ZM Ki-45 arrival

Steve Eagle

Simply awestruck:D  I thought this would be a good kit from them, but I was absolutely impressed after opening the box yesterday. I think I will dismantle the vacuform kit I built to use the interior in it  to make an inflight bird from the clear parts included. ^_^  I  have been proud of the build I did on the ID kit, but the ZM kit supercedes all my efforts on it. There are 4 engines in the kit, with nacelles- so that wont present a problem coming up with extras.  If someone does some landing gear, making one setting on tires could potentially be done from the extra parts. I would have liked a few more decal options, but maybe someone will work on that.  My initial impression of this kit is very positive.  I am sure you will need to be very careful about test fitting all the sub assemblies before the final assembly of parts. I don't anticipate problems, but there are A LOT of parts to go together.  THANK YOU, Zoukei-Mura.  This has been on my wish list since I was a kid and a neighbor had one of the old WW II black ID models.    

Awestruck and wow!   The kit is just unbelievable.  Even the boxing and the presentation is impressive.  I too have been waiting for a modern kit of the Ki-45.  My ID models kit is now a historical artifact.  I plan to build variant 'B' with clear view (port side) so the clear parts are welcome.  Too much interior to cover up.  

Thank you Zoukei-Mura and specifically "The Old Man".  This kit is a winner!

Rick

I don’t see 4 engines in the kit.  You get two E sprues, but each E sprue only has parts for one engine.  The actual engine is a two-row 14 cylinder engine, and in the kit each 7 cylinder row is split into a front and rear half.  In other words, 4 parts for each engine ( front/rear for front cylinder row, and front/rear for rear cylinder row)

6 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

I just got mine, too! I am impressed. Lots of parts. Do wish I had the extra variant parts vs. all the clear, but you can nearly build another plane with the extra parts.

Now that I have the one set clear parts for one plane the next boxing (for other variant) can be grey for you guys.  LOL

I wonder if and or when extra sprues will become available.    I want an additional engine sprue at least.

Rick

Looking at the clear/colored parts breakdown, it appears there is a lot missing to do a second kit.  In fact, I wouldn’t say it it was really that close.  The kit has a total of 18 unique lettered sprues, and only 6 of them are duplicated in both clear and colored plastic.  That means you need at least 12 more sprues.  In reality it’s 14, because you need two of the E sprues for the engine, plus even though the F sprue is duplicated, it’s almost entirely clear parts like the small windows for the center cockpit cover and navigation lights, so the extra colored sprue is essentially useless.  Basically the extra parts are enough to build an external body shell, without any engines, landing gear, canopy, or interior.

Let's also remember what was said in another thread about buying extra sprues from ZM (I wish I could find that thread)....   ZM apparently will not sell additional sprues (like Tamiya does) from their kits because of the simple fact that they need to break open a kit to do that which results in an unsellable kit for them.  I'm not sure how they handle missing parts replacement but I'm sure there's someone here that knows.

Edited by Juggernut

13 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Looking at the clear/colored parts breakdown, it appears there is a lot missing to do a second kit.  In fact, I wouldn’t say it it was really that close.  The kit has a total of 18 unique lettered sprues, and only 6 of them are duplicated in both clear and colored plastic.  That means you need at least 12 more sprues.  In reality it’s 14, because you need two of the E sprues for the engine, plus even though the F sprue is duplicated, it’s almost entirely clear parts like the small windows for the center cockpit cover and navigation lights, so the extra colored sprue is essentially useless.  Basically the extra parts are enough to build an external body shell, without any engines, landing gear, canopy, or interior.

I would need to go back through it, but I don't think it is that many sprues needed. Some are interior parts never to be seen again. Don't need those. There are nearly two canopies provided, open and closed. What you will be missing is cockpit, engines, and landing gear. Get those, you got a second kit. If any AM comes out, may lessen the need.

On 2/12/2019 at 1:07 PM, Rick Griewski said:

I wonder if and or when extra sprues will become available.    I want an additional engine sprue at least.

Rick

yes ZM sell the extra sprues, i posted in another thread recently how to do this and roughly which ones you need. 

i recently received what i ordered, with shipping to UK the extra prop, engine, wingspar, u/c sprues came to 5,400Yn (approx $48USD) with 3-day shipping of 4,100Yn (approx $36USD).  Ordering is simple, just email Volks service at either their Japan or US address.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve (for example the kit already has more than one canopy option), i ordered the following.......

E runner x2 (900Yn)

ɪ runner x1 (1,200Yn)

J runner  x1  (600Yn)

P runner  x1  (600Yn)

Q runner  x1  (600Yn)

T runner  x1  (600Yn)

Edited by Dave T
parts pricing info added

I have ordered many times from Volks service, especially when i recently shattered my Horton wing parts, upgraded my Do-335 kit to the 2-seater version and only the other day, extra sprues to make a 2nd Toryu from the 1.5 kits you get in the box

Edited by Dave T
spelling mishtake

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

.........and only the other day, extra sprues to make a 2nd Toryu from the 1.5 kits you get in the box

Good to know.

Out of curiosity what all sprues did you end up having to order to make a complete 2nd Ki-45?