WNW is nowhere near the end of its run...!

Pup7309

1 hour ago, Pup7309 said:

Yeh interesting. 

But I was thinking about the Handley Page 0/400. I’m now a WW1 convert. But put the Lanc next to the HP on display. The Lanc for me wins hands down. 

I realise that a few people will really want it (the HP) but how many? Enough to justify the cost of making it? They have to sell a lot of fighters to make up for the shortfall. The Felixstowe for me is a more aesthetic option. But eye of the beholder and all that. What it does say to me is technically and financially they can do what they want. But if a kit is a total flop they might have a re-think, or just bring out a batch of popular subjects, and sell a bunch of those.

There is a niche within the WW1 niche who like early kits. 1914/15. So far we have seen the Stahltaube which is visually very interesting. But will we see Farmans, Voisins,  Caudron or even a Be2c ?  I think these are important types but I’d probably pass on the rigging alone or have to justify the cost of stashing it.

At a guess they do what we all want, and other stuff because they can. WNW are a business but do it for the love of it. Their research and quality is just awesome. But in some countries it’s becoming a stretch to afford their kits with US exchange rate, taxes and other fees. 

Just because you prefer the Lanc over the HP doesn’t mean everybody does. And WNW have previously stated that every kit is priced to make at least a small profit.

You’re looking at WNW the wrong way. They’re not a traditional kit manufacturer, they’re the pet project of a very rich man. There’s no such thing as a ‘total flop’ in the WNW world - if there was, we’d have a WNW P-51/Bf-109/Spitfire to make up the ‘short fall’. WNW are like high-end sports car manufacturers such as Bugatti or Koenigsegg. They don’t need to sell many to make a profit, but their primary purpose is not to make a profit - it’s to make as perfect a product as possible. Revell, Hasegawa, Airfix - their primary purpose is to make a profit, regardless of quality.

Yes, WNW kits are expensive - but so is a Bugatti Veyron when compared to a Kia or Hyundai. It’s a shame if you can’t afford a WNW kit or a Bugatti Veyron, but then again maybe you should have worked harder at school. :shrug:

7 hours ago, vince14 said:

You’re looking at WNW the wrong way. They’re not a traditional kit manufacturer, they’re the pet project of a very rich man. 

They are in every way a "traditional kit manufacturer". Yes, Peter Jackson is involved, but most likely he just financed the first kit or two. Then the profits from that funded the next releases and so on. That profit increases with every sale and eventually they have enough money to fund more complex models.

They are not "idiots with money". They have an accountant. They undertand how commerce works. 

Radu

On 2/10/2019 at 4:56 AM, Wegener said:

Didn’t I see something about a Lancaster bomber too?  Doesn’t seem to be any bar to Wingnut making models from periods other than WW1 to me....

And as pointed out, there is still scope for other WW1 types, such as the BE2c.  I rewatched the BBC series ‘Wings’ on YouTube recently.  Fine stuff, in which the BE2 features prominently.

An oldie but a goodie. Not sure if  I’d get the kit but it would complement early eindekker.

Edited by Pup7309

35 minutes ago, wunwinglow said:

I don't understand where folks think WNW kits are expensive!! I think they are priced extremely competitively, given the extraordinary quality of the product.  Now, if I don't have the surplus income to buy as many as I would like, that is a different matter.... 

Hear!Hear!     Could not agree more...My first WNW kit.. it was 79.00 (I think) no shipping...when the box was opened I was like WT?..This beautiful full meal deal for 79 bucks,couldn't believe it..and now,much later after buying and selling(giving away;)) a good number of them I believe they are the most and best researched, accurate,and underpriced scale aircraft you can buy.sorry Mr. Tamiya.

Considering the research etc that goes into them $79, $89, $129 is fine. But depending where you live it’s  $145, $170, $240. 

On another forum a guy from NZ complained about paying USD. He gets stung for exchange and foreign currency transaction rate, taxes etc. This is the reality for consumers in the antipodes now. People like getting things at 20% off not double the price! 

To emphasise: It’s not a complaint about WNWs price point at all. But if they had multiple currency payment options that would be great.

19 hours ago, Radub said:

They are in every way a "traditional kit manufacturer". Yes, Peter Jackson is involved, but most likely he just financed the first kit or two. Then the profits from that funded the next releases and so on. That profit increases with every sale and eventually they have enough money to fund more complex models.

They are not "idiots with money". They have an accountant. They undertand how commerce works. 

Radu

Why no Be.2, Dr.I, DH.4, Jenny, Nieuports, SPADS, early Albie's, Caudrons, Breguets, Farmans, Macchis, Avro 504k, Short seaplanes, 1 & 1/2 Strutter, Gunbus, etc, etc? Why allow popular kits to sell out? Why not make larger runs, or make further runs? Why kit planes with little demand? Why no marketing? Why just release kits with no warning? Why ignore subjects that would sell in large numbers? Why the secrecy? Why provide decals for competitors kits? Why the reluctance to make kits of already released subjects? Why the Anglo-German infatuation? 

This doesn't seem to be a "traditional kit manufacturer", as I know of no other manufacturer that operates like WNW. Companies tend to want to maximise profits, & I'm pretty sure WNW are not doing that. Making money - probably - but not maximising profits.

6 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

I don't understand where folks think WNW kits are expensive!! I think they are priced extremely competitively, given the extraordinary quality of the product.  Now, if I don't have the surplus income to buy as many as I would like, that is a different matter.... 

Yep, I just finished the Hansa Brandenberg Early version, and I cant remember the last time I bought something with that value for money!....everything is in the box to do a very nice model straight out of it, took me a few months to do, just a little work on it most weeknights after dinner, some longer sessions on weekends and rainy days, satisfaction plus when  complete.

Even if they do end up a bit expensive, I work with guys that will easily p**s the price of a Wingnuts kit up against a wall at the pub every night of the week, and thats not even taking in their gambling money on horses and crap, so I think I'm doing ok with the value out of a Wingnuts kit.

Cheer's,

Jeff.