Looks like the Revell Super Hornet is out

Dave Williams

I was really looking forward to this kit, think I'll pass now. I could have lived with the flatish spine, but which these build threads it looks like really nothing fits well at all. I'm seeing all kinds of fighting by modelers with more skill then me on virtually everything. Intakes, wheel wells, exhaust area, the spine, poor cockpit detail, I think I'll pass.But that's just me.

Chuck

Stopped working on mine. Pretty much everything has been a battle. Did some dryfitting on the vertical tails, flaps/slats, ang main gear. Flap/slats looked ok wih exception of big sawtooth gap at root of leading edge. Gear fit needs lots of work, tail fins fit like they belong to another kit. Radome mishapen, started with wet/dry, ended with coarse file to get it close...  on and on it goes....this kit will really suffer with age. Main gear doors short molded...the shape of the spine? least of the problems IMHO.

DON

11 hours ago, Starfighter said:

The main problem is that it takes a lot of work and skill to assemble this kit into something inaccurate in many ways, so why wasting your time on it? 

I'm about 1/4 of the way through the build, dryfitting  parts show it'll be a lot of work ahead. I know as modellers, we're supposed to be able to take a kit, build it and create a work of art, but this kit is a whole new level. Not scared of slugging my way, but sometimes ya just gotta take a break. As for fit of parts, it's like there are parts from a Revell kit, other parts from another manufacturers kit, and the manufacturer is Fisher-Price. Now, I haven't binned it (yet), it's in the box in a dark corner.  Something I will wait to see is aftermarket gear, SAC would be acceptable as the kit stuff feels weak and needs a lot of work to....work.

Don

If you are looking for a challenge, try the Trumpeter Super Bug - it's challenging and annoying to build, but it's extremely easy compared with the Revell offering and looks the part once you've made it to the end... reminds me that I need to take photos of mine.