Duchess Arlene Tamiya P-51D

CANicoll

• 9 months later...

Hi folks!  Well, I took a 10 month sabbatical (apparently) from building but am FINALLY back in the saddle.  I'll get into what's been going on later, but it was really nice to get back to the bench and actually accomplish something.  Wow.

Picking up work on the cockpit, and the goal was to wire the battery and the radio.  It took me a solid 90 minutes to get it all together (including having to hunt around for various bits and bobs I needed) but got both wired.

Really nice to use the Barracuda resin battery and radio, and the parts of the harness.  Apologies for the poor pictures - I am definitely out of practice and still working on lighting.

ilIkVG.jpg

xwRZ7j.jpg

Next up I started working on the seat belts.  Using the nice HGW seat belts and found that after rubbing them between my fingers, brushing them with 1 drop of paint (black in this case) diluted with 4 drops of thinner resulted in a nice stain/wash that really brings out the grain.

This is what an hour got me...  Sorry for the shiny penny.  Hoping tomorrow to get the other seat belt done and the shoulder harness then will attach to the seat.

PJ6n7D.jpg

So, of course, being a bit out of practice, I dropped part of the seat belt onto the carpet.  Looked for a few minutes to no avail.  AHH!!!!  Had an idea - what if I use a lint roller on the carpet?  Well, it worked!

m6HDF2.jpg

vNSs5u.jpg

Yes, I think I need to vacuum a bit more often.. :blush:

Happy to be back and looking forward to posting a bit more often now.  Hope everyone is well.  Since I work from home anyway Covid-19 is a good excuse to stay in and get to my bench more often.

Hope everyone (esp thinking of you BiggTim!) is safe and healthy.

Edited by CANicoll
Re-add lost picture

Latest update from the weekend.  Spend HOURS putting the HGW seatbelts together.  I love how they look, but they are still so time consuming to do.  I think I'm going to scuff up the seat just a little bit since that was definitely a high-wear area, but still going for a pretty pristine look.

5OWyin.jpg

3inMHa.jpg

I am still working with positioning of the shoulder straps and will play with the strap adjustment flaps and such.  Color in the pictures is off a bit - they are not quite THAT stark a white.

oYdEYE.jpg

Also worked on finishing up the sidewalls, adding the bomb salvo lever, the first-aid kit and the chain on whatever that is that the chain is on next to the first-aid kit. Have not added the wiring for the throttle yet.

ImZAup.jpg

And added the oxygen hose to the starboard sidewall.  Have NOT added the canopy release lever (I lost the resin lever a long time ago, working on fabricating a new one.) or the canopy crank handle.  Trying to avoid adding things that I had a high probability of breaking off.

6Nj5Rm.jpg

Overall, starting to be pretty pleased with how this is turning out.  Still, a lot of detail gets lost when the fuselage is closed up (or when a pilot figure is added) but as we all know, WE know it is there.

IZ7EL9.jpg

oYdEYE.jpg

One thing I've noted in some pictures is what looks like a handle across the top of the seat but neither Tamiya or Barracuda replicated.  Maybe that was an after-war addition?

Any detailing I've missed on the sidewalls?  I know there is some wiring and piping not in there.

Thanks for looking!

Chris

30 minutes ago, markiii said:

Looking good, I'm building the same as you. And yes those HGW belts are a pain.

Since you asked, it looks like you missed some stencils on the starboard side wall.

Thanks Mark.  Which stencils are missing?

56 minutes ago, markiii said:

The little box aft of the oxygen regulator and the switch panel below it.

Decals L, M and RR.

Mark:

Yep, exactly right, thanks for the Eagle Eye!  I have the Barracudacal's sheet and there they are.  I don't know if I just didn't get around to putting them on before I had to put the project away, or if I just missed them.  Funny, I did look at where decal M goes when I was taking pictures and made a note to see what was missing.

I'm only doing the cockpit and landing gear on this build - not the gun bays or much of the engine (just enough to mount the prop actually).  If you need any spare bits or decals, let me know.  This is my second Tamiya 1/32 build so have more than a few spare parts.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

Yeah my MK I eyeballs still work pretty good. So many tiny stencils, so some could be missed or even ruined.

Hopefully I won't need any spares, but thanks for the offer. "Knocks on wood"

2 hours ago, markiii said:

Chris,

Yeah my MK I eyeballs still work pretty good. So many tiny stencils, so some could be missed or even ruined.

Hopefully I won't need any spares, but thanks for the offer. "Knocks on wood"

I hear you.  I got all three sets put on this evening, thanks for highlighting for me.  Do you have a build thread on your build?  CN

Great looking cockpit. Hope it’s not too late but the two ‘ wavy ‘ shapes behind the seat mounting are plastic hoses for the cockpit heating/ventilation system and should be semi-gloss black. Sorry if you already knew that but just hadn’t got around to painting them.

John