Looks like the Revell Super Hornet is out

Dave Williams

Waiting for it to join the Blue Angels. The real thing, that is. 

It's the kind of kit I'd like to whittle and fettle while watching the lawn tennis this Spring, but blissfully unaware of any errors (the spine error, unfortunately, already being in my conscious mind).

Tony 

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Available on Revell’s website, from European eBay sellers, and Hannants.  Who’s going to be the first to bite?

On the fence myself.  That flattop spine is a big visible oopsie for me.

Agree...if it was Trumpeter there would be 3 threads two of which would be shut down of guys abusing them for another massive error so blatantly visible.

”How did they miss that” et al...are they blind etc etc..lol.

But its Revell so its ok...

Hopefully we finally get some resin that will fit the Trump kit though..

4 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

Agree...if it was Trumpeter there would be 3 threads two of which would be shut down of guys abusing them for another massive error so blatantly visible.

”How did they miss that” et al...are they blind etc etc..lol.

But its Revell so its ok...

Hopefully we finally get some resin that will fit the Trump kit though..

Darren, your constantly harping on how poor Trumpeter is being treated unfairly and bashing other manufacturers kits to say they are actually as bad or worse is getting quite old.    We all get that you believe that there is an anti-Trumpeter bias and everyone here just piles on, while giving every other manufacturer a free pass on any error they make.  No one is saying that Revell is getting a pass or anything like that.  Please just stop.........

I started this thread to discuss the new Revell kit, and while comparisons to the Trumpeter kit are going to occur, I think we can do without the pre-judgement that any issues are going to be ignored.  There are some real issues in the Revell test shot that have already been noted and commented on here, and on other forums, and if they haven’t been fixed in the production kit, they aren’t likely to be glossed over.  Of course, for some the cheaper price will be a large appeal, but that’s just about people being price conscious, and not Trumpeter bashing.  Let’s just talk about the Revell kit on its own merits and faults and let people decide which kit they prefer in the end.  Please?

Edited by Dave Williams

I'm also on the fence, leaning towards not buying it at all. Definitely won't be on pre-order. I'm gonna wait and see what the actual plastic looks like, and see how tough it is to build before I make my final decision. You can't un-see ugly, and that flat spine and the instruction sheet (which indicates that RoG is not bothering to fix known issues in the build and is rushing this thing to market) makes me super wary.

From my perspective, as a solid ‘average’ modeler, I try to pick and choose my projects carefully. Once I’ve identified/admitted to an emotional pull to a particular subject, I then have to consider whether or not my skills and available time will allow a reasonable chance of completion, to a level that looks good to me once it’s sitting in the display case. I have enormous respect for those on this site (and others) who can take a pile of plastic parts and turn it into a work of art, and enormous gratitude for their willingness to share their work so folks like me can enjoy their builds and pick up a few tips along the way.

Having said all that, the latest generation of Revell kits hit it out of the park for me. They build relatively easily, and look pretty good from across the room when completed. And for someone like me, the price is a major factor. Looking at the new F/A-18e listings, they are a fraction of the cost of the Trumpeter F/A-18e or Academy F/A-18 family offerings. Yes, the Academy kit is amazing – I fully agree. But I simply don’t possess the time, patience, or skills to do a kit like that justice. The Revell kit has plenty to offer to keep me busy for quite a while, and presents an affordable canvass to experiment with various painting and weathering techniques, and I won’t feel completely depressed if I stuff it up somewhere along the way and it never makes it into the display case.

So, to make a long answer a little longer – at this point, once they hit the shelves in the U.S., I plan to purchase one.

Cheers!

John.

Looking at the instructions, I’m not sure this kit is going to be an easy build.  The center fuselage “box” with the intakes and MLG wells looks particularly daunting.  Great for capturing detail, I’m sure, but a lot of parts that have to precisely fit together.

Really interested in a side-by-side comparison with the Trumpeter E, especially the nozzles. 

And seeing if the undercarriage is up to the job of supporting the model. 

The Revell kit is starting to grow on me. Not interested in putting bombs on it or painting it matt grey, but I heard the Blue Angel conversion to the E is scheduled for next year, so anyone recall what Naval Air Centenary schemes existed? 

Tony