbers.  They reviewed their range when they did their air war series and brought out revised shades for some colours. 

If you mean the higher 200 series numbers, I figured that would be true, but it’s not accurate for RLM81.  I bought their new color 71.264, but it’s a medium green-tan color that looks nothing like the color shown in the photo of Do335 “105”.  I ended up getting the original 71.043 color, which is a dark chocolate brown and more like the photo.  Haven’t seen their 200 series RLM 82, but I’m happy with the old one 71.022.

32957132158_b8357ef875_o.png

Edited by Dave Williams

I find Vallejo paints to be pretty poor representations of the RLM color range in general.

Some of their colors are not even close to accurate.

One of the best model paint manufacturers for RLM color fidelity is Mr. Color, though those are lacquers and not acrylics.

1 minute ago, ringleheim said:

One of the best model paint manufacturers for RLM color fidelity is Mr. Color, though those are lacquers and not acrylics.

And there-in is the problem. I prefer acrylics due to the coshh data files

20 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

MRP is acrylic lacquer.  It’s basically like Tamiya acrylic.  

Acrylic lacquer like the Tamiya spray paints and primers, with the heavy lacquer smell, or the normal jar Tamiya acrylics, which have little to no smell?  Tamiya acrylics aren’t all the same, so some clarity is needed when saying paints are like Tamiya acrylics.

Edited by Dave Williams

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Acrylic lacquer like the Tamiya spray paints and primers, with the heavy lacquer smell......?

Yes. They spray like heaven and smell like hell.

I really don't mind to be honest, as I have a large spray booth that really terminates most of the smell.

As far as how they spray, to me they spray about as opposite as can be when compared to Tamiyas jar acrylics. I've gotten a decent finish with Tamiyas jar acrylics, but not until after a lot of fiddling, thinning and adding retarder. 

MRP sprays like pure gold right out of the bottle

But yes, very reminiscent of Tamiya spray lacquers in the rattle can.

I have a few 10ml jars of Tamiya and and whilst they do smell a little it's not too bad and i can cope with it. But stronger smelling paints such as alclad or enamels would be a no-no. I have a mask for spraying but i don't have an extraction system for the house. Do Tamiya do any decent RLM colour paints? And i mean that as in the main colours for 190/109/110/111/88 etc etc

I like the Vallejo acrylics but their color naming and labeling is a huge mess and not just with the RLM series.  Their Green Zinc Chromate I use as an interior green, their Interior Green looks olive drab to me and their Olive Drab is just brown.  As much as I have invested in these paints, now that I've used a few MRP and Mr Color paints I hope to continue the switch over. 

I actually have four different Vallejo 'reds' just to get to something I could use on a Fokker Tri-plane and the 332nd group Mustangs.  Even now I tend to put a drop of each into a white dish just so I can see what color 'red' I want.

I will say that I LOVE the Vallejo metal colors.  But even with that, I'm switching over to Alclad for the larger surface areas (now using Vallejo for brush painting or for quick paint jobs).  I have a vented spray booth and a 3M Respirator and that keeps my lungs clean.

Vallejo could be more successful if they could get their color naming straightened out.

26 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Tamiya does have Luftwaffe equivalent colors for 74, 75 & 76. However they are in the AS spray can series.

I know. And there is the logic of Tamiya for you. Crying out for the 10ml jars. But they only do crappy spray tins