what block does the Hobbyboss B-24J represent?

nmayhew

38 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

....as it is relies on a combination of tooling and craftsmanship most modellers do not have. 

Well, if they don't put the effort in, they never will have them, will they!!?? If folks who complain, put that effort and fury into acquiring the skills, instead of railing against an unfair World, they might end up better modellers, and, maybe, happier people?  Just a thought....

I know Tim but there is a difference in tooling between what you need to scratchbuild classical parts and what you need to make professional quality clear turrets in 1/32nd scale. I did a lot of tests with friends to vacform large clear parts many years ago (for large scale helos) and can clearly say this is very far from being easy to get correct results. Casting clear resin is even more complex and requires far more tooling. Currently, I do not know five aftermarket companies that master correctly that art worldwide! So, for an individual modeller, this is not just a matter of intention and good will. Even Zacto went back when the guy had to produce canopies...! 

Yes Thierry, I know some of these things are difficult, but just moaning doesn't actually solve the problem, or make you, or anyone else, very happy. I use 'you' in the general sense, not you personally!! I just find the continual moaning really dispiriting, so much so I don't visit these, and other, forums anywhere near as often as I did. And I am extremely lucky to be in the same model club as Iain, so can witness his corrective work on this kit, and others, in person. 

I'd rather be inspired, in other words......

For sure. By the way I did not take that "you" for me! I agree that too often modellers complain rather than take the opportunity to consider the possibility of correcting problems as an interesting challenge. Call me mad but I do not like that much totally accurate lego-like kits as I think my modeller's freedom is somewhat restricted in such a case! That is why I love "surgery" threads such as Iain's ones. This is actually a matter of taste and I totally understand that some other people prefer to be assemblers and good painters rather than modellers. However, for the B-24, I really consider the clear parts issue to be annoying. In that specific case I hope to be able to take a "lazy" approach! 

Just a shout out to Thierry... Thank you for so many of your tweak lists and suggestions on what and how to fix things. I may not build that much, but I appreciate knowing what it takes to make something match the original prototype. That way I can decide if it really matters to me or not, or if that kit is more than I want to go after... considering all the other opportunities out there for more fun building a model.

Tnarg

i have the kit in my stash; the money doesn’t really matter, but my time does

I am not moaning, just saying: if there are no decent turrets, I won’t be building the kit

I have messaged HpH again but not had a reply yet

They are in my view the only hope this kit has of getting built 

i am still surprised to see so many still selling on eBay (and therefore I assume they are still being bought from regular online shops...)

I can only assume people don’t realise the turrets have been moulded ‘frosty’

On 2/10/2019 at 2:19 AM, Iain (32SIG) said:

I'll wager HobbyBoss found a set of drawings and worked from those, with reference to online photos/books for details - and the model isn't based on any specific airframe.

What surprises me - and this isn't a dig at anyone, but an an observation - I'm really surprised that more modellers don't see it as a canvas on which to have a play and expand their skill sets?

There seems to be lots of 'waiting' until aftermarket accessories become available, when a little scratchbuilding/conversion of parts will open up a huge variety of possibilities...

Have we lost the skills?

Or is it fear of having a go at something new?

Confidence?

The kit is far from perfect - but it has so much potential - would love to see more being built!

I'll get back on mine once my two-seat Spit is finished.

Iain

Iain, LSPers,

Totally agreed on what you've said here! I too come from the time of "No Fear" modelling. What I mean is... Though a challenging fear may have existed to go out of a comfort zone to fix, scratchbuild or enhance something, I always just said.."F" it and went ahead and did it. I'm so glad I am wired that way. Not just in modelling but life in general.

I got attacked awhile back on a post about the new tool Revell P-51D for saying about the same thing. Basically an opportunity to "Model" is what I meant then and still now. Though I don't model much lately, when I do, well.... I Model! 

Okay, off the soapbox! Lol

Be good LSPers and PLEASE, go model something as I can't ATM and so wish I could!

Alfonso, the steel balled ghetto kid! Lol

Edited by Kaeone57
Add to what I wrote

Oops, I had only read as far as Iains' post.

Yes, the turrets are a great problem. But we are very fortunate to have "Our" LSP community and all the benifits of many members with connections to solve this issue. We, meaning LSP as a whole can probably put our feeble brains together and solve this! I think?

Okay off the soapbox, again! Lol

Of course it’s unrealistic to assume that HB, or anyone, would include a ton of parts to make every possible permutation of the B-24J.  That said, there are a couple of things they could have done quite cheaply that would have greatly increased the OOTB possibilities.  One very big thing would have been to also include the Consolidated nose turret.  How many extra parts would that be?  Less than 10, I’d wager.  For a lot of people that would probably be enough as they may not know the in and outs of the variants, but do know the difference in the nose turrets.  

The bombardiers side scanning window positions could have been flashed over in the kit nose to allow the many aircraft that didn’t have them to be easily made, and open the windows up if needed.  Admittedly, this really isn’t a big problem since the existing clear windows can just be installed and puttied and painted over.  For the navigator’s windows, they could have flashed over the opening for the wider square windows and included clear parts for the square windows, possible both flat and bulged.  We’re talking maybe a dozen parts, which shouldn’t impact the price much at all.

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It’s another golden opportunity squandered by Trumpet Boss.

Given the way the kit has sold id say the reverse.

An aircraft nobody ever thought they would see for half the price of the competition and selling out everywhere.

Funnily enough an oppurtunity exists for someone like HK, Kinetic, Meng etc to put out a B-24 accesory set with multiple turret variants etc for those wanting 100% accuarcy for glass, turrets etc. maybe slide molded?

Even Trumpeter mght be conviced with the right contacts.

Just not sure it would sell for differences many would not know or care about.

You mght get what 25 preorders from modellers here? Guys who would care...if anything its perfect justification for not pumping the base price up for a load of parts that you would never use on a single B-24.

I doubt the B-24 would justify multiple boxings of the J to split the extra parts to be model specific.

Hence we end up with a great selling generic B-24 at a great price as opposed to a HK specific B-24 that doesnt exist...

As Dave confirmed, it was possible to expand noticeably the kit attractivity with a small amount of additional parts.

This is not the same than releasing twelve different boxes to cover a lot of variants or to add at least two-three large sprues to cover most variants in a single box. There were other solutions between the two extremes that are zero option or tons of versions! I do not thing people were complaining because everything was not covered in the box!

It looks like we have to cross our fingers to see a solution emerging. The very positive aspect is the fact that kit is selling like hot potatoes! So, the probability is very high someone will consider an aftermarket solution to be a profitable option to expand the possible choices.

Wait and see.

So if it’s selling well will they do a ‘correction’ version for a few $ more? (Except the wing, which would require a new mould and that’s probably not going to happen) 

Personally I’m only interested in the J,L,M versions, so not waiting for the D or anything else.

26 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I am sure the solutions will come from small aftermaket companies.

I think that is spot on (I hope). There are SO many ample opportunities for an AM company that has the tools or knowledge to put out a correction set its crazy. The wing to me is not as large of a deal as some see it, but that is perfectly OK, as not all deem the same things as critically important. 

To me the wheels and turrets so far are the big bug-a-boos IMHO. The wheels we know are taken care of my multiple AM vendors, and I honestly believe we will see a B-24 turret set at some point from someone, as was mentioned above.

As has been mentioned, the kit seems to be selling quite well, so that means a higher percentage chance we will see some AM correction sets I think. 

33 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

No, I do not think they will do or at least what they did up to now does not give a single hint they would do that. I am sure the solutions will come from small aftermaket companies.

I wonder will another company see the sales and try to do one or have they missed the chance?