WNW is nowhere near the end of its run...!

Pup7309

36 minutes ago, JT68 said:

Yep, I just finished the Hansa Brandenberg Early version, and I cant remember the last time I bought something with that value for money!....everything is in the box to do a very nice model straight out of it, took me a few months to do, just a little work on it most weeknights after dinner, some longer sessions on weekends and rainy days, satisfaction plus when  complete.

Even if they do end up a bit expensive, I work with guys that will easily p**s the price of a Wingnuts kit up against a wall at the pub every night of the week, and thats not even taking in their gambling money on horses and crap, so I think I'm doing ok with the value out of a Wingnuts kit.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Top stuff! Couldn’t agree more. Got that in the stash...can’t wait to do it. Great box art, interesting subject. 

I saw the earlier HB on eBay for over $1200 dollars! Are they nuts?In a years time it could be rereleasd for $200. 

Edited by Pup7309

1 hour ago, STWilliams said:

Why no Be.2, Dr.I, DH.4, Jenny, Nieuports, SPADS, early Albie's, Caudrons, Breguets, Farmans, Macchis, Avro 504k, Short seaplanes, 1 & 1/2 Strutter, Gunbus, etc, etc? Why allow popular kits to sell out? Why not make larger runs, or make further runs? Why kit planes with little demand? Why no marketing? Why just release kits with no warning? Why ignore subjects that would sell in large numbers? Why the secrecy? Why provide decals for competitors kits? Why the reluctance to make kits of already released subjects? Why the Anglo-German infatuation? 

This doesn't seem to be a "traditional kit manufacturer", as I know of no other manufacturer that operates like WNW. Companies tend to want to maximise profits, & I'm pretty sure WNW are not doing that. Making money - probably - but not maximising profits.

It mostly comes down to what Peter Jackson wants to do and when. Anyway what we have so far is top notch, and the unpredictability keeps us guessing!

I think there are some business decisions in there though. For example the reason for not doing a Dr1 and SPAD was not to undercut existing (Eastern European) companies who might retaliate by making copies of slightly lesser quality kits at a much cheaper price. 

The agreement might be for say 10 years, so it could change in the future. Maybe ?

Edited by Pup7309

5 hours ago, STWilliams said:

Why no Be.2, Dr.I, DH.4, Jenny, Nieuports, SPADS, early Albie's, Caudrons, Breguets, Farmans, Macchis, Avro 504k, Short seaplanes, 1 & 1/2 Strutter, Gunbus, etc, etc? Why allow popular kits to sell out? Why not make larger runs, or make further runs? Why kit planes with little demand? Why no marketing? Why just release kits with no warning? Why ignore subjects that would sell in large numbers? Why the secrecy? Why provide decals for competitors kits? Why the reluctance to make kits of already released subjects? Why the Anglo-German infatuation? 

This doesn't seem to be a "traditional kit manufacturer", as I know of no other manufacturer that operates like WNW. Companies tend to want to maximise profits, & I'm pretty sure WNW are not doing that. Making money - probably - but not maximising profits.

Hmmm... Most of that is not really true. You are just repeating the usual made-up "rules" about WNW, which have little basis in reality. We can answer the questions in the order you asked them:

Q: Why no Be.2, Dr.I, DH.4, Jenny, Nieuports, SPADS, early Albie's, Caudrons, Breguets, Farmans, Macchis, Avro 504k, Short seaplanes, 1 & 1/2 Strutter, Gunbus, etc, etc?

A: Can you show me the place where they said that these kits will never be issued "in perpetuity of the universe"? Who dictated that these kits will never be issued? WNW never said that - you mentioned their "secrecy" (will come round to that later). Just because these kits don't exist it does not mean they won't exist at some stage in the future. 

Q: Why allow popular kits to sell out?
A: Why not? It is a ringing endorsement of their success that their kits sell out. Bravo! That is what any manufacturer dreams of. There is nothing that gives more nightmares to a manufacturer than a full warehouse and no customers. 

Q: Why not make larger runs, or make further runs?

A: Costs. Storage. Efficiency. Staying "nimble" in a fickle market. Tons of reasons. 

Q: Why kit planes with little demand?

A: This is a multi-layered doozie! You said their stuff sells out. You said they make stuff in small runs. So, I see no major risks if there is "litle demand". BTW, what do you mean by "little demand"? Just because you do not want it? They all seem to sell well. And anyway, modellers like to 617ch and moan that "why is that manufacturer making only popular subjects? When are they going to make the less popular models that were never kitted?". WNW are making those models in little demand that modellers ask for. So, if this "little demand" label is true, you cannot possibly hold this against them. 

Q: Why no marketing?

A: This is an outright lie. I subscribe to a few scale model magazines. WNW took back-cover (most expensive) adverts for their kits. They also have adverts inside the magazines. They send samples for review to magazines and websites. They have a website where they display models by their customers. They attend trade shows. They have stands at model shows where they had out marketing materials. As a matter of fact, from that point of view WNW have more marketing than Tamiya. 

Q: Why just release kits with no warning?

A: This is an outright lie. They always announce the models a few months before they are available for sale. That is why they have pre-orders. They just announced the Lancaster months before it will be available. Often they issue clear WARNINGS that kits will be announced at certain dates. They place a blank place-holder on their website where they will later place the announcement. In Telford this year, on day one of the show they "warned" that they would announce a new model the next day - that was the Handley-Page O/400, yet another model announced before the released date. 

Q: Why ignore subjects that would sell in large numbers?
A: What? You just said their stuff sells out! Their stuff sells in large numbers already! And again, I return to my first answer: if there is something that you want and they have not released it yet, who dictated that such a kit would never be issued in the future? 

Q: Why the secrecy?

A: Fair play to them! They are entitled to maintain their plans under wraps. This is not different from Tamiya or any other manufacturer. Loose lips sink ships. 

Q: Why provide decals for competitors kits?

A: I am not aware of such a product. I can't find it on their website. 

Q: Why the reluctance to make kits of already released subjects?

A: Not true. There have been previous kits of SE5a, Camel, Fokker DVII, Fokker III, Pfalz DIII, DH.2 from other manufacturers. 

Q: Why the Anglo-German infatuation? 

A: And American subjects. Also they have a kit of a French Salmson. 

You ended with this: 

Q: This doesn't seem to be a "traditional kit manufacturer", as I know of no other manufacturer that operates like WNW. Companies tend to want to maximise profits, & I'm pretty sure WNW are not doing that. Making money - probably - but not maximising profits.

A: Almost all manufacturers operate like WNW. I am quite certain that WNW is not making a loss. They have a great product that never clogs the shelves. It is a success story. Long may that continue. 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

Hello everyone,
if you read Peter Jackson's interview, for him "it's a passion, not a business".
Links : https://www.ouestfrance.fr/peter-jackson-il-nous-raconte-sa-passion-du-modelisme-2291617
(reads easily with a translator).

For the record, wingnut wings, since its debut in 2009, and for manu years, sent its models with the shipping cost offered worlwide. For a model sold 79$, a shipment to England or Germany cost at least 40$. So for profits and margins, you have to forget ...
In recent years, wingnut wings has forged links with distributors around the world to distribute its products in currencies where there is a majority of customers (Usa, England, Germany ...).

If wingnut wings wanted to make a profit, he would whistle to produce that all customers have been asking them for years :  a Fokker DR-1, Spad 7 and 13, Nieuport 11, 17, 23 ... BUT it's not thier wish.
Because wingnut wings does not want to compete voluntary and directly with other manufacturers which have invested money and time in molds ...

Wingnut wings prefers to manufacture AEG G.IV, HANDLEY PAGE O/400, FELIXSTOWE F.2A, SALMSON 2 A-2, Jeannin Stahltaube which do not exist at 1/32 in injected plastic, and this, in "high quality scale model kits" ...

Same thing for the arrival of Copper State Models at 1/32 with NI-17, for wingnut wings, a new entrant on the market is them good news for customers and will help boost a niche market.

Edited by john32

11 minutes ago, john32 said:

Hello everyone,
if you read Peter Jackson's interview, for him "it's a passion, not a business".

He also says that about movies. He spends an eye-watering amount of money on making his movies. Yet he makes money out of it. There is plenty of proof that he is an astute businessman and that he understands how a balance sheet works. It is pure speculation to insinuate that WNW is kept afloat only by the money that he carelessly dumps into it. 

Radu 

7 minutes ago, john32 said:

Hello everyone,
Links : https://www.ouestfrance.fr/peter-jackson-il-nous-raconte-sa-passion-du-modelisme-2291617
For the record, wingnut wings, since its debut in 2009, and for manu years, sent its models with the shipping cost offered worlwide. For a model sold 79$, a shipment to England or Germany cost at least 40$. So for profits and margins, you have to forget ...
In recent years, wingnut wings has forged links with distributors around the world to distribute its products in currencies where there is a majority of customers (Usa, England, Germany ...).

Like his Tolkien films, it’s a boyhood dream come true..

1 hour ago, Radub said:

Q: Why provide decals for competitors kits?

A: I am not aware of such a product. I can't find it on their website. 

I imagine he is referring to WNW providing decals for Roden's Dr.I in their recent Red Baron Albatros kit.

7 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

I imagine he is referring to WNW providing decals for Roden's Dr.I in their recent Red Baron Albatros kit.

That is just because the decal sheet is so sparse that they had to fill it with something. It is part of a kit, it is not "a decal sheet for a competitor". That is no "proof" of a "rule". And in any case, there is no "rule" that WNW will never ever issue a Dr.I. They were asked "Will you do one?" and they said "No". They did not say "never". That means that they were not planning one when asked. They are free to plan one at any stage of their choosing. They did the same with the Camel or the Lancaster. Only WNW knows if they will or won't issue a Fokker Triplane and they will not say anything until they are good and ready, if at all. Anyone who claims to "know" the "truth" about a WNW Dr.I is speaking through their... hat. :-)  

Radu 

No offense whatsoever to the OP but I almost choked on my cereal when I saw this topic. We have a “beating a dead horse” emoji; we NEED a “poking a hornets nest” emoji. Since we all get to pontificate a little, I think WNW is the greatest success story among many recent success stories (Z-M, HK, etc). They’ll be around for quite a while methinks. I have more WNW kitsets (61) in my stash than any other manufacturer. And that was prompted by what I see as their near total perfection in all aspects - design, molding, graphics, web presence, and so forth. Even in the box they are pure joy to behold. IMHO of course :coolio:

jimbo