WNW is nowhere near the end of its run...!

Pup7309

6 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I'm sure that's true. I just hope it's MY turn pretty soon.

0OOKhk1.gif

Yeah, whatever it is that you are waiting for, someone is guaranteed to say "we don't need another that, we need more of the other". Why those Gothas? The agony never ends. :-)
Radu 

Edited by Radub

I'm really glad for those that love WnW and its WW1 planes, and long may it continue. 

Although appealing subject matter, all that rigging — arggh!  

It would be interesting to know how many bigger WnW stashes are accumulated purely on the basis of the joy of kitset ownership with little or no intention of building. Or, put another way, how many get sold off once the rigging reality hits home. The bubble bursts. 

If WnW made the kitsets in 1/24 — yeah, I know, that brash scale mostly comprising chromed plastic car kits — the rigging might just be within the bounds of sanity. As it is, I'm secretly hoping Sir PJ develops his passion for Spitfires, and gives us the Griffon versions Tamiya won't.

Tony 

On 4/8/2019 at 7:15 AM, DeanKB said:

I'm not sure "we pay for his hobby"?

As far as I can remember, I didn't have to fight off Peter Jackson from stealing my credit card, I quite happily - excitedly, even - voluntarily paid for WNW kits. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's how all WNW kits are sold - voluntarily. The fact that PJ loves WWI aviation modelling means that, in reality, he's sharing his hobby with us. For that, I'm eternally grateful.

Accusing PJ of "greed" because he's not kitting what you decide he should is the apogee of nonsense. In addition, he employs multiple staff members - on good pay - in New Zealand, directly at WNW and at The Vintage Aviator. He also contracts many more people to print instructions, mould plastic, print decals, etc. Shipping companies benefit, and when his kits are sold - helping to support hobby shops - in Europe, around 20% of the sale price goes to the government in VAT. Then there's the AM market that has grown around WNW. Look at Aviattic, they've benefitted enormously from WNW, as have Pheon, HGW, Taurus,  Rexx, Albatros, Master, etc.

Finally, there is the sheer enjoyment that thousands of us modellers have benefitted from whilst making - and buying! - WNW kits.

That's not greed in my humble estimation.

As for the Lancaster - PJ has stated that he's been working on it for over 10 years, right from WNW's earliest days. Yes, it's not WWI, but it's the single, non-WWI aircraft that PJ has a deep affection and emotional link to, having spent years researching it for his Dambusters remake - he made a full size mock-up as early as 2009.

So it's easy to see that it doesn't herald some sort of general move in WWII subjects, nor does it make an iota's difference to the fact that WNW are a WWI aviation kit manufacturer. They've made around 70 boxing's of kits so far, so the two Lanc's represents less than 3% of their entire output - even less if you factor in the two Gotha's and goodness knows whatever else they release this year. It doesn't matter - WNW's WWI kits are still WWI kits.

WNW are not perfect, but to claim that PJ is greedy and that we are paying for PJ's hobby is, I'm afraid, just ludicrous.

Well put. I don’t know his motives entirely but we have a great thing- a range of WW1 kits that may not have existed before. There could be an argument that he is creating a market, but there was already one waiting.

We collect and stash kits, but an enjoyable hobby is the end result! 

Happy modelling and may your rigging always be minimal. 

On 4/8/2019 at 8:44 AM, Radub said:

I have been involved in model design for many years and I sat in plenty of production meetings. EVERY single model ever produced owes its existence to someone's "passion" and "interest."

Radu

Even Trumpeter's Mustang?

31 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

It is possible to have "passion" and "interest" and work really hard going the wrong way. There are plenty of examples in every field. 

Radu 

5 hours ago, DeanKB said:

No.  I'm pretty sure that is the only kit that was foisted onto the modelling community as a sick, cruel joke, testing the patience of the most hardened scratch-builder...

...I kid, I kid...

Edited by esarmstrong

On 4/8/2019 at 7:35 AM, Kagemusha said:

I don't get the fascination regards Peter Jackson. WnW's have been a great addition to 1/32 aircraft model manufacturers, brought a lot of joy to many of the members on here, producing a raft of kits from well known types to the relatively obscure - to me anyway - yet they seem to get castigated which ever end of the spectrum their release is from. ZM, who produce kits chosen by the owner Mr Shigeta, also have a similar scope of subject matter, yet escape the criticism WnW's and Peter Jackson receive. 

Nice point. Much of the fascination comes from outside of modelling- his blockbuster movies etc.