WNW is nowhere near the end of its run...!

Pup7309

WNW do what WNW want to do. There is no limit. Yes, there are some assertions such as "they don't do French subjects" (except that they do a Salmson), ""they are not doing a Camel" (they were not doing one when asked), "they are not doing kits done by other manufacturers" (apart from the RAF SE5, Fokker Eindecker, Fokker DVII, Camel, DH2), "they are not doing WW2 subjects" (Lancaster?). You see, these "hard and fast rules" about WNW that are parroted and regurgitated all the time are not really that set in stone. The truth is that WNW demonstrate all the time that they do not "play" by those random "rules." I am quite certain that they will "break" all of these "makey-upey" rules in the future. As for the "sold out" kits, they can always be reissued. The moulds are still there. So, even if the company were to shut down (but there is no reason to expect that), the moulds will still live on, just like or it happened with most other companies (Frog, Esci, Accurate Miniatures, etc). So, to cut a long story short, the sky is not falling we can still expect great things from WNW :-)

Radu

4 hours ago, Sabre F-86 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to find them moving on past WWI into the 20s and 30s. Can you imagine the quality of a WNW Boeing P-26? There's a pretty good list of USN aircraft from that period which might draw significant interest.

To say nothing of a Siskin, Gamecock, Bulldog, Gauntlet ...

I don't know why, but I'd really like a Siskin please Sir Peter.

How many Windsock Datafiles were printed? WNW hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of WWI subjects. When you have the resources of Sir Peter, you can do whatever gives you joy. Good for him, and glad that his joy matches some of our joy. Thanks a lot.

Tnarg

Hmm... this is a loaded thread topic but is substantially fiction... WNW are in great form, there are stunning subjects still coming up for release, there is evidence (Ask Ray Rimmel, not me) that even more amazing productions are planned... And yes, they don't seem to produce a subject unless there isn't a good Windsock Datafile and plans, but there are Hundreds of subjects available! As some Dude in history said when his obituary was published: " The rumours of my death are greatly exaggerated..." Enjoy your WNW modelling!

Regards,

Marc

There are a couple of things he could do and still stay in the WWI theme.  Mate up some Liberty engines with the Felixstowe and you can do an H-16. No American subjects have been kitted either.  A good JN-4 would be something.  A Thomas Morse S-4C would also be most welcome. How about a Macchi M.5?

R Dann

Everything comes to an end WNW may shut down tomorrow and never sell another model.  There is no indication of when or what they are going to do.  Personally this is not something that worries me.  They could be building models 50 years from now or long out of business.  There is no reason that they cannot tool models for a long time to come.  They also can reissue kits, they have always said they did not plan to but they are not under some sort of contract.  They could do variants of their current catalog for many years and there are a lot of iconic planes from WWI alone that they can do.  There is no reason they can't move past WWI in the future if the desire and feel the need.

There are no rules other than what Peter Jackson or his heirs or assigns decide the rules are or will be.

For me, WNW was the solve regarding W.W.1 1/32 models. They released very interesting subjects in the beginning, but for now, they make strange decisions if you ask me. Going all the way into W.W.1 modeling which is very nice, and suddenly they go W.W.2......with a Lancaster.....:mental::mental::mental:.........keeping in mind another company released all ready one.......:oops:

Nope not my cup of tea anymore. I hope CSM will go further up the road with some interesting W.W.1 subjects which are still uncovered in 1/32 scale.

The Lancaster is not surprising, when you think about it. Peter Jackson's favourite film when he was growing up was The Dambusters, so much so that he's still trying to re-make it. Thanks to that effort, he has lots of data on the Lancaster which he's used for WNW purposes.

Honestly, I think the Lancaster will be the exception to the rule for WNW. It'll most likely be WWI kits (perhaps entering the 1920's occasionally) for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by vince14

I am not going to worry about it. They could easily transition into the Golden Years, and are already dipping their toes into WWII. Plus, I am not worried because even if EVERY model company stopped producing models, I have enough in the stash to more than last me the rest of my life - assuming my mind isn't transferred into an android and I can live forever. Now if all model paint manufacturers stopped I might be in direr straights!

27 minutes ago, vince14 said:

The Lancaster is not surprising, when you think about it. Peter Jackson's favourite film when he was growing up was The Dambusters, so much so that he's still trying to re-make it. Thanks to that effort, he has lots of data on the Lancaster which he's used for WNW purposes.

Honestly, I think the Lancaster will be the exception to the rule for WNW. It'll most likely be WWI kits (perhaps entering the 1920's occasionally) for the foreseeable future. 

I'd be shocked if WNW makes another WWII subject again.  I think the Lancaster was a total anomaly, but an understandable anomaly as you point out.