WNW is nowhere near the end of its run...!

Pup7309

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I think most younger modelers are interested in what they grew up with and are familiar with like jets

My two sons are just starting out in the modeling hobby and they both love WWII like me. I know you said 'most' but mine are therefore bucking the trend

8 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I think the market for WWI kits will shrink (not go away) over time.

WNW offers kits in a limited production run (anyone know how many ?)

and that's it until they reissue likely by popular demand. It looks to me like they know the market for their kits is limited.

Yes exactly. They won’t make kits only a few people will buy.

WNW have literally created a market that either did not exist or no one knew existed.  Before WNW there was zero chance that anyone would do a new tooling kit of most of the kits WNW have released.  Take WNW first release the Junkers J1.  No manufacturer would have released that in 1/32 as no one would have thought that anyone would buy it.  

I am comfortable that as long as there is a scale modeling community there will be a demand for WWI aircraft.  WWI airplanes have a certain inherent attraction.  Their use of wood, fabric and colorful markings will always leave us with a reason to build them.  The argument that the market depends on people that have a firsts hand memory of them is entirely wrong.  Most people that remember byplanes from first hand experience, unfortunately we are loosing generationally.  

Now they are only obscurities that show up for enthusiasts to see at the odd air show or museum.  Maybe plastic modeling dies someday, but I am not worried about that.  Maybe WNW decides to cease production or Peter Jackson buys one too many islands in the Caribbean and goes bankrupt.  Anything can happen.  However, until then  I want to quote Aaron Rodgers and just say “Relax”.  WNW going out of business is not an immediate or imminent problem.  If it becomes an immense problem then we can go nuts over it as the world may end and the Zombies finally wipe us all out. 

I am sure they will be around for awhile longer... I had very little interest in WWI until WnW came onto the scene. At the 2010 IPMS nats in Phoenix I spotted a cool 1/32 albatros on the contest table and made the comment that ' someone did a nice job with the Roden kit'. Fortunately the builder was standing across the table from corrected me and filled me in on the kit. I decided to try an alby since it was the only WWI plane I had any passing interest in at the the time. I built it and was hooked.

Now this is what that day turned into...

wnw-2_zpsuqqxfjpn.jpg

wnw-1_zpswmimpd7q.jpg

Edited by The Dude

Wingnut WIngs caught my interest because they made the fantasy of my youth a reality. I remember seeing and wanting the 1/48 scale Aurora kits of WWI subjects like the Breguet 14 and Albatros C.III but I only had the few dimes it took to buy and build Revell or Airfix WWI fighters. They covered half of my ceiling, while the other half eventually became Monogram and Revell WWII US bombers of WWII as my increased resources and Christmas presents provided later. The reality of the K&B or Aurora kits was nowhere as wonderful as their box art led me to believe, and the reality of Wingnut Wings may still be improved upon slightly, but it is pretty amazing. I still hope for the Breguet and the Albatros two seaters plus a lot more. It may be an old man's recapture of his youth, but it is also a re-creation of an incredibly different time that puts today's world into a different perspective.

Tnarg

6 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Yes exactly. They won’t make kits only a few people will buy.

Nope. They make kits of subjects Peter Jackson wants to build - it’s as simple as that.

Being owned by a guy worth half a billion dollars has its advantages.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I am sure they will be around for awhile longer... I had very little interest in WWI until WnW came onto the scene. At the 2010 IPMS nats in Phoenix I spotted a cool 1/32 albatros on the contest table and made the comment that ' someone did a nice job with the Roden kit'. Fortunately the builder was standing across the table from corrected me and filled me in on the kit. I decided to try an alby since it was the only WWI plane I had any passing interest in at the the time. I built it and was hooked.

Now this is what that day turned into...

wnw-2_zpsuqqxfjpn.jpg

wnw-1_zpswmimpd7q.jpg

No man needs (2) Gothas, sell me one! :)

Ryan

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

Is it just me? It seems like WNW generates an enormous amount of conversation at this forum, but very little in the way of build threads or finished models!

WW1 is still a niche subject, compared to airplanes with swastikas or pointy grey jets.   That being said, have you taken some time to look at the in-progress and RFI forums?  Seems to be a pretty good number of WNW subjects waiting for your review. 

All interest segments of this hobby are niches. It is a hobby composed entirely of a million micro-niches. And I don't think there are any modellers around nowadays for whom WNW subjects were the delights of their childhood.... Jeez, I wasn't even born when the English Electric Lightning first flew, and I am nearly 61!!

11 hours ago, Radub said:

Every model kit that ever was or will ever be is a "limited run". That is why we have "reissues". 

Radu 

But are all limited runs the same ?  Is a WNW run the same size as a Tamiya run ?

I doubt WNW's D.VII run was the same size as their Gotha.

I suppose run sizes are secret info  :whistle:

Would be interesting to know.