WNW is nowhere near the end of its run...!

Pup7309

On 4/1/2019 at 7:34 PM, DannyVM said:

What the so called Sir ??? Peter want's, i really don't care. This guy is on the model's kit's market, so he has to go where the customer wants to go, not where he want's to go.

Mmmm no...

Peter Jackson goes where Peter Jackson “wants” to go.

If he went where his customers desired we would have a DR1, a fleet of Spads and Nieuports etc.

Instead we have incredible Felixstowes, AEG’s none of which would sell anywhere near the number a DR1 or Spads would sell.

Peter Jackson releases what he wants and im glad he does it makes it more interesting..

7 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

If he went where his customers desired we would have a DR1, a fleet of Spads and Nieuports etc.

Nothing wrong with that, so why not. The most well know scout's deserves a place in the WNW stable, and he would profit from those kit's.

Instead we have incredible Felixstowes, AEG’s none of which would sell anywhere near the number a DR1 or Spads would sell.

Two great kit's indeed, if i had the room to put them i would sure have those in my stash.

Peter Jackson releases what he wants and im glad he does it makes it more interesting..

Sadly yes, he releases what he want's and in my opinion, the wrong policy, but again that's just my opinion.

10 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Probably similar to the "need" for a Bf 109G-2, G-4, G-6, G-10 and G-14

Good point. If an A/C has similar sprues then they are released in a cluster or over time, depending on the company. Only difference with WNW is that they don't reproduce the same boxing and you could wait a while for the next one.

Edited by Pup7309

24 minutes ago, DannyVM said:

Nothing wrong with that, so why not. The most well know scout's deserves a place in the WNW stable, and he would profit from those kit's.

Two great kit's indeed, if i had the room to put them i would sure have those in my stash.

Sadly yes, he releases what he want's and in my opinion, the wrong policy, but again that's just my opinion.

It's his call 100%. He may have plans for a Dr1 /Spad. Does he plow on without any interest in what the modelling market wants?  No idea. The G.1. was a bold statement. Whether it was meant to be or not is another question.

10 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Probably similar to the "need" for a Bf 109G-2, G-4, G-6, G-10 and G-14

Except the market is hardly missing 109's, whereas the only Eindecker in 1/32 was Battleaxe's rather demanding offering? And I suppose the 109 is one of the world's most iconic aircraft, available in multitude of variants and - most importantly - very cool paint jobs. The Eindecker, by comparison, was not. (Not that I get the 109 fascination. I don't. But I can understand people doing so, purely for the breadth and depth of decals & camo finishes)

I can understand WNW doing multiple boxing's - it maximises revenue from sprues that are 95% the same across each boxing - but doing the four Eindecker variants seems a little indulgent? Then again, owning your own model company is the height of indulgence, so if Peter Jackson wanted 4 Eindecker variants to play with, good luck to him! And the trick of boxing one variant with a sold-out kit in a duelling boxing ensures healthy sales, although the Eindecker kits are slowly getting the dreaded "Sold Out" signs.

I had a quick look at the WNW website, and I'm astonished at the number of kits that have sold-out. I nearly wrote "OOP", but I'm sure that's not the case. The moulds are new and hardly used, and the demand seems to be there - in most cases - for new kits, especially as duelling kits. Last year, I sold a WNW Triplane, an RE.8 and an Albatros "Green Wings" boxing for £200 each, taking an educated gamble that the kits would be reissued fairly soon. As it happens,  the Triplane & RE.8 have been. That makes me happy, but the chap who bought the kits from me has not spoken to me again.

I never thought the Eindecker that interesting.  It even became less interesting when I learned they were all delivered in one finish.  And true, the area under the fuselage does look a bit sticky.

But I still have a year's worth of WNW kits if I was to concentrate on only them.  But if Sir Peter wants to release any mark of 109...  I'll be keen to buy it.

Gaz

6 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

I had a quick look at the WNW website, and I'm astonished at the number of kits that have sold-out. I nearly wrote "OOP", but I'm sure that's not the case. The moulds are new and hardly used, and the demand seems to be there - in most cases - for new kits, especially as duelling kits. Last year, I sold a WNW Triplane, an RE.8 and an Albatros "Green Wings" boxing for £200 each, taking an educated gamble that the kits would be reissued fairly soon. As it happens,  the Triplane & RE.8 have been. That makes me happy, but the chap who bought the kits from me has not spoken to me again.

Its possible they are selling out quicker because they have a wider distribution network? But it depends how they manufacture. If they keep making orders until they decide to pull the plug on a kit, or just do a run of x amount and sit on them until they eventually sell out. No doubt they will turn up again but you could wait a while.

People collect and pay crazy prices. Like any collectable it depends on a perception of rarity etc - how much you are prepared to pay for the OOP box and instructions. Apart from that its the same plastic from one re boxing to the next. All that guy can do is live and learn. The Re8 will sell out again sometime. Swings and roundabouts.

The world economy is slowing down a bit so the recent 10 year sale could be an opportunity for them to move some dormant stock. That way they can clear the decks for new releases. So the SOLD OUT signs might be popping up a bit from now on?

WNW have been going for 10 glorious years without any sign of winding down. But does that mean they won't change their business model?  WNW may reinvent themselves by going into WW2 or doing popular kits in competition with other companies, but that remains to be seen.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:34 AM, DannyVM said:

To be honest, i really don't care what he think's. I see allot reply's over here about Peter jackson this....Peter Jackson that................really, that guy is just is a guy that makes models, nothing more to me, nothing less. Again,his personal favour leaves me stone cold. The only thing that count's is the fact that my money will be spend on certain WNW models which i like. What the so called Sir ??? Peter want's, i really don't care. This guy is on the model's kit's market, so he has to go where the customer wants to go, not where he want's to go.

Sorry Danny but you are 100% wrong.   WNW is the hobby of a very rich guy who happens to have a "thing" for WW1 aircraft.    I highly doubt he's driven by what "the customer" wants, if he was, WNW would be be doing nothing more than offering up boring grey jets, P-51's and Bf-109's.   

Also -  I don't think Peter cares what you think either...  :)

Have no idea if this got mentioned in one of the multiple WNW threads but they are doing a 10th aniversary sale.   Some nice deals to be had.  I think I'll go for the Sopwith Triplane.   Minimal rigging (and mostly stuff that didn't have turnbuckles) and the price is right ($69).

https://shop.wingnutwings.com/

25 minutes ago, John1 said:

Sorry Danny but you are 100% wrong.   WNW is the hobby of a very rich guy who happens to have a "thing" for WW1 aircraft.    I highly doubt he's driven by what "the customer" wants, if he was, WNW would be be doing nothing more than offering up boring grey jets, P-51's and Bf-109's. 

Your opinion, i have no problem with that John, not at all, but that rich guy his hobby is one that concern's us all because we pay for his hobby. That so called thing he has for W.W.1 aircraft took a very strange turn when he chose to release a Lancaster bomber, which is in my humble opinion not a W.W.1 aircraft. I know, many folks here are exited that a 1/32 Lancaster will be......again, released by a second manufacturer. I'm happy for them, but to me, this is just weird stuff by a guy who let His money talk and don't care by other people need's, that's called greed my friend.:whistle:

35 minutes ago, John1 said:

Also -  I don't think Peter cares what you think either...  :)

No need for that, that guy leaves me stone cold, just like his strange decisions whether or not he's rich.;)

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Have no idea if this got mentioned in one of the multiple WNW threads but they are doing a 10th aniversary sale.   Some nice deals to be had.  I think I'll go for the Sopwith Triplane.   Minimal rigging (and mostly stuff that didn't have turnbuckles) and the price is right ($69).

https://shop.wingnutwings.com/

Nice choice! One day we might see the other triplane, the one with crosses...

I just want to shout out a huge thank you to Peter Jackson. His actions are the opposite of the false stereotype of a greedy capitalist who doesn't share any joy with anyone else. His company creates what he wants, but I for one also find joy in those creations. I am very happy to see his joy in his and his amazing team's creations and call myself lucky that I get to share in that joy.

If he doesn't like what I like, then we are different. Oh well. I can make my own creations or hope that someone else like Copper State has joy in another creation that makes me happy also. I saw his movies and paid the price of a ticket, he doesn't owe me anything else. I saw his kits and happily paid much more than the price of a few movie tickets (because I like more of them), but he doesn't owe me anything because of that either. If i like his new stuff, I will hope to purchase some of those too.

Thanks again,

Tnarg

6 hours ago, DannyVM said:

Your opinion, i have no problem with that John, not at all, but that rich guy his hobby is one that concern's us all because we pay for his hobby. That so called thing he has for W.W.1 aircraft took a very strange turn when he chose to release a Lancaster bomber, which is in my humble opinion not a W.W.1 aircraft. I know, many folks here are exited that a 1/32 Lancaster will be......again, released by a second manufacturer. I'm happy for them, but to me, this is just weird stuff by a guy who let His money talk and don't care by other people need's, that's called greed my friend.:whistle:

No need for that, that guy leaves me stone cold, just like his strange decisions whether or not he's rich.;)

I'm not sure "we pay for his hobby"?

As far as I can remember, I didn't have to fight off Peter Jackson from stealing my credit card, I quite happily - excitedly, even - voluntarily paid for WNW kits. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's how all WNW kits are sold - voluntarily. The fact that PJ loves WWI aviation modelling means that, in reality, he's sharing his hobby with us. For that, I'm eternally grateful.

Accusing PJ of "greed" because he's not kitting what you decide he should is the apogee of nonsense. In addition, he employs multiple staff members - on good pay - in New Zealand, directly at WNW and at The Vintage Aviator. He also contracts many more people to print instructions, mould plastic, print decals, etc. Shipping companies benefit, and when his kits are sold - helping to support hobby shops - in Europe, around 20% of the sale price goes to the government in VAT. Then there's the AM market that has grown around WNW. Look at Aviattic, they've benefitted enormously from WNW, as have Pheon, HGW, Taurus,  Rexx, Albatros, Master, etc.

Finally, there is the sheer enjoyment that thousands of us modellers have benefitted from whilst making - and buying! - WNW kits.

That's not greed in my humble estimation.

As for the Lancaster - PJ has stated that he's been working on it for over 10 years, right from WNW's earliest days. Yes, it's not WWI, but it's the single, non-WWI aircraft that PJ has a deep affection and emotional link to, having spent years researching it for his Dambusters remake - he made a full size mock-up as early as 2009.

So it's easy to see that it doesn't herald some sort of general move in WWII subjects, nor does it make an iota's difference to the fact that WNW are a WWI aviation kit manufacturer. They've made around 70 boxing's of kits so far, so the two Lanc's represents less than 3% of their entire output - even less if you factor in the two Gotha's and goodness knows whatever else they release this year. It doesn't matter - WNW's WWI kits are still WWI kits.

WNW are not perfect, but to claim that PJ is greedy and that we are paying for PJ's hobby is, I'm afraid, just ludicrous.

I don't get the fascination regards Peter Jackson. WnW's have been a great addition to 1/32 aircraft model manufacturers, brought a lot of joy to many of the members on here, producing a raft of kits from well known types to the relatively obscure - to me anyway - yet they seem to get castigated which ever end of the spectrum their release is from. ZM, who produce kits chosen by the owner Mr Shigeta, also have a similar scope of subject matter, yet escape the criticism WnW's and Peter Jackson receive. 

Let's not forget either that all Tamiya kits have to have the personal approval of Masayuki and Shunsaku Tamiya both before they enter the design phase and prior to release. Also, the owner of Model Factory Hiro (which is a kind of WNW for cars) chooses all the subjects he wants to kit himself.