WNW is nowhere near the end of its run...!

Pup7309

58 minutes ago, DannyVM said:

in mind another company released all ready one.......:oops:

It is possible for similar products to coexist. Just because Adidas makes shoes, it does not meant that Nike should stop. Just because Burger King makes hamburgers, just because Kellogs makes corn flakes, just because Sony males TV sets, just because Apple makes phones... and so on and so forth. I will never ever in a million years understand why some modellers have such an aversion to choice. Models are not mandatory! 

Radu 

I still cannot believe so many people are taking this thread so seriously (no offence to the OP). WNW are like Tamiya. They do what they want, when they want and how they want. We as a consumer probably don't dictate their way of thinking when it comes to releases

As said earlier. Build them and enjoy them.

If WNW never make another model, I'll still have enough left to see out my days. Plus the Roden kits, plus Special Hobby are dabbling in WWI, plus Silver Wings inter-wars stuff, plus Copper State Models movement into 1/32, plus another company would fill the large 1/32 WWI void if WNW packed up, plus the moulds would be sold on, as they are too valuable not to.

So, I'm not worried at all.

4 hours ago, Radub said:

Models are not mandatory!

8cTSSzZ.jpg

How many people under 40 know what a Sopwith Dolphin is ?

The market might shrink away sooner than the company does.

:shrug:

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

8cTSSzZ.jpg

How many people under 40 know what a Sopwith Dolphin is ?

The market might shrink away sooner than the company does.

:shrug:

By that logic, anything pre 1900 or so will have died out by now in modelling terms, yet plenty of ship models exist of that period?

I think you're under-estimating the size of the market for pre-WWII kits. I have no interest in anything with the Stars and Bars or Swastika on it, for example, but that doesn't mean that a market for those kits doesn't exist.

Besides which, we all know that WNW will carry on producing kits of WWI aircraft as long as Peter Jackson keeps on wanting them.

I guess the 3 questions I’d ask Peter Jackson (about WNW) based on the comments would be:

1. You’ve made the Lanc, so can we expect more post war subjects?

2. Might we see a Dr1 or SPAD ?

3. Roughly how many new types and re-boxings are planned?

18 hours ago, Radub said:

It is possible for similar products to coexist. Just because Adidas makes shoes, it does not meant that Nike should stop. Just because Burger King makes hamburgers, just because Kellogs makes corn flakes, just because Sony males TV sets, just because Apple makes phones... and so on and so forth. I will never ever in a million years understand why some modellers have such an aversion to choice. Models are not mandatory! 

Radu 

Very strange comparison.....Adidas sells, Nike sells, Burger King sells ( not to me:whistle:, don't like fast food), Kellogs sells etc. etc......... The Lancaster will be sold to a few modellers, but not to the whole mass......why not, well it's is big, and it is expensive, way out of reach to the most modellers. That said, yes it's a very nice kit and very nice airplane, but still, it's a rarity if it comes to modelling and a dared decision to bring one out to the modelling shelves. Off course, for some of us, it is a very welcome subject that will come in reality and that's great, but With so many other unpublished subjects still to discover in 1/32 scale i find this a very strange decision, and to be honest, the guy from WNW his personal favour, it doesn't make my wallet and i don't care about it because it's internal policy and not our problem what he likes or not.

1 hour ago, DannyVM said:

Very strange comparison.....Adidas sells, Nike sells, Burger King sells ( not to me:whistle:, don't like fast food), Kellogs sells etc. etc......... The Lancaster will be sold to a few modellers, but not to the whole mass......why not, well it's is big, and it is expensive, way out of reach to the most modellers. That said, yes it's a very nice kit and very nice airplane, but still, it's a rarity if it comes to modelling and a dared decision to bring one out to the modelling shelves. Off course, for some of us, it is a very welcome subject that will come in reality and that's great, but With so many other unpublished subjects still to discover in 1/32 scale i find this a very strange decision, and to be honest, the guy from WNW his personal favour, it doesn't make my wallet and i don't care about it because it's internal policy and not our problem what he likes or not.

As I said, models are not mandatory. No one is under any duress to buy one kit or another. It is all a matter of choice. Choice is never bad. I would rather choose from two good models than be stuck with a bad one. 

Models are not a "zero-sum game" whereby there are only so many "slots" allocated every year and when a model is released that takes a precious slot from another. The field of play is open to everyone. 

Radu 

Choice is good but kits are produced in such short-lived runs these days; such that it's hard to seriously get stuck into any one theme.

The prettier Albatros went before I got bitten by WnW. Yes, I know the world has moved on since Airfix in the 1960s and its vast, constantly available, catalogue. However, nowadays things just go past in a blur. 

I've been waiting for WnW to do some IM 54mm stuff, like horse drawn artillery, a tank or two and maybe some classic cars in the same scale as the propeller planes. But I guess there are die cast cars somewhere, probably whizzed and honked as they went past in a blur.

Tony

10 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

I guess the 3 questions I’d ask Peter Jackson (about WNW) based on the comments would be:

1. You’ve made the Lanc, so can we expect more post war subjects?

2. Might we see a Dr1 or SPAD ?

3. Roughly how many new types and re-boxings are planned?

I can tell you exactly what the answers to those questions will be;

1) We have no plans to do so, but 'never say never'

2) We have no plans to do so, but 'never say never'

3) We keep our future developments under wraps until we’re ready to announce them, but we're always working on new kit ideas

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Probably about the same number as the people under 100 who know what it is.  What does being born in 1979 have to do with knowledge of WWI airplanes?  

I was born in 1970, and I have never heard of most of the planes WNW released.  I would say the list I knew would go as follows:  SE5, Sopwith Camel, Gotta, Albatros, Fokker DVII. The rest by and large I never knew existed.  

I am not new to scale modeling either, I can't remember when I did not build models going back at least to 5 years old.

17 hours ago, vince14 said:

I think you're under-estimating the size of the market for pre-WWII kits. I have no interest in anything with the Stars and Bars or Swastika on it, for example, but that doesn't mean that a market for those kits doesn't exist.

I think you're overestimating it. Your interests and mine are anecdotal.

I'm 66 and I''ve never heard of most of WNW's production line. The only

thing that would interest me is a subjects coolness factor, which to most

of us involves different things. Younger people are interested in things they

grew up with and are familiar with like jets.  I think most younger modelers

are interested in what they grew up with and are familiar with like jets. So

I think the market for WWI kits will shrink (not go away) over time.

WNW offers kits in a limited production run (anyone know how many ?)

and that's it until they reissue likely by popular demand. It looks to me like

they know the market for their kits is limited.

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Probably about the same number as the people under 100 who know what it is.  What does being born in 1979 have to do with knowledge of WWI airplanes?  

It was an age picked out of the air. It's not about knowledge, it's about interest

however younger people have little of either when it comes to WWI.

I have absolutely nothing against WNW and I'm glad they do what they do.

I'm/we're  just talking about market evolution here ... right ?